Jaigaon is a city in North Bengal in India.
The town's only attraction is that it is on the border of Bhutan. Otherwise, it has a dearth of sites of interest and totally lacks charm. However, as many Bhutanese like to cross the border to take advantage of India's cheaper telephone/e-mail rates and restaurant prices, the town does offer a wide selection of eateries and telephone offices.
From Phuentsholing, walk over. There is only the border gate that divides the two towns.
Buses traveling to/from Phuentsholing make a stop here.
Different Buses are coming from Siliguri P.C Mittal Bus Terminus. Reserve cars also available from Kings Travels, dial-098304-28401/ 093319-39486.
The town is small and can be covered on foot, though an autorickshaw is recommended for the journey from the main bus terminal, which is located slightly out of town. Jaigaon lacks quality infrastructure, and during the rainy season the streets are muddy and difficult to negotiate on foot.
During evening time you can find many stalls at the road side where you can have a delicious fast food such as Momo's, Chowmin, Egg roll, Pani puri, Non- veg Chops and many more things in cheaper rate.
- Non-Bhutanese or Indian citizens exiting or entering Bhutan are required to get their passport stamped at the Indian immigration office, which is located next to the cinema hall (there is a fork in the road when entering the town - marked by a statue - immigration is a short way up the road on the left). Indians can get a permit to visit Thimphu or other parts of Bhutan by submitting proof of identity proof, such as an election card or passport, at the Bhutanese immigration office.
- Make telephone calls and send e-mails as the rates here are much lower than in Phuentsholing.
- Asian Book Distributors, J.P. Centre, N.S. Road., ☎ +91 3566 736-182. As a supplier of book stores in Bhutan, AB Books is an excellent place to pick up titles on subjects related to Bhutan and Buddhism and at much cheaper prices than over the border edit
Move towards Phuentsholing. There are liqueur stores; Royal Bhutan. which also imports and Sonam Main Liqueur Shop where you can find Phuentsholing and Jaigaon at good prices.
- Hotel Devi, N.S Road, (Super market chowpati), ☎ 03566-263174, 264710. Could be a better place to have freshly cooked food,it has a very cozy homely enviroment. edit
- Hotel Kasturi, could be a good choice. Rooms are clean and moderately well furnished. Rates are moderate.
- Hotel satyam, lodge and restaurant near bhutan gate,n.s road jaigaon, ☎ 91-94340-29084, 264444. Best hotel at Jaigaon with maximum no. of rooms. Total rooms:24 edit
- Hotel Prasant, Shah Building, N.S. Road, Distt. Jalpaiguri, (Close to Bhutan Gate), ☎ 91-3566-265664. checkin: 12 PM; checkout: 12 PM. Well furnished, Clean and heigen, Parking space, Restaurant, meeting hall, 30 A/C and Non A/C rooms 500-1300. edit
- Hotel Devi, N.S. Road, Opp, Supermarket chowpati (heart of the city), ☎ +91-9434806751,9800072350. checkout: 12:00 hrs. Hotel Devi is in the heart of the city, the only hotel where you get room with a personal balcony,with all basic facilities like in house laundry service, 24 hours doctor on call, banquet hall and a cozy dining with local cusines. 350 to 950. edit
- Hotel Barsana, N.S. Road, Jaigaon. (Near Bhutan Gate), ☎ 8388087699. checkin: 12 P.M; checkout: 12 P.M. Located in the heart of Jaigaon. edit
The banks in Jaigaon are not authorized to change foreign currency.