Kiama is a town in the southern Illawarra, south of Wollongong, Australia.
View from the headland back towards the blowhole and town
Located 90 minutes south of Sydney, it's famous for its spectacular coastline and rural scenery. With a population of over 20,000, the local government area covers 256sq km with the main urban centers being Kiama, Gerringong, Jamberoo, Gerroa and Kiama Downs.
Kiama has a rich heritage based on dairy farming and quarrying. Today's economy remains strongly supported by rural activities as well as a burgeoning tourism industry. The area has a vibrant arts sector and a strong sense of community.
Kiama is around 30 minutes past Wollongong, around 90 minutes from Sydney. Metroad 1 to the edge of the Sydney Metro, and National Route 1 south to Kiama.
To get to downtown Kiama, catch a Cityrail  train from Sydney or Wollongong. Trains run every hour or so, but it is worth checking the timetable before your trip. Kiama is part of the suburban network, and no reservations are possible. It is an easy walk from the train station to the beach, the blowhole, and the shopping centre.
Off peak (weekends, and after 9am) return tickets are $10.80 for adults, and $5.40 for children. It is worth considering as a Sunday Funday destination, when a family can travel for $2.50 per person.
Get off at the stop before Kiama right on Bombo Beach.
A bicycle route stretches from Bulli in all the way down the coast to Kiama, with only a short stretch on the main road. The route from Dunmore station down to Kiama is all off-road or quiet road. There are a few steep hills going over the headlands as you come into Kiama, with the final one probably being the steepest. The cycleway follows the rail line for large parts of the final section. The railway tunnels through the headland, leaving the cyclist to ride over it.
- The Blowhole. In the right tide and surf conditions, the blowhole sprays water high into the air. Probably the most visited attraction in Kiama. free. edit
- The Lighthouse, (On lighthouse road, on the peninsula, next to the Blowhole). I free. edit
- Lookout at the view. Kiama is located on some of the most picturesque and beautiful coastline on the South Coast of New South Wales. edit
- Little Blowhole, (A little further south of the main blowhole). edit
- Fishing. People fish from the wharfs, from the rocks, and there are many fishing charters available
- swimming. Patrolled beaches are just to the north and south of Kiama town. Central Kiama doesn't really have a beach, more a harbour. There are tidal rockpool next to the blowhole and harbour for swimming.
- Kiama Leisure Centre. Swimming pool and fitness centre.
- Boating. Public access boat ramps.
- Jamberoo Recreation Park, (A short drive from Kiama town. No public transport access.). Chute toboggan rides, water slides, including the the tianpan, a 5 person tube in darkness. Must of the water isn't heated, so best on a hot day. Extensive picnic facilities, as well as food vendors. edit
- Kiama Shores Cafe, 45-51 Collins Street, Kiama 2533, NSW Australia, ☎ +612 4233-1100, . Why not relax in Shores Cafe with a coffee and enjoy our home-baked treats. edit
- Shores Cafe, 45-51 Collins Street, Kiama NSW 2533, Australia, . Relax in Shores Cafe with a coffee and enjoy our home-baked treats. edit
- The Sebel Harbourside Kiama, 31 Shoalhaven Street, ☎ +61 2 4230 7500, . Contemporary South Coast NSW hotel offering Kiama accommodation only 90 minutes from Sydney. Kiama accommodation overlooking Kiama Harbour and walking distance to the famous Kiama blow hole. edit
- Kiama Shores Motel, 45-51 Collins Street, Kiama 2533, NSW, Australia (http://goo.gl/maps/DJAHr), ☎ +612 4233-1100, . 50 Rooms, 22 with Spas & Balconies, Air-Conditioning, Disabled Facilities, New state of the art hot water system, New Wide Screen Digital LCD TVs (42in), Inground Saltwater Pool, Foxtel. Wi-Fi and BBQ” 90 minutes from Sydney. Kiama Shores Motel accommodation is just minutes away from the famous Kiama Blowhole,across the road from the historic Kiama Terrace shops, walking distance to the Light House, Kiama fishing locations, Kiama beaches and a short drive to the golf courses in Kiama and nearby by suburbs. edit
Kiama Municipal Library has Internet access for free.
Wollongong and Sydney are both a day trip from Kiama. Further south towards Nowra, Jervis Bay and the South Coast.