Kamari is a seaside village on the southeast side of Santorini, an island that is part of the Cyclades group of Greek islands. It has a long black sand and shingle beach where topless sunbathing is common place. Though there are many taverns, bars and clubs Kamari has a far more relaxed atmosphere than Thira. There are all the usual water based activities plus a regular water taxi to take you round the headland to neighboring Perissa.
The airport is very close about 3km. Most days the noise from landing planes is sporadic and kept to daylight hours. There are exceptions to this.
If staying in Kamari for a week a rental car, scooter or quad would be advised for about 3 days. Most companies offer discounts for rentals of this period. While scooters and quads are very popular, the vehicle best suited to exploring the island in full is a small 4x4 like the ever-popular convertible Suzuki Jimny. For the even more adventurous there are street-legal beach buggies that seat 2 and look like a lot of fun.
There is ample parking by the beach, with several larger car parks (so don't bother with street parking).
You could also walk along the coast in the black sand from Monolithos to Kamari. You could switch to the road adjacent to the beach which runs along the coast. Remember there is no pedestrian walking separately on the road.
Ancient Thira is literally above Kamari. There are buses available to take you to the top but you can walk or drive. The drive is up a cobble-stone cliff-side twisty road and requires not only confidence behind the wheel but the ability to ignore your scared passengers who are actually looking down. The site is open from 10-1430 most days (closed on mondays).
The walk takes about an hour and is quite steep. The walking trail to the ancient Thira is the path that had been used from the olden times. It goes through the stones, plants, bushes and is very steep and tiring.
There is an outdoor cinema about a 20 minute walk from the beach that has one showing everyday at 21:30. The film they show changes every few days but they are published in its leaflet which can be found in most towns around the island (there is a poster board just south of the bus station in Thira). The films it shows tends to be American blockbusters (recently it has been playing Iron Man 2 and The Ghost Writer) but it also shows some Greek movies (e.g. The King of Mykonos). Tickets are €7 and there is a bar on site. Smoking is acceptable and even dogs are left in to watch the movie with their owners. If you manage to stay near Kamari coast in the early morning, you would not want to miss the heavenly view of the Sun rise directly from the sea.
The streets of Kamari are abundant with restaurants and especially so along the beach. Kamari is a great place to while away the afternoons sipping cocktails before heading to a great restaurant for a truly memorable meal. While some places in particular are mentioned below, most of the restaurants offer incredible food at good prices (budget €40 for a meal for 2 with drinks). If a restaurant is empty or has staff who are overly keen to get you in the door with offers of free wine or discounts, move on.
- Alexander’s Restaurant. Located about 50 meters from the main bus terminal, offers fresh fish, steaks and Macedonian specialties. Very high quality of food and very very tasty.
- No Name tavern. Just next to Alexander's Restaurant. Offers a large variety of delicious Greek food.
- El Greco. On the beachfront. The seafood in general and calamari in particular are very good.
- Sunshine "pasta fresca" sea front restaurant specializing in pasta. Maybe best pasta you ever tasted.
- Saliveros. Located at kamari beach. Good food and special price. Great location in the promenade in Kamari
- Hook Bar - on the beach promenade in the big rock end of the promenade. Good music.
- Prince bar-restaurant-on the center of Kamari (500 parking space) excellent place; the best choice
- Splash Bar - Restaurant - On the beautiful beach of Kamari you can find an oasis of refreshment in the form of Splash Cafe-Bar-Restaurant.
- Acqua Vatos Hotel, (in the heart of the village, 50 meters from Kamari beach), ☎ +30 22860 31660, . checkin: 1PM; checkout: noon. Three star hotel fully renovated in spring 2011. €50. edit
- Tamarix Del Mar Hotel, . The hotel Tamarix del Mar suites was built in 2003 and recently renovated. The island’s traditions were carefully respected, particular care was paid to detail, and interventions were made to provide all modern comforts and facilities. edit
- Hotel Matina . Santorini Hotel Matina, in Kamari Beach Santorini is a boutique hotel situated in a tranquil and pleasant garden with a swimming pool, only 2 minutes walk from the beach in Kamari with budget rooms. Hotel Matina is your ideal accommodation in Santorini in Kamari Beach for a relaxing holiday in Santorini Hotel Matina Greece. firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel= 0030 22860 31491
- Kafouros Studios. Small, friendly, family-run with a great pool and bar that's open till late. Handy to the beach and space to park your rental car. Adonis and his family will become friends who you want to return to see.
- Christos Makris Large apartments 20 meters from the main beach of Kamari. Located at the center of Kamari.
- Hotel Sunshine A small and expensive hotel by the beach promenade. Has very basic standard. Staff not particularly friendly. Many of the "balconies" are so small that for all practical purposes they cannot be used.
- Aegean Plaza Resort . A four star hotel with a traditional and unique Cycladic architecture, combined with modern facilities.
- Irini's Rooms, ☎ +30 22860 31246, . A family owned business. edit
- Bellonias Villas, ☎ +30 22860 31138, . A sophisticated, Cycladic-style complex of hotel apartments, studios and suites edit
- Mediterranean Royal, Aghia Paraskevi, ☎ +30-22860-31167 (email@example.com, fax: +30-22860-31402), . checkin: 14.00; checkout: 12.00. 20€ minimum price. edit
- Imperial Med Hotel, Aghia Paraskevi, ☎ +30 22860 32532, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Traditional Cycladic architecture. (36.394546,25.484295) edit