Khujand is a city in Tajikistan.
Khujand is the second largest city in Tajikistan (163000 inhabitants). It is located in Ferghana Valley on both banks of Syrdarya river. During Soviet times it was named Leninabad.
There is an international airport in Gafurov, 10 km from Khujand. Often Gafurov is referred to by its Soviet name - Chkalovsk. Khujand airport has many flights to Russia.
Shared taxis and marshrutkas to Dushanbe, Penjikent, Istaravshan and other southern Tajikistan destinations depart from western bus station.
Marshrutkas and taxis to Uzbekistan border depart from nothern bus station. Taxi to Oybek post should cost about 50-80 somoni
Taxi should cost not more than 10 somoni for any destination in town. Taxi to the airport costs about 30 somoni. There are plenty of marshrutkas as well. Don't expect anyone speak English.
There is not much to see in Khujand. Usually it's just a hub for tourists heading to Zeravshan valley, Dushanbe or Uzbekistan. Here are some places to see in town.
- Ismail Somoni monument. This new monument is located on the left bank of Syrdarya. It stands on top of a hill surrounded by fountains. There is a color and music show every evening.
- Masjidi Jami mosque and medrese. These buildings are used for its religious purposes. They are located on bazaar square.
- Panchshanbe Bazaar. Nice Stalin-era building and a good place for shopping local food.
- Ruins of the X century citadel. There is a small renovated part which contains a museum about region history.
- Lenin Statue. Once located where the Ismail Somoni statue now stands, the largest Lenin statue in Central Asia is now found in an unmarked park. After crossing the bridge across the Seer Darya from the Leninabad Hotel, go left and ask for the haikali Lenin (Lenin statue). It will be in a park next to a Tajik war monument.
Eat local cheap food.
Oshkhona Lazzat Located in the main square in front of Panjshanbe bozor, next to the unfinished mosque. They are a Tajik cafe that serves traditional food, but their giant meat sambusas (dumplings) are their specialty. Not vegetarian friendly, but they have some non-meat options available.
- Leninabad. Overpriced Soviet-era hotel, yet cheap. Double room with private shower costs 120 somonis for foreigners (100 somoni for citizens of CIS, 80 somoni for tajiks). A single room with a twin-sized bed will cost 90 somoni and it does include a "shower" which is little more than a water hose in the bathroom. Lift is not working, so you probably wouldn't live higher than the 4th floor. The left luggage service costs 2 somoni. The hotel is located on right bank of Syrdarya near the river.
There is a Kairakum reservoir on Syrdarya river. To get there you should takt marshrutka #16 near Panchshanbe bazaar (2,5 somoni, 30 minutes). There is a small beach with infrastructure and eateries near dam, and a lot of sandy beaches further. Water is good and warm, though beaches themselves could be dirty.