||WARNING: As of November 2014, the political situation in the east of Ukraine remains unstable, with some countries maintaining warnings to their citizens against all non-essential travel into Ukraine including Kharkiv. Some services are disrupted.
Kharkiv (Ukrainian: Харків = Kharkiv, Russian: Харьков =Kharkov) is a major city in the Kharkiv region of the Ukraine and is the second largest city in Ukrain] with a population of over 1.5 million inhabitants.
The city is located in the northeast of the country.
Kharkiv International Airport (IATA: HRK), located 12.5km south-east of city centre. The airport is served by a number of airlines:
Getting into the city from the airport
- By bus: Buses 115 and 119 to metro (subway) station "Prospekt Haharina", costs 5.5 UAH
- By minibus (marshrutka): Marshrutkas 255 and 152 to metro station "Akademika Barabashova", costs 5.5 UAH
- By trolleybus Trolleybus 3 to "Zirka" cinema, costs 2.5 UAH
Kharkiv's central railway station, Kharkiv-Passazhyrskyi, is located close to city centre. The metro station "Pivdenny Vokzal" (метро "Пiвденний вокзал") links to the railway station. It has daily trains to all major cities and towns in Ukraine.
It is recommended to buy railway tickets in advance at Ukrainian railways' e-Kvytok site  (press "English" button at the bottom right of the page). You will need to print booking form from the site and then fetch tickets from any Ukrainian Railways ticket office. Note that the person receiving Internet-ordered travel documents in the ticket office must present an identifying document to the booking-clerk. If you are travelling to or from Kiev on one of the Intercity+ "High Speed" trains you can print your ticket at home, there is no need to pick your ticket, just print it and go straight to your train.
Kharkov can seem very foreign for western travellers, mostly because of Cyrillic letters. It would be very useful to learn to read the Cyrillic alphabet before coming to Ukraine. Most Kharkovians speak Russian, as Kharkov is situated only 40km from the Russian border. Though there will be a big possibility that the locals will not understand the Russian which comes from the travellers’ phrasebook. But it is worth trying to practice as there are only a few people who speak and understand English, mostly young Ukrainians.
The Metro is the fastest and easiest way of getting around. Every day it carries nearly 1 million people; it is the most convenient public transport in Kharkov. There are three metro lines (red, blue and green).
To enter the Metro you need to buy a token at automats you'll see at the entrance(now token looks like paper check). One token is valid for one trip, no matter how far you go and how long it takes. A token costs 3 UAH. You need to put the token into the turnstile to enter and pass it. But make sure that you walk through the correct side of the turnstile otherwise there is the possibility that you will be hit by the metal gate!
Once you enter the platform you will notice that there are usually two directions the train goes.
- Kharkiv Zoo (Зоопарк), Sums'ka 35 (Metro station Universytet), ☎ +380 57 705-4490, . 08:00-20:00. Kharkiv Zoo is one of the biggest and most famous in Ukraine. It’s located in the very centre of the city in Shevchenko Park. This zoo occupies a large area of 22 hectares. UAH30, child 5-13y UAH10, 0-4y free. (50.002221,36.230099) edit
- Children's railway (Детская железная дорога), Park Gorkogo (Trams 13 and 22, trolleybuses 2 and 40 to stop Detskaya zheleznaya doroga), . Works from May, 1 till October, 31. Length of the road - 3km. edit
- Anticafe DomaDoma, Chernyshevskogo street, 63-d (not far from metro Puskinskaya). Great place where u can come any time, 24h per day, you pay only for time you spend there. A lot of interesting events at the desk here: table games, English speaking clubs, music and cinema events. .
- Dolphinarium Nemo, Sumskaya street, 35, casual days hours 10:00-19:00, Saturday hours 10:00-21:00 
- Kharkov Synagogue, Pushkinskaya street, 12
- Kharkov Art Museum, Sovnarkomovskaya street, 9, kv. 11
- Kharkov Opera and Ballet Theatre, 24 Sumskaya St. (metro Universitet), ☎ +380 572 473043, . edit
- Karavan Megastore, УЛ. ГЕРОЕВ ТРУДА, 7 (metro Geroev Truda), ☎ +38 57 760-2163, . 10:00-22:00. edit
- Dafi Megastore, Geroev Truda street, 9 (not far from metro Geroev Truda); hours 8:00 - 24:00
- Ave-plaza Megastore, 10 Sumskaya Street (metro Historica Museum). 10:00 - 21:00. edit
- French Boulevard Megastore, 44-B Akademika Pavlova Street (you can get here by free buses from metro Kievskaya, Prospect Gagarina). 10:00 - 22:00. edit
- Boutique Cherie (Шери), 7 Lenina Ave., ☎ +38(057) 714 1326, +38(099) 030 2214, +38(096) 577 7962, +38(063) 655 2245, . Luxury boutique of premium brand clothing, lingerie, swimwear. We present the world's leading fashion brand in Europe. Exquisite lingerie, swimwear and clothing of exclusive leading brands. edit
- Adriano (Адриано), Petrovskogo st., 35-А (metro Pushkinskaya), ☎ +380 57 7004892. 11:00-23:00. Not bad pizza chain, the cozy atmosphere is guaranteed, but there are 2 more cafes on prospekt Traktorostroiteley, 59/56 and on Pushkinskaya st. 79/1. Budget. edit
- Buhara, г. Харьков, ул. Пушкинская, 32 (metro Architektora Beketova), ☎ +38 57 716-2045. 12:00-24:00. USD30-100. edit
- Fortuna, Kultury str. 6 (actually located on Trinklera str http://maps.yandex.ua/-/CNxZjDP9), ☎ 702-17-72. You will be surprised by the interior (very soviet "Stolovka" style!) But the food is really really great and cheap. Traditional Ukrainian cuisine. You should try soups: borsch, solyanka, okroshka (cold soup), pelmeni, fried eggs with salo. edit
- Paris, Petrovskogo st. 30/32, . A great place for people who like desserts, to go on a date or just want to relax in a cozy atmosphere to enjoy fondue. It is amazingly popular; sometimes it is not easy to find a seat there. They have just opened their own theatre where French films or performances takes place every evening. edit
- Puzata Khata (Пузата хата), Sums'ka st. 2, ☎ +380 44 3914699, . 8:00-23:00. It is very popular with locals for low prices and quick service. The food here is usually great and cheap, mostly traditional Ukrainian dishes. Being a huge place it is always quite busy. You will be completely full for $6 per person there. (49.993324,36.232384) edit
- cafe Imbirnyj Pryanik, Sumskaya street, 36/38. Very nice desserts and tea card you will find here. Nice interiour, but little expensive prices
- Tanuki, Sumskaya street, 36. Great sushi place with Japanese atmosphere.
- IT cafe, Prospect Pravdy 10A (university Subway). Good place for casual dining with fast internet.
- Sova Bar, Kyltyry street, 26. Nice place for outing with friends, cool atmosphere, acceptable prices.
- One20ne, Petrovskogo street, 7. Here you can speak English with the waiters and even they have English menu.
- Abazhur, Sumskaya street, 19. One more nice place for romantic date in Kharkov.
- Montana restaurant-mix, Lenin prospect, 39. Lovely place with nice atmosphere, located near metro 23 Serpnya (23 Avgusta)
Buy beer from a kiosk and sit and drink it in Schevchenko Park. It's what everybody does, even though you might now be fined by local police.
- Coffee life, Pushkinska 43, ☎ +380 67 483-5948. 08:00-23:00. Named as the first Starbucks in Kharkiv, this place opens unusually open for Ukraine and offers free Wi-Fi. It's extremely popular with Kharkiv expats, a nice place to visit, have a drink and browse the net. edit
- AN-2 restaurant, Plekhanivska str. 8, ☎ +380 57 732-4954, . 10:00-22:00. UAH100. edit
- Stargorod, Lermonotvskaya street. Very nice place for couple of bears, good music and tasty pizza.
- Shokoladka, Pushkinskaya street, 54. Place with very nice coffee!
There are plenty of hotels in Kharkov, but the quality of them is very often far from what westerners expect. Most of hotels are not in the online reservation systems which makes it difficult to find them.
- Aurora Hotel**** (Аврора), Artema Street 10/12, ☎ +380 57 7524040 (email@example.com), . is situated in the center of the city and offers 28 modern rooms, free Wi-Fi and a nice-looking restaurant. The transportation options are metro or car. edit
- Chichikov Hotel**** (Чичиков), Gogolya Street 6/8, ☎ +380 57 7522300 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Just a year older than Aurora hotel and also located in the centre. The rooms correspond to western standards though they are quite small. edit
- City Club Hotel**** (Сити Клуб), Gagarina Ave. 145, ☎ +380 57 7301700 (email@example.com), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Only 10 minutes from downtown and within a walking distance of the Metalist Stadium. edit
- Kharkov Hotel***. Located in downtown right by the University (Университет) metro station. The hotel is quite old so it is best to be sure that you will get a nice room. Prices of the rooms are too high for the look and service you get. edit
- Viktoria Hotel****. 10 minutes drive from downtown and offers nicely done, modern, well-equipped hotel rooms, free Wi-Fi and a spa-center. Travel options are train and car. edit
- Gostinniy Dom*** (мини отель Гостиный Дом), Moskovsky Prospekt 56, ☎ +38 050 012 3855, +38 093 290 0232, +38 057 756 1855, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Nice private hotel, low prices from $15 edit
- Slavianka* (Rent company), Sumskaya, 13 (metro Sovietskaya), ☎ 0678429675, . checkin: 13; checkout: 12. a lot of apartment from budget to luxurious in the very centre. $35-80. edit
- AN-2 Hotel*** (Отель АН-2), Plekhaninivska Street 8, ☎ +380 57 732 49 54 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Perfect location (10-15 min by car to city center, boutiques, night clubs, football stadium "Metallist") good prices, new rooms and stuf edit
- Kharkiv Palace Hotel *****, Prospect Pravdy, 2, . First hotel in the cite of luxury+ class edit
- International Hostel Old Kharkov **, Poltavskyi Schlyakh, 41. Basic place, but clean and with wi-fi. edit
- Iris Art Hotel ****, Proletarskaya street, 6a. edit
- Superior Golf & Spa Resort *****, Kurchatova street, 1a. Luxury place to stay. edit
- Hotel 19, Sumskaya street, 19. Nice, but expensive place to stay with home atmosphere. edit
- Guest House Nasha Dacha *****, Batumskaya street, 4a. edit
Voronezh in Russia.