Kalk Bay is a small fishing harbour along the east coast of the Cape Peninsula to the south of Cape Town. In recent times it has become a very hip and trendy place, with a fine selection of restaurants, coffee shops and bistros, and a number of eclectic, alternative shops along the Main Road on either side of the train station.
Kalk Bay is easily accessible from Cape Town by car. Follow the M3 south until it ends at the junction with the M42 (Steenberg Road). Turn left/east onto the M42 then right/south onto the M4 (Main Road) through Muizenberg. Kalk Bay is a few kilometres south of Muizenberg.
MetroRail  operates frequent and regular trains to Kalk Bay from Cape Town via Muizenberg (to the north) and Simon's Town via Fish Hoek (to the south) every day. The station is on Main Road, right in the centre of town.
Kalk Bay is small enough that you can cover the entire village on foot with ease.
Watch the incoming boats and the sale of fresh fish.
Walk up the small, twisting alleys on the mountain-side of Main Road and look at some of the old houses built by fishing folk. Many of these have now been converted to yuppie apartments or shops but some still remain in their original state.
- Bible Institute of South Africa, 180 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-4116 (fax: +27 (0)21 788-7289), . Post-school Christian education. edit
- Media Village, 3 Dalebrook Road, P O Box 112, Kalk Bay, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-9296 (info@mediaVillage.info, fax: +27 (0)21 788-9609), . Christian-based tertiary education in communications and media skills (television, radio, film, etc). edit
- Save Our Seas Shark Centre, 28 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-6694 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +27 (0)21 788-4778), . Part of the international "Save Our Seas Foundation", the Kalk Bay shark centre aims to improve the public's understanding of sharks and marine conservation through scientific research, education and awareness projects. edit
Kalk Bay offers a wide selection of shops from hippie clothing to designer labels, from antique shops to contemporary jewellery designers.
- ANPA Jewellery, 44 Main Road, . Innovative jewellery design in silver, gold and platinum with a strong focus on South African gemstones. edit
- Big Blue, 102 Main Road (Opposite Brass bell), ☎ +27 (0)21 788-2399, . Daily 9AM-6PM. South African brands and designs only, the most fun you can have while shopping. edit
- Franki's Boutique, 70 Main Road, ☎ 788 6776, . A real gem of a shop. Vintage inspired and super feminine. Franki's is about 50% local designers and 50% Paris imports. Also stocks a Franki's line of dresses designed for curvy figures. edit
Be sure to taste some fresh fish in the fish restaurants next to the harbour.
- 19-on-Main Bistro (Brad's Bistro), 19 Main Road (Take the Main Road (M4) towards Simon's Town, the bistro is immediately on your left as you enter Kalk Bay, behind the Kalk Bay Garden Centre), ☎ +27 (0)21 788-3885. Cosy indoors section with fireplace in winter and a garden and breakfast bar outside with magnificent sea views - separated from the ocean only by the railway line. Very casual and relaxed atmosphere. Excellent value for money. edit
- Brass Bell, Kalk Bay Station, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-5456. An ever-popular complex of restaurants and pubs. edit
- C'est la Vie, 24 Main Road. Coffee shop and artisan bakery, opposite the tidal pool, it is open Wednesday to Sunday. edit
- Excuse my French, 25 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)84 287-8824. French-style coffee and pancakes on a shady outside deck with magnificent views over False Bay edit
- Fsh, Majestic Precinct, 126 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-1869. No, it's not a spelling mistake: "fsh" serves fresh seafood. edit
- Habonero's, 138 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-6967. Mexican and vegetarian food in an eclectic setting. edit
- Harbour House, Kalk Bay Harbour, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-4133. Seafood with sea-spray hitting the windows ; expensive but delicious. edit
- Kalk Bay Expresso, 73 Main Road (next to the train station), ☎ +27 (0)21 788-8843. Coffee, tea and pastries in an old train carriage converted into a restaurant. edit
- Kalky's, Kalk Bay Harbour. Take-away fish and chips fresh from the sea. edit
- Kassia & Figg, 24 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-3337. Coffee shop and artisan deli - organic food only. edit
- The Annex, Majestic Village, 124 Main Road (Look for Kalk Bay Books and you'll find us alongside), ☎ +27 (0)21 788-2453, . 7AM to close. Chalk-board menu, with bistro-style food. Indoor and outdoor areas to suit your mood or the weather. Live jazz on Sundays from 11AM. R80-105. edit
- The Home of Waffles & Pancakes, 138 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-6967. Light meals, coffee, pancakes and waffles. edit
- Live Bait, Kalk Bay Harbour, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-5755. Fabulous views of False Bay. edit
- Olympia Cafe, 134 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-6396. A perennial favourite, with a bakery, early-morning breakfasts, lunch and dinner. edit
- Satori, 76b Main Road (opposite the train station), ☎ +27 (0)21 788-1123, . Daily 11AM-10PM. Pizza, pasta and Lavazza coffee. moderate. edit
- Sirocco, 75 Main Road (next to the train station), ☎ +27 (0)21 788-1881. Open-air coffee shop,closed in winter. edit
- Theresa's, Clairvaux Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-8051. edit
- Tribeca, 106 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-3424. Bakery and coffee shop. edit
- Ours, 5 Rosmead Road. Artisan Coffee, with a quality breakfast, serving the most amazing dinners Friday-Sunday (34° 7'29.86S,18°27'2.93E) edit
- The Studio. An authentic art studio serving meals for those with a more cultured palette, coupled with an exquisite selection of tea and cake. (34° 7'38.35S,18°26'53.73E) edit
- Brass Bell, . Accessed by a small tunnel under the railway, this isn't one bar but about 7 different drinking and eating venues in one with views over the sea and entertainment late into the night. edit
- Cape to Cuba, . Towards the harbour, between the main road and the railway tracks is this Cuban themed bar and restaurant. A long wooden shack decorated with err... everything. Sit out on the sand or swing from a swing inside the shack as the sun sets, whilst sipping on one of the signature mojitos made by their beret wearing staff. The mango and chilli mojito is particularly good. edit
- Chartfield Guesthouse, 30 Gatesville Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-3793 (email@example.com, fax: +27 (0)21 788-8674), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. 4 Star Guesthouse in Kalk Bay. From R 520. edit
- The Inn at Castle Hill, 37 Gatesville Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-2554 (fax: +27 (0)21 788-3843), . From R350 per person. edit
- The Pink Palace, 136 Main Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-2760 (info@pinkPalace.co.za, fax: +27 (0)21 788-2760), . Backpacker's accommodation for women only. edit
- Vrede Huis Guest House, 4 Clairvaux Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 788-5167, . Positioned on the mountainside directly overlooking Kalk Bay harbour and False Bay. edit