Kisoro is a town in Western Uganda, near the border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Rwanda.
Kisoro is about 550 kilometres from Kampala city. The common means of travelling to Kisoro is through taking bus coaches which can cost any where between USD 10-20. There are several bus companies that operate on the Kisoro-Kampala route. Some of these companies are Jaguar, Bismarkan, Horizon and the Post Bus. Most people tend to prefer taking the Post Bus which is regarded to be more comfortable. The journey from Kampala to Kisoro can take any where between 8 and 10 hours. However it is also possible to get a car hire though more costly.
For people travelling from abroad directly to Kisoro, flying to Kigali city in Rwanda is the best option. Kisoro is just 3 hours drive from Kigali which makes the road trip shorter compared to driving from Kampala.
Kisoro also has an airstrip that serves chartered flights from Kampala
Getting around in Kisoro is possible. The most common mode of transportation used by the local people are motorcycles locally known as "boda bodas." However it's advisable whenever riding a bodaboda to put on a helmet as a safety measure. You can also a hire a matatu to take you around. For information on how to get a taxi or matatu, contact the Mgahinga Gorilla National Park office in Kisoro town.
Kisoro Travel Guide , a local tourist information portal can also be useful in getting ideas on how to explore different places in Kisoro district and surrounding places.
- Virunga Volcanoes, Kisoro, Uganda, . While in Kisoro, you have options to hike three volcanoes; 1. Mt. Muhavura which 4,127M, 2. Mt. Gahinga which is 3,474M and 3. Mt. Sabyinyo which is 3,645M. edit
- Lake Mutanda, Kisoro, Uganda, . Lake Mutanda is an ideal place for those who love swimming and canoeing. Mutanda Eco Community Centre, which is a community owned lodge at the lake can be contacted to arrange these activities. Check the web-link for contact details. edit
- Mountain Gorilla trekking either in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park or Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. You could also plan hiking the Virunga volcanoes (Muhabura, Gahinga and Sabyinyo). There are local tour companies you can go through while booking for these activities. One of the local tour companies is Bamboo Ecotours who offers gorilla tracking, game drives, education tours, volunteer tours and community experiences such as the Batwa Trail. You can contact Bamboo Ecotours at firstname.lastname@example.org or Visit Bamboo Ecotours website for details. http://www.bambooecotours.com
You can get a gorilla trekking permit for Mgahinga at the Uganda Wildlife Authority in Kisorotown for $600 ($350 low season in April, September, October). Moses (077 874 6242) can take you from town on a motorbike for 3000 ush. He's great. The gorilla group is headed by Mark with four other silverbacks, two female adults, two juveniles (one named machati, super active and playful, will come up to tourist), and there's a baby gorilla pisasa, only 8 months as of March 2014.
- Golden monkeys in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. Golden monkey trekking is another memorable activity to carry-out in Kisoro. The trip starts at the main gate of Mgahinga park and then takes your inside the forest where you encounter the golden monkeys in the jungle.
- Lake Mutanda community walk []. Lake Mutanda is one the best places that you can't miss to see. The lake is often regarded as the most stunning lake in Uganda. On your walk to the lake, you are able to see the Virunga ranges, the western rift valley escarpment in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The walk also takes your through community farmlands where you run about the local farming systems. Some of the activities you can do at lake Mutanda include otter viewing, canoeing, swimming and boat riding.
- The Batwa Trail, Kisoro, Uganda (Mgahinga Gorilla National Park), ☎ +256-778-443056, . The Batwa Trail is one day activity in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park that features the lives of the Batwa indigenous peoples before they were relocated from their forest homes. The Batwa Trail is a great experience that gives an insight into the deep cultures of this marginalized community. You can book the Batwa Trail tour directly from Uganda Wildlife Authority or through your preferred local tour operator. The official website of the Batwa Trail seems not to be working any more. edit
- Echuya Forest A community group, Echuya Eco-tourism Association is now offering guided hikes in Echuya Central Forest Reserve for 30,000 Ugx. The reserve is located half an hour outside of Kisoro on the road to Kabale. There are two trails which cross forest, bamboo, and a rare high altitude swamp. Cultural visits with Bachiga, Batwa, and Bafumbira communities are also possible. Self-sufficient campground 20,000 Ugx. Contact: +256-392-584882 email@example.com
Talk your way into DR Congo. If you take a motorbike about 30 minutes to the border there is a sign that says "You are now leaving Uganda and entering Zaire", which makes a great picture. We talked our way across the border and there is a small village there, with the rebels being rather friendly, but do so at your own risk.
In your free time, you can also volunteer at community projects. Mgahinga Community Development Organisation,[[]] a local NGO has a couple of volunteer opportunities where volunteers can work on several projects like teaching computer and sports lessons at community schools.
Kisoro has a lot to offer when it comes to shopping. Kisoro market is open every Monday and Thursday. There is plenty of stuff you can buy ranging from fresh fruits to fabrics. There are also lots of shops that are open every day along Kisoro main street. Kisoro is also known for handcraft shops where you can buy gorilla musks, t-shirts and other hand made things.
There are a couple of good places where you can find delicious food. One of the favorites is Graceland Motel which is located on the main street close to the District Local Government offices. For those who like taking coffee, there is a new coffee place called "The Coffee Pot," which is in the same building as the Mgahinga Gorilla National Park office.
Most guest houses and hotels in Kisoro sell drinks but if you want to go out some where else for a drink, there are a number of places where you can go. Heritage Guest House on the main street has a friendly bar and then Club striker on Mutanda road. There are other hanging out places along Mutanda road.
- Lake Chahafi Resort, P.o.Box 283,Kisoro (on Kisoro Cyanika border braching at Muganza( follow the green signpost at this junction)), ☎ +256782754496, . checkin: 12:00 pm; checkout: 10;00 am. Located on shores of Lake Chahafi in south eastern direction near Rwanda border, you can stay here if you wish to go for Gorilla trekking or relax after, do not miss the sorroundings, visit the colonial hostorical battle fields on the northen shore, take a walk to the border with Rwanda( Pillar No 5) or go bird watching or have a canoe trek.For bookings call Nelson at +256782754496 or email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org from USD 8 -50. edit
- 3 way Gorilla Resort Campsite, Chanika Rd (South Western Uganda), ☎ + 256772414050. 3 Way Gorilla resort is situated in Kioro Town edit
- Golden Monkey Guest house, (Kisoro town Behind UWA office), ☎ +256 772 435148. Cozy budget place in central location, with the best food in town.contact the manager. Really helpful staff which opened up the kitchen again for me in the late evening and helped me to organize a transport on the next morning. edit
- Comfort Inn is nice and the cheapest option with rooms starting at 3000 shilling.
- Kwizera Herbert, 3 way Gorilla resort Campsite (South Western Uganda), ☎ +256772414050. 3- Way Gorilla Gorilla resort is a new campsite situated in Kisoro Town. It offers a wide range of service ranging from camping, functions, A la carte menu, Hostel and Bandas. It is strategically located for Gorilla tracking in Bwindi, Mgahinga aand Rwanda, Bird watching and agri tourism It caters for all classes of visitors with considerable budget. edit
- Mutanda Eco Community Centre. This is an eco-lodge located at lake Mutanda, just 6 kilometres from Kisoro town. The lodge has 4 bandas that accommodates 10pax and one dormitory with two bunk beds which can accommodates 4pax. The lodge also provides ample camping space over looking the lake Mutanda, one of the most visited attractions in Kisoro. For bookings, send an email to: email@example.com or call Festo at +256-782-306973 or Sheba at +256-772-435148. If you are in Kisoro town, you can make your bookings at Golden Monkey Guest House, right behind the Mgahinga Gorilla National Park office. For more information about Mutanda Eco Community Centre, visit this link 
For mid-range options, Travelers Rest Hotel in Kisoro town and Mt. Gahinga Lodge near the main gate of Mgahinga Gorilla National Park are the best options.
Clouds mountain gorilla lodge
Take a walk around town or hike Nyabitare hill where you will have a full view of the entire Kisoro district. The hill is a good spot for taking cool pictures especially in the evening hours. Nyabitare is also a good spot for site seeing especially Lake Mutanda and the sunset.