A good number of wildlife species are present in Kanha National Park. These wildlife species creates the core of the Kanha national park which was taken under Project Tiger Reserve in 1974. This park is the only habitat for rare hard ground Barasingha in India.
Situated in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh, Kanha National Park 1 is one of the most beautiful and well managed of all national parks in India. It is well known not only within the tourists, natural history photographers and wildlife lovers but also to public at large. Tourist throng here to see the magnificent big cat Tiger and one of the rarest deer the Hard ground Barasingha (Swamp Deer) also known as the – Jewel of Kanha national park. Many endangered species have indeed been saved here. Today Kanha is among the few most scenic and beautiful wildlife reserves in Asia. This 'Tiger Country' is the ideal home for both predator and prey. The romance of the Kanha National Park has not reduced over time – it is still as beautiful as described by Rudyard Kipling in his famous book – The Jungle Book.
Located in the Mandla district of Madhya Pradesh, 160 Km s from Jabalpur, Kanha national park cum Tiger reserve extends over an area of over 1,940 Sq. km’s of which 940 Sq. Km’s is designated core area and the rest buffer. The major feature of this region's interesting topography is the horseshoe shape valley and the whole park area is surrounded by the spurs of the Mekal. The Surpan River meanders through Kanha's central Maidans, grasslands that cover the extensive plateau. Kanha National Park offers home to rare hard ground barasingha.
Kanha's sal and bamboo forests and rolling grasslands, are by far the most striking features of this region where sighting Swamp deer, Sambhar, Chital, Gaur and other denizens of jungle is common. Just imagine, the feeling of seeing the king of the forests – Tiger, on an evening stroll or taking a nap under shade of tree or may be tigress teaching its cubs the nuances of jungle life.
The park was created in 1955 by a special law and, since then, it has dedicated itself in preserving a variety of animal species. It was declared a Tiger reserve in 1974 and since than has been under constant vigilence and conservation activities are being followed deligently.
Ethnography of Kanha
Once upon a time, Kanha & Satpura region, now famous as Tiger reserve, was ruled by elephant. 
Main Flora: Shorea robusta, Lagerstroemia parviflora, Terminalia tomentosa, Dendrocalamus strictus
Main Fauna: Chital Cervus axis, sambar Cervus unicolor, barasingha Cervus duvauceli branderi, barking deer Muntiacus muntjak, chausingha Tetracerus quadricornis, gaur Bos gaurus, langur Presbytis entellus, wild pig Sus scrofa, jackal Canis aureus, sloth bear Melursus ursinus, wild dog Cuon alpinus, panther Panthera pardus, tiger Panthera tigris.
The main wildlife attractions in the reserve are Tiger, Gaur, Sambhar, Chital, Barasingha, Barking deer, Sloth bear, Jackal, Fox, Porcupine, Jungle cat, Python, Hare, Monkey, Mongoose and leopard. Including many reptiles, insects and butterflies you can enjoy the creation of God in its colour and splendor.
The bird species include Storks, Teals, Pintails, Pond herons, Egrets, Peacock, Pea fowl, Jungle fowl, Spur fowl, Partridges, Quails, Ring doves, Spotted parakeets, Green pigeons, Cuckoos, Rollers, Bee-eater, Hoopoes, Drongos, Warblers, Kingfishers, Woodpeckers, Finches, Orioles, Owls, and Fly catchers amongst many others.
The climate of this region is tropical. Summers are hot and dry with a maximum and minimum temperature of 42°C and 24°C. Winters are cold with an average maximum and minimum temperature of 24°C and 1°C, respectively. The annual average rainfall is 152 cm. The park is closed from July to mid October during monsoon.
Jabalpur has the nearest airport and railway head, about 3 hours away. Mandla is the nearest city. Khatia (3 km from Kisli) and Mukki are the two main entry points to the Kanha National Park. From Jabalpur, Kisli is 165 km via Chiraidongri, and Mukki is 203 km via Motinala and Garhi. For travellers from Bilaspur (182 km), Raipur (213 km) and Balaghat (83 km), Mukki on State Highway No. 26 is more convenient. From Nagpur, Kisli is 259 km via Nainpur and Chiraidongri, and Mukki is 289 km via Balaghat.
With flight connectivity from Mumbai and Delhi it has become a very good option for travellers to come via Jabalpur.
Prices below are as at March 30th, 2014...
Jeep cost is 1800/ rupees and can be shared between a maximum of six people
Each jeep load must then pay a guide fee (300/ rupees) and an entry fee. The entry fee is different depending on whether you are going to the premium zone or not and whether your jeep group are all Indians (even if a jeep has five Indians and one foreigner the jeep is charged the foreigner rate)
Entry fee for a jeep of Indians only
Premium zone - 1850/ rupees
Non-premium - 1250/ rupees
Entry fee for a jeep with at least one foreigner
Premium zone - 3650/ rupees
Non-premium - 2450/ rupees
For student groups entry fees can be made 50% on special request to the field director office in advance.
For example. If you are a group of four foreigners who want to visit the premium zone the total cost will be 1800(jeep) + 3650(entry fee) + 300(guide fee) = 5750 rupees for the group. Obviously the more people you can share with the cheaper it will be per person.
Jeep numbers are limited and getting a permit can be a pain. 80% are sold via www.mponline.gov.in and may sell out a month or so in advance. The remaining 20% are sold on the day. Tickets for the morning safari, particularly in the premium zone, are much sought after and people may queue overnight to ensure a spot. It's better to buy your permit in advance if possible. Otherwise an agency may be able to book you a spot - either by joining you with an existing jeep that has space, or by having a local lad line up overnight on your behalf - no guarantee with this one.
Afternoon game drives, especially to less popular zones like Mukki and Sarhi, may have permits available with no queuing required.
The park can be visited only by 4WD Gypsys which are available for hire either from a government office near the entry gate or else can be booked via your hotel or travel agency.
Kawardha Palace is located at a three hours drive from the Kanha National Park. This beautiful resort was built in the period of 1936-39 by the king Dharamraj Singh. This resort is spread in the area of eleven acres and beautiful Italian marble is used to built this resort. Other places near to Kawardha Palace are Mandawa mahal, Krishna Temple, Madan manjari Mahal and Bhoremdeo Temple.
Bamni Dadar is located near to Kanha National Park. This place is also known as the sunset point. It is famous among the tourists coming to visit Kanha National Park. Almost every tourists who comes to visit Kanha Sanctuary, also visits sunset point as well. Sunset is the best time to capture the scenic beauty of Kanha National Park in the camera. Sunset from the Bamni Dadar is amazing.
Zones Kanha national parks tourism area is divided into 4 zones - Kanha, Kisli, Sarai and Mukki with Kanha zone being the premium zone. Although all the zones are equally good as far as bio dicersity is concerned but tigers in Kanha and Kisli zones are more accustomed to Gypsy and human traffic and so much easily sighted. To check Tourism maps of Kanha National Park see: Kanha National Park Tourism Zone maps
Bamni Dadar is well known as the sunset point. This place is quite famous among the tourists and mostly people visit this place to capture a wonderful view of sunset. Animals like Sambar, Barking Deer, Gaur and the Four Horned Antelope can be easily seen here.
Kanha Museum is located inside the park and is amazing place to visit. This is the best place to get information about the topography and different interesting aspects about the park.
Medicinal Plantation Conservation Area or MPCA is located at village Boda Chhapri 2 kms from village Mocha and worth a visit. But do remember to ask for a naturalist with good knowledge of plants and do not go on your own as this place is well inside dense forest. Best is to contact the local forest officers for permission and guide.
Tourists should do an advance booking to visit the Kanha national park. Tourists should book the advance trip with tour operators who can also take care for all the essential requirement of theirs.Jeep safari is arranged twice in a day, once in the morning and once in the evening time, which is the best way to explore the beauty of this national park. 
Zones: Kanha tourism is divided in 4 zones Kanha, Kisli, Sarhi and Mukki with Kanha zone being the premium zone. It is good if you take morning safari to Kanha zone and evening to Kisli or Sarhi zones. 
Elephant Safari: This is one of the best ways to give a closer view to the animals of Kanha national park. Tourists can enjoy the amazing sightseeing as well as enjoy the wild animals in their natural habitat
Jungle walk (Nature trails): One of the best way to explore and understand the local bio diversity is on foot. Forest department has made jungle trails near Khatia entrance gate and Village Chhapri. To go on trail contact your accommodation provider or at the entrance gate. Nature trail at village chhapri is highly recommended for bird watchers.
There are a lot of options for buying stuff as Kanha is a highly commercialized forest.There are a huge number of stores available. You can try buying local handicrafts and t-shirts or key chains and woodworks. You can even buy stuff from the stores. most items are overpriced so use your sense and negotiate.
Bold text==Eat== Kodo - Kutki restaurant at Kanha Village Eco Resort is a good option, it has separate veg and non veg kitchen facilities, they serve excellent Indian and continental food and has Ethnic (Tribal) food also available. There is a fixed menu but on special request food of choice can be prepared. 'Bold text' There are many other hotels that offer eating facilities. Kamlesh Dhabha is a local eating joint where you can get good food. Their 'Malai Kofta' and 'Daal' are especially worth trying. place order for chicken half hour in advance, as it is freshly dressed and then prepared.
popular brands of liquor are available at the wine shop at mocha. shop seemed to be open from early morning to late night.
- Kanha Resort, Gram: Mocha Kanha National Park Dist.: Mandla-481768. M.P. (Kanha Resort), ☎ 09376903457, . checkin: 12:00 PM; checkout: 12:00PM. Top rated hotel with best services - The Kanha Resort. A wide variety recreation and facilities are available at Kanha Resort. A widespread list of indoor and outdoor recreational activities and excellent accommodation facility is offered to suit almost any visitant at Resort. 100 US $ Approx.. edit
- Kanha Village Eco Resort (Kanha Village), Near Kanha NP, Village Boda Chhapri, Mandla (2 Kms from Mocha Bus Stand), ☎ 00919977853263, . checkin: 13.00; checkout: 12.00. An eco resort with construction from locally available biodegradable material like clay, straw, etc. Bath area areas cement/RCC construction. Cottages have family pool. Green roofing technology has been employed. Adjacent to a pond and dense forest so if lucky possibilities of viewing wildlife from resort is always there. Resort recently got Best Eco Tourism Initiative Award 2010. Only place in Kanha which is following responsible tourism and Eco tourism rules. US $ 120. edit
- The Krishna Jungle Resort, Village Mocha (District Mandla), ☎ 91 761 4004023, . checkin: noon; checkout: noon. 150 USD PP on Jungle Plan. edit
- Gawa Kanha Resort, Malajkhand, Near Mikki Gate, Balaghat, Madhya Pradesh, . checkin: 12 pm; checkout: 12 pm. Spread over a serenity of 40.2 acres, the Guava (called “Gawa” locally) orchard at Malajkhand is home to a wonderful biodiversity. The orchard contains 2200 fruit bearing Guava trees. The orchard also houses a herbal nursery where many carefully selected medicinal plants are seeded and nurtured with immense care. The resort is also being developed into a complete biodiversity park, with a large variety of flora and fauna available on it’s campus. The resort is a marvel of energy conservation. Except for a little usage for some emergency needs, the resort is completely managed through it’s own renewable energy setup of full of solar powered plants. One can take beautiful nature walks in morning or evening in great village silence, or roam around to nearest townships in it’s electric powered golf cars. Rs. 4000 /Rs 2600 on twin sharing basis. (77.412415,23.267212) edit
- Shergarh tented camp. With only six tents, Shergarh is arguably the most personal of Kanha's many accommodations. Activities include morning and afternoon game drives, hiking, and a selection of bicycles. edit
- 999 Wildlife Resort (Kanha hotel), Village Mocha (Indri to Kanha Road), ☎ 07646-280115, . checkin: 24 hrs; checkout: 12.oo pm. 999 Wildlife Resort offers luxury hotel accommodations in Kanha National Park in MP. Situated at Village Mocha near Khatia Gate of Kanha it offers stay in luxury tents and cottages. Organizes the best tiger safari at the reserve. edit
- MOTEL CHANDAN (motel chandan), Near forest gate vill:- khatiya, ☎ 09424989289, . checkin: 11:00 a.m; checkout: 1:00 p.m. Motel Chandan is the opening resort in Kanha, still providing a passive and contented stay for the guest. The Resort offers13 independent air-cooled luxury cottages, i 3 classes that offers the most modern facilities with handpicked furniture catering to aesthetic sense of the guests. Very comfortable stay at 11 double bed super deluxe air cooled rooms and 2 Air conditioned deluxe rooms traditional village outlook with Separate sit-outs, LCD televisions with DTH service, attached bathrooms and 24 hours hot & cold water. All rooms with small verandas facing the garden give you an excellent view of the lush Kanha Forest surrounding. Prompt service of tasty and hygienic food in airy Restaurant is our specialty. 1250 RS. edit
- Kanha Earth Lodge, Village Narna PO. Sarekha Dist. Bala Ghat, ☎ 8800637711, . checkin: 12:00 PM; checkout: 12:00PM. The Lodge is tucked in a forested area of 16 acres adjoining the buffer zone of Kanha in a small tribal hamlet. The lodge is set in deep jungles away from the tourism hub of Kanha yet close enough for an easy access to the Khatia/Kisli park gate, there is good opportunity to view variety of mammals and birds around the lodge itself. The area is untouched by any kind of tourism or development and offers the discerning guest the guarantee of privacy. It offers lovely walks and biking trails around the lodge. While Kanha has a reputation of being over crowded with lodges, we have no neighbouring lodges or highways. 150 US $ Onward. edit
- GT Resort, Near Mukki Gate, Kanha National Park (1 Km. from Mukki Gate), ☎ 094 24 722 414, . checkin: 12:00 Noon; checkout: 12:00 Noon. Luxury Resort at Kanha National Park having Swimming Pool, Indoor Games, Best Restaurant, Jungle Jeep Safari Booking, Taxi Services and Many More. AC and Non AC double bed rooms, Situated in dense forest. 4,000.00 - 5,000.00. edit
- Grand Tiger Resort, Near Mukki Gate Village Manjitola, ☎ 9407098996. checkin: 12:00 Hrs; checkout: 12:00 Noon. Grand tiger resort is located 1.1Km To Mukki gate of Kanha National Park. The Resort is surrounded by the lush green sal, and Bamboo trees forests and tribal villages. The Grand tiger resort offers you Real adventure of Jungle. Resort is started on 2012 having decent neat & clean Air conditioned & air cooled rooms, equipped with all modern facilities. The restaurant at Resort has a selection of Indian and Continental cuisine. 2990. edit
Bandhavgarh - Golbro Tiger View Resort (GTV Resort), Near Petrol Pump, Tala, Bandhavgarh. Web Site - 
Best Time To Visit Bandhavgarh - Either after torrential rains or just after summers. Web Site - 
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language