Jim Thorpe is a borough in Carbon County, near Lehighton, Allentown and Lehigh Valley, in the state of Pennsylvania in the United States of America.
The closest airport is Lehigh Valley International Airport, near Allentown. It's booking code is ABE. Lehigh Valley International is roughly a thirty-minute drive from Jim Thorpe.
Domestic flights arrive from Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Charlotte and other Mid-west and East coast hubs. Airlines serving Jim Thorpe inclue US Airways, Delta, Northwest, United, Allegiant, and Pace.
Philadelphia and Newark
If you are more interested in a better fare, you may chose to fly into Philadelphia International Airport (booking code PHL) or Newark Liberty International Airport (booking code EWR). US Airways operates a large hub in Philadelphia and United operates a hub in Newark, so there is a good chance you have a direct flight to and from your home airport.
If you are looking for low fares, Southwest flies into Philadelphia as does AirTran. Finding low fares into Newark and Philadelphia is much easier than finding lower fares into Allentown. though Allentown is more closely situated.
Susquehanna Bus Lines offers daily service to Jim Thorpe from both New York City or Philadelphia, with several stops in between. As of 1/2010, the prices are about $45 round-trip to Philly, and $65 r/t to NYC. Leave NYC at 7AM or 4PM, or leave Philly at 7:30AM or 4:30PM Either way, arrive in Jim Thorpe at 11AM or 7PM.
Once you land, you must have a car. Jim Thorpe and the surrounding region have no significant means of public transportation.
Lehigh Valley, Philadelphia and Newark airports have most major rental car agencies on-site. There is also an Enterprise location in Lehighton.
If you take the bus to town, there are lots of places to stay and things to do and places to eat/drink, all within the downtown (ie. walking distance). You CAN do Jim Thorpe without a vehicle. But it makes it easier to do MORE, if you have a car.
- Asa Packer Mansion, Downtown, . An mansion built in 1861 by a wealthy railroad magnate that shows a unique glimpse into 'life of the rich and famous' in the late 1800's since most of the house has not been changed since then.
- The Old Jail Museum, [west Broadway], Used up to 1995, tours of this cool old building are sure to get you thinking. Tours May to October. closed Wednesday!
- Jim Thorpe's Monument, [East Side of Town],Visit the grave and monument to the world's greatest athlete.
- St Mark's Church, [Race St], A beautiful old Gothic church with amazing architecture and rich construction. Tours available seasonally.
- Millionaire's Row, [Broadway], A row of stately homes along the main street featuring amazing architecture and rich construction. Some are viewable only from outside, but Dugan's, Alice's Pantry, Driesbach House, Albright Mansion are open to see parts of...
- Mauch Chunk Museum, [west Broadway], An old Methodist church that's been changed into a local history museum. A great place to get an overview of what this town is all about - the history is quite amazing for such a small town.
- The Number 9 Mine and Museum, Lansford, . Travel into a real coal mine and learn about the area's coal mining past. 20-minute drive from Jim Thorpe, but worth it!
- Pocono Whitewater Rafting, . This takes place April through October. Rates start at $31.95. Water on the Lehigh River is very shallow during most of the year.
- Blue Mountain Ski Area  is just a few minutes from Jim Thorpe and features several ski hills and a snow tubing area. An all day lift ticket is $39. Check out the ski package in conjunction with Mahoning Inn.
- the Jim Thorpe eXperience (JTX), 37 West Broadway ((call for tours)), ☎ 484-225-1209, . daily. The Jim Thorpe eXperience is a guide service offering hiking, biking, kayak and walking tours in and around Jim Thorpe, PA. Local guides relate the amazing history of the area, while guests enjoy exhilarating outdoor adventures. Tour packages on website or custom tours available. $45-95. edit
- Jim Thorpe River Adventures, 1 Adventure Lane (Just across the bridge from downtown), ☎ 570-325-2570, . Jim Thorpe River Adventures is a locally-owned and operated whitewater rafting company. They are the only rafting company located inside the town of Jim Thorpe, so the bus ride to and from the river is much shorter! The guides are great and you get a free cookout afterwards! edit
- Historic Stone Row (Race Street)
- Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway, 1 Susquehanna St, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229, ☎ (570) 325-8485, . Runs scenic 16-mile (25.7 km) round trips from Jim Thorpe to Old Penn Haven, PA through Lehigh Gorge State Park. edit
- Sales tax. The state's 6% sales tax does not apply to most clothing.
- Lehighton has a small mall with a Deb, food store, drug store and a gift store, among a few other shops.
- 50 Shops in Downtown JT, Broadway ((just walk around)), ☎ 888-jim-thorpe, . 10-5. Downtown Jim Thorpe has over four dozen different shops and restaurants that cater to many budgets and tastes. Jim Thorpe has so many shops that there is sure to be something for everyone. * The Lehigh Valley mall is about forty minutes away. Anchored by a JCPenney, Boscov's and Macy's, the mall is home to many more specialty stores and is undergoing expansion at the moment. A multitude of other stores, like TJ Maxx, Kohl's, Sears, Best Buy, Borders, Barnes and Nobles surround the mall, as do more restaurants, especially mid-level chains. * Tannersville Outlets  are also about forty minutes away, home to outlet stores run by various designers and companies. * The King of Prussia mall is one of the biggest malls in the country, and just about an hour and a half down the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The King of Prussia is anchored by Nordstrom, Macy's, JCPenney, Sears, Neiman Marcus and Lord & Taylor, as well as many specialty stores. edit
- Through the Looking Glass, . Romantic atmosphere, live entertainment and interesting eclectic decor. Their breads are all homemade. They offer 6 varieties of soup daily. There are board games and Internet access. This is also a very romantic venue, with dim lights and oil lamps on the tables. Please beware that the service is slow (they admit this) and the management may be hostile should there be a need to manage a problem with your order.
Downtown JT restaurants, include Through the Looking Glass (above); Wheel - high end, eclectic fare; Strange Brew, coffee; China Garden, chinese; Tony Stella's Encore, high end Italian; Alice's Pantry, coffee & ice cream; Antonio's, Italian; Broadway Grille, good continental, nice decor; Mollie Maguire's, steakhouse; Moya, fine food - eclectic menu; Stone Row Pub & Eatery, oldest buildings in town with new management (2014); There is definitely something for everyone. And if you are in downtown, you can walk to all of these!
- PJ Whelihans at Platz's, just off of the Mahoning Valley exit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike immediately off of Route 209 outside of Lehighton. PJW/Platz's is a restaurant similar to Ruby Tuesdays or Applebee’s. The decor and the menu options are similar, however it maintains some local charm. They are well known within the area for their dry buffalo wings.
- Pizza Hut Located in Lehighton. If you have a craving for pizza, you may want to try Pizza Hut, although there are several independent pizza shops in the area. This location also has a salad bar.
- Macaluso's, at the Lantern Inn off of Route 209 between Jim Thorpe and Nesquehoning, . A bit more expensive and much more elegant than some of the above mentioned restaurants, Macaluso's serves Italian food. Highly recommended if you are looking for another option for upscale dining experience while in the area.
- The Inn at Jim Thorpe, .
- Mary's Guesthouse, 39 West Broadway, ☎ 570-325-5354, . checkin: 3-5; checkout: 11. Mary's Guesthouse is a great place for groups and families - it is a comfortable, economical lodge with all the comforts of home in a casual atmosphere. Full kitchen and dining area, cozy living area. $240 for up to 8people. edit
- Suites on Broadway, 97 Broadway, ☎ +1-570-325-3540, . Suites on Broadway is an elegant Bed and Breakfast with private suites for two adults. A circa 1860 brick Victorian in the heart of Historic Jim Thorpe. Each suite has a private sitting and breakfast room, a double Jacuzzi tub, and a European fireplace. edit
- The Harry Packer Mansion Inn, 19 Packer Ave, ☎ 570 325-8566, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. The Mansion was used as the model for the Haunted mansion in Disney World so it is only fitting that they specialize in murder mystery weekends. They also offer overnight lodging, wine tastings and small events. Tours and Libations Lounge hours are 1PM to 6PM edit
There are many other options for staying in Jim Thorpe, and there are several websites that can help find the right spot for you, including the Jim Thorpe Tourism Agency (www.JimThorpe.org) and stayinJimThorpe.com which features local B&B's...
- Susquehanna Bus Lines offers daily service from Jim Thorpe, with ultimate destinations being New York City or Philadelphia, with several stops in between. As of 1/2010, the prices are about $45 round-trip to Philly, and $65 r/t to NYC. Leave JT at 9AM or 5:30PM. Arrive from the cities at 11AM (P), 11:45(NY) or 7:30pm (P), 8:15pm (NY).
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!