Kokrobite is a beach on the Ghanaian Coastal Plain. Though geographically close to Accra (25km), Kokrobite Beach feels as if it is a world away from the hustle and bustle of the big city. It's an ideal place to spend a few days relaxing while soaking in the view of this tropical beach.
As with any beach, do not leave items unattended. Valuables and electronics should preferably not be brought onto the beach. Use your best judgement. This beach is known to have pickpockets. It may also be a good idea to ask about swimming conditions before entering the water.
From Accra, go to Kaneshie Station. You may have to ask around in order to find your way to the tro-tros leaving direct to Kokrobite, as they depart from a back corner of the station. As of December 2011, the one way fare was one cedi per person. Kaneshie is roughly 25km from Accra, and the drive will likely take over an hour (possibly much more depending on traffic). Most travelers to Kokrobite will want to disembark at the very last stop. If in doubt, ask the tro-tro mate for "Big Milly's."
After leaving the tro-tro, the most popular beachfront hotels are just a short walk down dirt roads. The directions are clearly signposted.
Within Kokrobite, you'll likely just walk. Taxis and tro-tros are available at the main road.
- Relax on the beach.
- Buy fabrics, clothing, crafts or souvenirs from one of the many vendors.
- Enjoy a nice meal and drinks at one of the restaurants.
- Watch the colorful fishing boats along the shore.
- Excellent souvenir stalls can be found near Big Milly's Backyard. Vendors sell a variety of clothing, carvings, and instruments at reasonable prices. As with most curio shops in Ghana, haggling is expected.
Meals: Big Milly's Backyard and Kokrobite Gardens are recommended.
Snacks: In case your sweet tooth kicks in, Big Milly's has a small snack bar stand located inside the premises, selling cookies and candy.
Fruit: Fresh bananas and pineapples can be purchased from vendors on the beach.
- Beer, soft drinks, and bottled water are available at every hotel.
- Enjoy a mixed or blended drink at Big Milly's Backyard.
- "Pure Water" sachet bags can be purchased at the beach.
- Big Milly's Backyard -
Probably the most well known hotel in Kokrobite. Directly on the beach. A good menu with international cuisine and breakfasts (7 - 15 cedis), a bar, and a cocktail & juice bar. A range of rooms are available at various prices. Curio sellers are on site. As Big Milly's is a popular destination with the backpacker crowd, it seems an excellent place to meet other travelers. A book exchange is also available at the reception office. http://www.bigmilly.com/
- Korkor Inn -
Two spots down from Big Milly's with direct access the beach. This hotel includes a large suite with bedroom, large bathroom, living room, and a balcony overlooking the beach. Ocean views directly from the room's living room area (~50 cedis). Korkor Inn is a good value for a beachfront view and seems to be a popular place for Ghanaians to eat and drink on busy days. The kitchen can prepare jolof rice and fried rice (~10 cedis).
- Kokrobite Garden -
Double rooms here were only 25 cedis and seemed like a very good value. A very nice garden area with hammocks, tire swing, and gazebo. The garden area is kept meticulously clean, and the rooms likely are as well. The guesthouses are owned by a friendly Spanish couple who have young children. Even if you decide not to stay here, it's still worth coming by for a meal. They serve excellent Italian pastas and pizzas in the 12 - 20 cedi range. Kokrobite Garden is a peaceful place to relax, and while not directly on the beach, it's an extremely short walk to the water. http://www.kokrobitegarden.com/
- Sobamba Beach Resort, Kokrobite, ☎ +233 28 967 0110, . Sobamba Beach Resort is located directly on the beautiful Kokrobite Beach and offers 4 rooms as well as a great Italian restaurant. Sobamba offers standard and deluxe rooms. Standard rooms are equipped with ceiling fan (and of course the refreshing sea breeze) and deluxe rooms are airconditioned. Standard: 25 USD Deluxe: 35 USD Fabrizio is an excellent Italian Chef who will surprise you with the fresh products the sea and the region have to offer but always with an Italian "twist" edit
Tro-tros to Accra leave from the paved road. It would be wise to ask your hotel for the best time to leave.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|