Kikugawa (菊川市 kikugawa-shi) is a city located in Shizuoka prefecture. The city is known for production of green tea.
There are three conveniently located airports near Kikugawa, in Nagoya (Central Air), Shizuoka, and Narita (Tokyo). By car or bus, it takes two hours from Nagoya, six hours from Narita, and 40 minutes from Shizuoka to arrive in Kikugawa.
Kikugawa is located on the Tokai JR train line. From Shizuoka, the train is 720 yen and takes 40 minutes. From Kakegawa, the nearest Shinkansen and major bus stop, it is 190 yen and takes 5 minutes.
The Kakegawa Shinkansen stop is on the Tokaido line. Only Kodama trains stop at this station; they run about once an hour. It is an hour and a half from Tokyo (7650 yen), an hour from Nagoya (5130 yen), and two hours from Shin-Osaka station (9950 yen). The Shinkansen is the fastest way to get to Kikugawa from many major cities.
There is a bus from Nagoya's international airport to Kakegawa, called the Entetsu E-Wing, which costs 3400 yen and takes about two hours. They leave about every half-hour except around lunch, when there is a bus every hour.
- Aoi Rental Car, Shimouchida 1571-1, 0537-36-3255.
- Kikugawa taxi limited company, 053-736-2321.
- Ota Rental Car, Takahashi 2402-4, 0120-73-5661.
There are two kinds of buses. One is
- The community bus, 0537-35-0925, costs 200 yen for all journeys. This bus does not run on Saturday, Sunday, Festivals, the New Year’s period.
- The Shizutetsu bus, 0537-86-2385, runs from Kikugawa station to the Hamaoka bus office. The last bus stop is Sakuriya Kaiyou international school entrance in Kikugawa.
- Ozika Pond Tomita 2593, ☎0537-35-1751. The most famous pond in Kikugawa, a popular fishing spot.
- Hikoichijuku, Ogasa-gun Kikugawa-cho Tomita 2593, ☎0537-35-1751. They offer experiences in traditional Japanease life such as making buck wheat noodles, picking tea leaves, and splitting firewood.
- Hitsurugi Mountain,, Tomita, ☎0537-35-0937. There are many activities at the top of this mountain including a fine view from the look-out point, walking courses, a 70-meter roller slide and a campground.
- Kikugawa Sport Ground, Nishikata 898, ☎0537-35-0919. The sports ground houses a baseball stadium, sport facilities and various playground equipment. Various big tournaments are held here.
- Blueberry no Sato, Shimohirakawa 667-2, ☎0537-73-6636. This place offers blueberry picking and sells pasta, wine, sweets and so on. All of the products are made from blueberries grown locally.
- Ebirado, Mineda 949, ☎0537-73-2109. Pick up some of the local sweet, known as shiroshita-gashi.
- Ikemura Kanko Melon Association, Kamihirakawa 1297, ☎0537-73-4317. Local melons and canteloupe.
- JA Enshu Yumesaki, Hanzumi 1100, ☎0537-36-4355. Direct sales of locally grown green tea.
- Tomutomu no Sato, Shimouchida, ☎0537-36-1630. Local tomatos.
- Coco's Restaurant, Kamo 3313-1, tel. 0537-37-0701. 10AM-2AM.
- Gusto Restaurant, Hanzumi 1740, tel. 0537-37-3502, . 8AM-2AM.
- Kappa Sushi, Kamomiyanonishi 2737-1, tel. 0537-37-2288. 11AM-11PM.
- Minamikazeen, Furuya 673, ☎0537-35-0937. This is a large garden and restaurant. The garden displays many kinds of garden plants and sells various products made from aloe.
- Mos Burger, Kamo 2194-1, tel. 0537-36-5515. 8AM-12PM, .
- Niko Niko, Nishiyoko-chi 2-3, tel. 0537-35-6618, . 11:30AM-9PM. Closed on Wednesdays.
- Pony's Toy, Horinoutsi 236-1 (near the station), tel. 0537-35-2819. 10AM-10PM. Closed on Tuesday.
- Rouko Ramen, Kamo 2735-1, tel. 0537-36-0910.
- Sawayaka, Kamo 2636, tel. 0537-36-1106, . Mon－Fri, Sun 11AM-12AM, Sat 11AM-1AM. Shizuoka's favorite hamburger steak restaurant has a location here.
- Shabu Shabu, Kamo 5270, tel. 0537-37-0535. Weekdays 11AM-2PM, Sat-Sun and holidays 11AM-2:30PM and 5-10PM.
- Shusai ya Obune, Kamo 4948, tel. 0537-35-4030, email@example.com
. 11:30AM-2PM and 5:30-11PM, closed Mondays.
- Sukiya, Kamo 2659. Open 24 hours open.
- Wagyuu Yakiniku, Kamo 2697, tel. 0537-35-0616, firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Sat 5PM-3AM, Sun and holidays 4PM-12AM.
- Business Hotel Hyungen, Kamo 452-3. Check-in: 5PM, check-out: 10AM. Single ¥5795, twin ¥9345.
- Business Hotel Tachibana, Horinouchi 277-5. Two minutes from Kikugawa station. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 10AM. Single ¥5670.
- Hotel Route Inn, Kamo 2100. Large public bath-room. There is a restaurant. Check-in, 3PM, check-out: 10AM. Single ¥5560.
- Kakegawa has a fine castle and a number of other attractions.
- Oigawa Steam Locomotive, (from JR Kanaya Station, one stop east), . This old-fashioned steam locomotive travels up the scenic Oi River Valley to Lake Ikawa. There are two legs of the line; the stretch between Kanaya and Senzu runs 1810 each way, and the stretch between Senzu and Ikawa runs 1280 each way. From Senzu Station, another 860 will also get you a bus which runs to the famous Sumata Gorge Onsen, about 40 minutes away. The gorge has a unique and beautiful 90m-long suspension footbridge, and offers some excellent hiking opportunities.
- Omaezaki, to the south, is a great place to hit the beach.
- Shizuoka, the prefectural capital, is a short day trip, with plenty of shopping and restaurants.