Korce (Korça) is the principle city in the district of Korça in Southeastern Albania.
An interesting - though slow - way to get to Korça from Tirana is to take the train. From Pogradec to Korce, it is a short trip by "furgon". The train leaves at 06:00 from Tiranë. Because the train makes a big detour via Durrës, it arrives no less than four hours later at Elbasan, about 35 km from Tiranë, so it should be possible to make a shortcut. The price is very favorable (350 lek, about € 2.5). The second hand German carriages are OK, though for some unclear reasons, the windows are damaged. The scenery is beautiful, and until October it is possible to have the window wide open.
Another way to get to Korça from Tirana is to take the vans or the buses. They are more expensive than the trains, about 600 lek or € 4, but it's a faster way to go to Korça. Along your trip to Korça, you might stop in some small, traditional restaurants, where you can find some of the traditional Albanian dishes.
Several miles from the Greek border, this city is Albania's cultural capital. It is full of life during the summer when you can find couples and families strolling through the city's main park, Parku Rinia. You can hike to the top of the beautiful mountain Moravia and view the city and its surrounding landscape.
- National Museum of Medieval Art (Muzeu i Artit Meshetar Shqiptar), (near the Orthodox cathedral), . M-F 8:00-14:30, 17:00-19:00; Sa Su 9:00-12:00, 17:00-19:00. Fantastic collection; if the door is locked during opening hours, ring the buzzer. edit
- Don't miss the Korca Brewery (famous throughout Albania) which sponsors a week long Beer Festival in the summer!
- Archaeological Museum
- Bratko Museum
- Main Orthodox Church in the town center
- Old Bazaar contains a mixture of cultures; its Ottoman inheritance, the mixture of Albanian, Vlachs, Macedonians and Romani people. It also has a touch from Venice, Paris and lands overseas due to the exchanges with these places. You can find all sorts of things in the market, clothes, pans, electrical appliances, anything. In the bazaar you can find various hans, which are very traditional and the owners are very friendly. Like any other outdoor market in Albania, the bazaar closes after lunch. If you want to visit and buy things in the bazaar you should hurry before it gets closed.
- Kamenica Tumuli plus Muesum (5km from Korca)
- Mësonjëtorja is the first school in Albania, opened on March 7, 1887. Today the building is a museum, and you can go and visit it from inside. Inside, you can find various documents that show the development of the Albanian education. Before the school was created, education was only given by travelling teachers.
- Trenit Cave
- Visit Dardhe village, about 18 km from Korca. It is perfect for hiking in the summer, skiing in the winter and sightseeing all year round. Inside the village is a small quiet church on the top of the main mountain. There is also a very nice luxury hotel called Hotel Dardhe, and nice restaurants which make traditional Korca lakror.
- Take part in the Byrek Day (Festa e Lakrorit) showcasing local delicacies
- Go for a walk in the evening as part of the traditional Xhiro (walkabout)
- Go for a hike in the Morava Mountain
- Visit the historic and alpine villages of Dardhe, Moscopole (Voskopoje in Albanian), Boboshtice and Vithkuq
- Visit the Drenova Fir National Park and Prespa National Park nearby.
- Visit the famous bazaar of Korça
- Celebrate Earth Day Festival in Dardha
- Celebrate the Beer festival in Korca, usually happening around 10-14 August each year. Includes concerts and games and lots of beer!
- Sweets in "Bonboneria". It's the best and the oldest bakery in Korça. It is very close to the center of the city, near the Orthodox Church. It's a very famous and popular bakery, and a point of orientation. If you want to buy some good quality traditional sweets, you should visit the "Bonboneria".
- Lakror, a type of Byrek with Spinach
|| This article or section does not match our manual of style or needs other editing. Please plunge forward, give it your attention and help it improve! Suggested fixes: None specified. Please use the article's talk page to ask questions if you are not sure why this tag was added and whether it is safe to remove it.
(Naer Grand Hotel)
St: “Midhi Kostani”
- Hotel Kocibelli, Sheshi kryesor (just north of the bus station). Used to be called Hotel Turizem in the communist days. Refurbished, quite clean. Rooms are not as modern as facade, but OK. Free internet; breakfast included. English speaking receptionists. edit
- guest house Bujtina Leon, Shpresa Palla 3 (Behind the cathedral, next to the greek consulate), ☎ 00355-694366504, . Very nice little traditional hotel, ideal for relaxation. Recently renovated, offers flat screen tv to every room and breakfast in a beautiful room of wood and stone by the fireplace. 45 euros. edit
- In-Kub, Parku Rinia (In front of the Stadium), ☎ 00355693667657. Offering double rooms. The place is centrally located and you can visit all the main locations by foot. Perfect if you're looking for a clean and safe accommodation. The rooms are located on the top floors, there is a bar on the 1st floor and an underground club that are mainly active during the weekend and summer period. The place's very clean, has modern toilets, hot water and near several local eateries e.g. Beer fest and restaurants. It has TV and offers free WiFi. Water, tea and coffee are available for free, AC and fridge are available as well. Local breakfast is not included. Staff is friendly and helpful, English speaking. edit
- Life Gallery Hotel, Bulevard Republika nr 24 Albania (In the center of Korca.), ☎ 00355667090222, . A luxury, five-star hotel located near Korca's finest park. It is also walking distance to Korca's famous cathedral. There is a high-quality restaurant with many different types of foods. Staff is English-speaking. edit
- Greece (Γενικό Προξενείο Κορυτσάς), Pavllo Katro Nr.4 (behind the cathedral, big blue-painted building), ☎ +355 82 252 889, Emergencies: +355 69 368 9855 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +355 82 245 052), . 08:30-16:30 (for applications= 09:30-13:00). edit
- Kastoria, Greece
- Kozani, Greece