Jiuquan (酒泉; Jiǔquán) is a city in Gansu Province, best known as the home of China's human spaceflight program.
Over twenty-five trains pass through Jiuquan every day. From Jiuquan you can reach Lanzhou (7 hrs), Urumqi (13 hrs), Xi'an (14 hrs), Chengdu (15 hrs), Beijing (20 hrs), Chongqing (12 hrs), Jinan (23 hrs), and a number of smaller cities.
Jiuquan train station is located 12 km south of the town. To get to town, you can take the yellow bus parked in the train station parking lot (2 RMB) or a taxi (about 10 RMB).
- Xining - night bus, takes 11 hours
- Jiayuguan - local bus, takes 20 minutes. From Jiayuguan take the green bus marked "酒嘉公交" at the intersection of Jianshi Dong Lu (建设东路）and Xinhua Zhong Lu (新华中路). The bus fare is 3 RMB.
The nearest airport is at Jiayuguan, 30 km from Jiuquan.
Jiuquan is served by six public bus lines and several taxi companies. Buses cost 1 RMB, and most taxi rides within town are 5 RMB.
Very few people speak English, so you should hand the driver the name of your desitnation written in Chinese when taking a cab.
- Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center. Closed to foreigners. edit
- Bell tower (钟鼓楼). The Jiuquan Bell and Drum Tower is located at the intersection of Jiuquan's two main roads. It is a traditional three-story structure with doors opening to the North, West, South and East. The names of the doors are "the North desert" (Badan Jilin Desert)," South Qilian"," Dong-ying Yue", and "Yiwu West" (Hami). edit
There are many local restaurants serving Northwest dishes in Jiuquan. In addition, Jiuquan is famous for its desert fruit, including melons, dates, grapes, apples and persimmons.
- Sweet Melons (甜瓜). edit Sweet melons are small-to-medium-sized light yellow melons grown in the desert around Jiuquan.
- ''Roujiamo''. edit Also known as "The Chinese hamburger", roujiamo originated in Xi'an, but is a popular snack throughout the Northwest. Roujiamo is a grilled white bun stuffed with minced stewed pork and sliced green peppers.
- ''Malatang''. edit While malatang (a la carte vegetables, tofu, meat and noodles boiled in spicy broth and served with sauce) is a popular snack across China, the variety in Jiuquan comes without the broth and is usually accompanied by broad white noodles.
- 'Beef Ramen'. edit Niuroulamian refers to hand-pulled noodles topped with vegetables and slices of beef. It is one of the staple dishes of the northwest.
- 'Liangpi' (凉皮). edit Liangpi refers to cold noodles or sliced jello made from wheat, rice, millet, buckwheat, broad beans, or other grains and legumes, mixed with hot pepper, vinegar and slivers of cucumber or carrot.
There are many lower-end hotels in central Jiuquan. Called zhaodaisuo (招待所), these hotels offer basic accomodation and questionably clean rooms at low prices. Expect to pay about 50-70 RMB for a double.
- Jiuquan Hotel, 33 Jiefang Road, ☎ +86 937 2614234 (fax: +86 937 2614750). edit