Houma is a small city (about 40,000 people, not including suburbs) in south central Louisiana. It is the seat and largest city in Terrebonne Parish, and the center of the Houma-Bayou Cane-Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area. The region in total is home to a little over 200,000.
Houma: Terrebonne Parish Court House, Main Street
Bayou Terrebonne runs through the town roughly east to west between Main Street and Park Avenue, with the Intracostal Waterway running north to south.
Houma, Louisiana is just off Highway 90 between New Orleans and Lafayette, Louisiana.
Directions from New Orleans (approx. 59 miles or 1 hour, 15 minutes):
- Merge onto I-10 W (9.7 miles)
- Merge onto I-310 S via exit 220 to Boutte/Houma (12.0 miles)
- Exit at US-90 W toward Houma (30.07 miles)
- Turn left at LA-24 E toward Houma (7.3 miles)
Directions from Lafayette, LA (approx. 104 miles or 2 hours, 10 minutes):
- From I-10, merge onto US-167 S via the US-90/US-167 S exit 103A to Lafayette (2.6 miles)
- Continue on US-90 E (93.8 miles)
- Turn right at LA-24 E (7.3 miles)
- Bayou Terrebonne Waterlife Museum, 7910 West Park Avenue, ☎ (985) 580-7200, . Small museum focuses on local relationship to the wetlands habitat. $3 admission. edit
- Chauvin Sculpture Garden, 5337 Bayouside Drive, Chauvin, ☎ (985)594-2564, . The garden has more than 100 concrete sculptures and is open from dawn to dusk, seven days a week. Free to the public. The NSU Folk Art Studio is open from 1pm-3pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and by appointment. edit
- Regional Military Museum, 1154 Barrow St, ☎ (985) 873-8200, . Focuses on the military history and contributions of Houma and the surrounding area, with special focus on World War II. Veterans give tours of the exibits. When they're not too busy, they'll let you try some "hands on" with some of the artifacts. edit
- Southdown Plantation House, 1208 Museum Dr (just off Little Bayou Black Drive in the South west part of town), ☎ (985) 851-0154, . Tue-Sat 10:00AM to 4:00PM. Historic plantation house is now home to the Terrebonne Museum of History and Culture $6 admission. edit
- Terrebonne Folklife Cultural Center, 317 Goode St, ☎ (985) 873-6545. Tue-Fri 9:00AM to 5:00PM. Local folk arts and crafts. $1 admission. edit
- Bayou Black Airboat Swamp Tours, 251 Marina Drive Houma, LA 70360, ☎ 985-665-8571. 1 1/2 hours. Enter another world, as you venture into the interior of the swamps only accessible by airboat. See alligators, birds and other wildlife. $40 Adults / $20 13 and under. edit
- Southland Mall, 5953 West Park Avenue, Houma, LA, 70364 (southeast corner of Park Ave (LA-24) & Bayou Gardens Blvd, north of town), ☎ 985-876-4765, . 10am-9pm. Southland Mall offers Dillards, JCPenney, Sears and a hundred shops. MC, V, Discover and travelers checks accepted. edit
- Boudreau and Thibodeau's Cajun Cookin, 5602 West Main Street, Houma, LA, 70364, ☎ 985-872-4711. 24 hours. Shrimp, crabs, crawfish, oysters, turtle, alligator, gumbo, etoufee, po-boys, salads, plate lunches and more. Credit cards accepted: A/E/, D, M/C, V. edit
- Cafe Dominique, 8013 Main Street Houma, Louisiana 70360, ☎ 985-223-7540. 5pm-10pm. Catering to the indulgent diner, as well as the health conscious foodie, our goal is to bring a new kind of dinning experience to the bayou by using organic produce, all natural and free range meats, along side the wonderful seafood from our local waters. edit
- Castalano's Deli & Catering, 7881 Main St (along Main St between Roussell & Goode St), ☎ (985) 853-1090. Mon-Sat 11:00AM to 9:00PM. has another location at 6897 West Park Ave, tel 853-2090 Mon-Sat 11 a - 9 p, offers drive through food pickup. edit
- Cafe Milano, 314 Belanger St (Along Belanger between Grinage & Church St. One block south of Main.), ☎ (985) 897-2426. Medium priced Italian lunch and dinner. Lunch Mon-Fri; Dinner Mon-Sat; Jazz Brunch Sunday. Sometimes has live jazz other times as well. edit
- Coffee Zone, 7884 Main St, ☎ (985) 223-2442. Mon-Fri 7:00AM to 4:00PM, Sat 8:00AM to 3:00PM. Breakfast, lunch, coffee, or snacks. Mon-Fri 7a - 4p, Sat 8a-3p. Free wi-fi computer access for customers; pay access for non-customers. edit
- Lunch Basket, 7937 Main St, ☎ (985) 872-1507. Mon-Fri 7:00AM to 4:00PM, Sat 8:00AM to 3:00PM. Local favorite for simple but tasty breakfast and lunch; reasonably priced.. edit
- Aficionados, 314 Belanger St., Houma, LA, 70360, ☎ 985-879-2426. Piano bar located in downtown Houma. Aficionados, Houma’s most elegant watering hole. edit
- Ramada Inn Houma, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd., +1 985-879-4871, .
- MainStay Suites (email@example.com), 1650 Grand Caillou Road , Houma, LA, US, 70363 (LA-57/Grand Caillou Rd), ☎ (985) 876-6210, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 11am. An extended stay hotel. $. edit
- Ramada Inn Thibodaux, 400 East 1st Street, ☎ +1 985 446-0561 (fax: +1 985 446-0559), . (29.798567,-90.815727) edit
- Maison Dugas B&B, 222 Tudor St, ☎ 985-226-7192 or 985-879-4189, . Family run B&B on northeast side of town. Ten miles to Chabert Medical Center and five minutes to route 90. Three bedrooms are for rent. One bedroom has a private bath. Two bedrooms share a bath. Rentals are available daily, weekly, or long term. $. (29.647377,-90.757759) edit
Telephone area code is 985.
Houma Area Convention and Visitors Bureau
P.O. Box 2792
Houma, LA 70361
toll free: 800-688-2732
- Coffee Zone 7884 Main Street
- New Orleans, Louisiana's largest city and most popular visitor destination, is a 90 minute drive to the north east.
- Lafayette, the main city of Louisiana's "Cajun Country", is just over 2 hours to the west.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!