Itacaré is in Bahia, in Northeast Brazil. It is an up-and-coming vacation spot with amazing beaches, surf, capoeira and plenty of culture.
For most international tourists the entry to Brazil will be through São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro or Salvador international airports. There are daily flights operated from domestic airlines TAM and BRA to Ilhéus which is the closest airport to Itacaré.
From Ilheus (which has an airport) take a bus north - the ride takes less than two hours. From Salvador, you can take a ferry from Sao Joaquin to Bom Despacho (50 min, 4 Reais) and then a bus to Itacaré. Cidade Sol has almost hourly departures but only two times with aircon. This company also seems to make many local stops along the way taking about 5.5 hours. Aguia Branca takes 5 hours but only has two departures per day, both with aircon, at 9 am and 2 pm. As of March 2013, both companies charge roughly 37 Reais. The bus station is directly behind the ferry port in Bom Despacho, just follow the crowd. There is also a bus that goes directly from Salvador to Itacaré, but it takes a lot longer than the ferry-bus combination (as it goes all around the bay of Salvador), is more expensive and only goes once or twice a week. Upon arrival to Itacaré, make a right out of the bus station and its a very short walk to the tourist area.
- Luanda, Filhos de Zumbi and Tribo do Porto are three capoeira groups in Itacaré. You don't want to miss their shows. Their training sessions are open to visitors.
- EasyDrop, . Professional surf school with intensive video review of your daytime sessions in the evenings. An instructor, Brancao, also teaches percussion lessons for 20 R$ per hour-lesson, per-person - limited availability.
- SOS Itacare movement, . An effort to protect local beach access for the public.
- ETIV do Brasil,  A local NGO & Non-Profit Organization that offers meaningful volunteer opportunities in Itacaré with projects in Youth Development, Environmental Conservation, Teaching English, Animal Welfare and Women's Empowerment. They can also offer Housing, Portuguese, Samba and Capoeira classes to volunteers as well as Eco-Adventure tours in and around Itacaré.
Itacaré isn't a shopping paradise, but there are some nice handcrafts and surf wear & gear. There's also a travellers' bookshop.
- Urso de Óculos: International Bookshop, Avenida Castro Alves 71 (Orla) (on the waterfront in the historic centre, on the way to the fishing port), . A Charming independent bookshop overlooking the water in the historic centre of Itacaré. Wide selection of books in over 15 different languages (including English, French, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Dutch, Italian and Hebrew), and a space to relax away from the crowds with a coffee, real English tea or glass of wine. edit
- Ristorante Eden - a very high-end restaurant that serves by appointment only for a minimum of 6 guests and a maximum of 25. Run by Mariella and her husband, Sergio. Do not miss this treat while in town - near Concha Beach. (Update: This one was for sale in June 2007 so functionality is uncertain).
- Casarão Amarelo, Avenida Castro Alves, Centro . Another great restaurant in town, dishing out wonderful plates of coconut curry shrimp and other, less-exotic fare. At ~25-35 Reais / plate, it's another "don't miss".
- Dedo de Moça, Rua Plínio Soares, 26, Centro . Very nice quality restaurant.
- Mar e Mel, Praia da Concha . Good food and live music. Typical dishes & exotic drinks.
- Café-Bar Easy Drop, Rua João Coutinho, Centro. Drinks and live music.
- Tapiocaria Bem Bahia, Rua Lodonio de Almeida, Centro.
Itacare is filled with guest houses (pousadas) there's one for each budget and each style of traveler.
- Pousada Solarium, Loteamento Concha do Mar, quadra B nº32, Praia da Concha, (73) 3251 3031, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Solarium in Latim means "a place for sunbath", wich describe perfectly this accommodation.
- Aldeia do Mar Chalés, Rua- D Quadra- E Lote- 08, Praia da Concha, (73) 3251 2230, (email@example.com), . Perfect for wants a thrilling experience, built in 15,000m² is a hideaway in the Atlantic Forest.
- Pousada Maria Farinha, Rua Louro Amarelo, 240, Conchas II, (73) 3251 3515, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Maria Farinha is sort of crab very common in Itacaré, this accommodation has confortable rooms and delicious homemade breakfast with bread, cakes and jam.
- Pousada Pedra Torta, Rua B, Bairro Conchas do Mar, (73) 3251 3278, (email@example.com), . Opened in 2003, Pousada Pedra Torta has a rustic architecture with heaps of confort creating a pleasant environment.
- Pousada Atlantica, Rua C-Quadra D, Lotes 3-4-5, Loteamento Conchas do Mar, Phone:(73) 3251 2070 Fax:(73) 3251 3042, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . At this pousada (b&b) the guest can fell how friendly is Bahia people.
- Villa Ecoporan Pousada Charme, Rua Jacarandá, Condomínio Conchas do Mar II, (73) 3251 2470, (email@example.com), . Built in a green area, this accommodation it is a great place to spend your leisure time.
- Pousada Coqueiro Verde, Praia da Concha . Comfortable and stylish pousada. The website has photos of Itacare, a beach guide and a short town history section.
- Ilha Verde Rua Ataíde Setúbal, 234, Centro. A pousada where they serve a wonderful breakfast for only 5 Reais. Here Lua teaches Yoga for 50 Reais per month with three lessons/week.
- Albergue O Pharol, Praça Santos DuMont, 07, Centro. Affordable pousada with 12 collective and 2 private rooms.
- Che Lagarto Itacaré, Rua Pedro Longo, 58 - Itacaré, ☎ +55 (73) 3251 3019, . Located on the coast of Bahia, Che Lagarto Hostel Itacaré is a great choice if you are looking to stay in a fun environment with young people, go surfing, exploring waterfalls and trails and make new friends. edit