Kashiwa (柏)  is a city in Chiba prefecture, Japan. It is locally known as "Little Shibuya" due to the shopping.
Kashiwa is served by the JR Joban Line from Tokyo's Ueno station. Rapid services take approximately 30-35 minutes from Ueno (some mid-day services take 25 minutes) at a cost of ¥450.
The Joban Line local service also stops at Kashiwa. These trains continue onto the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line, with some going all the way to the Odakyu Line on the other side of Tokyo. Given the number of stops and routing combinations, taking the local service can be time-consuming and frustrating. Changing between the Chiyoda Line and the Joban Line rapid train at Kita-Senju (北千住) will generally make the ride much easier.
Location of Kashiwa in Chiba
Kashiwa is serviced by three different train lines, the Joban local connects Kita-Kashiwa, Kashiwa and Minami-Kashiwa. The Tobu Noda line runs perpendicular and intersects at Otakanomori with the new Tsukuba Express line which stops at Kashiwa no-ha station (convienient for the giant Lalaport Dept store and Kashiwa no-ha stadium.
Football - J-league 1 team Kashiwa Reysol play their home games in two stadia located out of the city centre. Built in the clubs most succesful spell the newer Kashiwa no-ha stadium is used for higher profile matches. The clubs original Hitachi stadium is used for the rest and despite being smaller has no athletics track thus a better atmosphere. On match days, buses to Kashiwa no-ha stadium leave from the Bus stops on the West side of Kashiwa station and buses to the Hitachi leave from the East side, the large no. of yellow clad supporters should be a good indicator of where to queue. Tickets can be bought outside the stadium on matchday or from the club shop before, if you can get a seat behind the goal prepare for uniquely Japanese co-ordinated singing.
Vampire Check out this strange pet shop on the westside of Kashiwa station. Featured animals are monkeys, bats, snakes, tropical birds, turtles, and a pig who is commonly found roped outside the shop.
Kashiwa Festival Usually held the last week of July or first week of August. Expect large crowds, an assorment of food stalls, Taiko drumming performances, and the locals decked out in their summer kimonos.
Information Kashiwa Information Centre, VAT bld. 3F, 1-1-11 (take the south exit from kashiwa stn. turn left and climb one set of stairs), ☎ 7168-8686. 9.00AM - 7.00PM. Good place to pick up Tokyo listings magazine Metropolis and get general Kashiwa info. Occasionally there will be English speakers here to help out but all the staff are very friendly and will make an effort edit
- Takashimaya This high-end department store chain is located within Kashiwa station.
- Sogo Large department store out the east exit of Kashiwa station features more mature fashion and a Chinese restaurant on the top floor.
- Vat This department store is similiar to 109 in Shibuya. Shop list includes Rienda, Mecury Duo, Swordfish, Spiga, Anap, Uniqlo, Stussy, Tommy Hilfiger, Ash & Diamonds, Egoist, Rodeo Crowns, R&E shoes, and Shake Shake
- Marui (0101) Girly shopping
- Vintage and second hand shops These shops have high quality retro apparel but generally do not buy clothes.
- Chaka, 1-5-4, Asahi-cho (Take the south exit from Kashiwa station and turn right Chaka is on the 5th floor of the building directly in front of you with fairy lights and a Jack Daniels sign.), ☎ 0471-41-3633. 5.30PM - 2AM. Impeccable English speaking service, reasonably priced fusion cuisine, charming mellow atmosphere, extensive wine list as well as an exceptionally long staff sung birthday celebration. Good for a date. edit
- Raja - Chain Nepalese Curry restaurant in Minami Kashiwa. Good service, reasonable curry (raja set Y1000) and cheap lunchtime deals.
- Station Mall - Kashiwa station mall 7th floor has a bevy of restaurants from Chinese to Italian plus sushi and Tempura.
- Sogo Mall - Directly outside Kashiwa station, turn left. 1st Floor. Mochi Cream, traditional Japanese sweets with 24 modern flavours. Sogo Malls are throughout Japan with the 1st floor dedicated to sweets.
- Consent, 277-0021, 6-2 Umezawa bd (From Kashiwa stn. take the East exit go down the escalator near Bic Camera and walk straight until you come to a large cross roads. turn right and continue straight passing Kashiwa shrine on your left. Consent is on the 4th road on your right on the 2nd floor), ☎ 04-7107-8222 (email@example.com), . 6PM-midnight. Design haven complete with bubble seat, flat screen TVs w. playable PS2, personable hip staff and endless reading material. Assorted light fare, cakes and a good range of beer. Try the pizza with raw egg. limited seating available call for reservations. drinks from ¥500 food ¥600-¥800. edit
- The Hub - Chain pseudo-British Pub. Friendly Staff, Big screen sports, English Menu and Easy order at the bar make up for slightly expensive drinks (pint of lager Y900) and occasional harrasment from english teachers/learners. Reasonably priced bar food available. Near Kashiwa stn (West Exit).
- The Cavern - Another more accurate rendition of a British pub, but this time with a twist. This "Beatles" theme bar is rammed with memorabilia of the Fab Four. The beatles are unsurprisingly constantly playing but you can request your favourite track via the request forms on every table. The drinks aren't cheap and there's a steep seating charge but worth a look. Walk down the left hand side of Kashiwa Shrine and the cavern is at the first crossroads.
- Warter, 14-13 Okunan Bld 1F (Near Minami Kashiwa station, walk straight away from the West exit 5mins), (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 10PM til early morning. Only local nightclub crowded on the weekends, young crowd, predominantly hip- hop and psychadelic, often featuring local performers. Door varies with event check website generally around ¥2000 drinks from ¥500 although free shots sometimes available. edit
- Crest Hotel, 4-1, Suehiro-cho (Take the West Exit from kashiwa station and walk alongside the Takashimaya Dept. store The Crest is on your right after about 200m), ☎ +814 - 7146-1111 (fax: 0471461121), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. single/night ¥10395 double/night ¥16170. edit