Ketapang is in West Kalimantan, Indonesia.
A small town that sits along the east bank of Sungai Pawan, with greater areas benefiting from the vast coastlines of the South-west of Kalimantan island. This town also is the main gateway to Gunung Palung National Park.
There are several flights daily from Pontianak to Ketapang. (35 minutes, Rp550,000) and on certain days continuing to Pangkalan Bun and Semarang. There are daily flights except Saturday from Jakarta (1 hour 10 minutes, Rp1,000,000 with Aviastar Airlines.
Taxis to/from Rahadi Osman Airport (6KM)cost Rp50,000, Rp25,000 by Ojek)
It is possible to connect to Ketapang from Pontianak via shared transport, however, the road is not in best condition. A better option would be to take jet boat that goes through the Kapuas river and a little part of the sea before reaching Ketapang (6 to 8 hours), Rp140,000 to Rp180,000. With the jet boat, the views of Kapuas river can be enjoyed.
Ketapang is hardly a tourist town and many residence owns private transport be it car or motorbikes. Hence finding an Ojek that touts for transport might not be the easiest. Best bet would be to arrange for transport in the homestay or hotel that you have put up in.
- Pantai Km3, (Heads south of town pass 'Pawan 1' bridge and continue for about 3km. You'll come across a Y-intersection, take the straight road. And take left after you see another Y-intersections. Continue until you come to an entrace of the beach area.). Km 3 beach is very accessible from town center. The drive to the beach passes through a very scenic Padi fields and several kampung. The beach is especially scenic on low tide where you can walk towards the open sea with the raised sand banks. A clear view of Sunset is also possible on a clear day. On the beach area you'll come across many seashells, like 'Ale-ale' which is also the namesake of Ketapang and 'nail' seashell which shaped like nails. edit
- Pantai Sungai Jawi (Pantai Km9), (Take the south road heading to Kendawangan, make a stop at the 9 Km.). One of the popular spots for spectacular sunset viewing, you can still find many fishermen who set sail from this beach. There is also a restaurant/warung where you can enjoy some drinks and food. edit
- Pulau Datok beach, (Take North direction road towards Sukadana, Pantai Pulau Datok is not too far from Sukadana town, about 80 Km from Ketapang). . The main beach area of Sukadana town, Pulau Datok makes a nice swim, although the beach is a bay beach and not crystal clear water. The namesake is actually from not so distant island offshore. If you're lucky and come during the fruiting season, you'll be spoilt for choice on various tropical fruits being sold in town edit
- Gunung Palung National Park, Sukadana (80km North of Ketapang), . With its seahore and mountain hill, Gunung Palung National Park is unique with biodiversity makeup. The small area houses compressed vegetation zones creating several forest types within the area. Obtain permits for Gunung Palung at Park office (Balai Taman National Gunung Palung) Jl Gajah Mada) in Ketapang or Sukadana Office (Jl Tanjung Pura 41. Guides and itinerary can be suggested by the office. Guide is recommended with the trekking tour. edit
- Pasar Ikan, 1 Km South of town (From Jl Imam Bonjol, about 1 Km). The market sells fish, vegetables and more and the main market where the town people gets their fresh produce edit
- Madison Salon and Spa, Jalan Dr. Suharso no 70 (Corner of Jalan Merdeka Selatan and jalan Dr. Suharso), ☎ +6282251441536, . 9am to 8pm. Located in one of the oldest parts of booming Ketapang town, Madison Salon and Spa promises luxury via professional hair care and spa services. edit
- Rumah Makan Ibu Rakiman, Jl Haji Agus Salim 139. The usual Indonesian traditional fares, including "Nasi Kuning" or yellow tumeric rice and Ketupat Colek, rice cakes in meat stew. edit
- Mie Ce Song, Jl Merdeka Selatan. 10AM-2PM. Almost an institution to the Chinese community in the area, the noodle here are handmade, fresh daily, served with crab meat, pork and fish cakes. 17000-20000. edit