Hillsborough is the main town on Carriacou in Grenada. Although there are no luxury hotels, there are guesthouses, the locals are friendly, rates are cheap and the beaches are uncrowded and beautiful. It is home to the annual Regatta festival and Carnival celebration.
Hillsborough has the main pier for Carriacou.
- You can walk around Hillsborough in less than an hour.
- Minibuses run 7AM-5PM for trips throughout the island.
- Ade's Dream, tel 443 7317, (email: [email protected] (email undeliverable to this address).)
- Martin & Wayne's, tel 443 7204.
- Sunkey's, tel 443 8382.
- Lincoln "Linky" Bedeau, tel 443 7566 & cellular: 406 2457 or VHF Channel 16.
- Kim Bethel, tel 443 7787 or cellular: 404 0279
- Snagg's Water Taxi, tel 443 8293, (email: [email protected]).
- Carriacou Museum - a tiny museum with Arawak and Carib artifacts, maps, post cards, and arts.
- Botanical Gardens Along a quiet back street, these gardens showcase some beautiful specimens of tropical plants.
- The beach, which extends west and east, is pretty pleasant.
- Carnival The weekend before Ash Wednesday, through Tuesday. A calypso competition called Dimarche Gras on Sunday night. Parade of the bands on Monday. Shakespeare recitation matches interspersed with rum drinking on Tuesday morning.
- Carriacou Regatta. Usually the first weekend in August. Begun in the mid 1960s as a simple working boat race, this has become a major Caribbean event, with shore side activities such as donkey-racing, walking the greasy-pole, a bicycle-race, drinking competitions, the Miss Aquaval pageant and evening-entertainment.
- No tennis, shopping, gambling, golf, movies.
Hillsborough has several general stores, and the only gas station on the island of Carriacou. There are 3 banks, the post office, customs agent, and a couple of lawyers' offices, as well as the GrenTel (Grenada Telephone system) office, should you need to call home.
Several restaurants are available. Maybe someone will list some of the better ones.
- Ade's Dream Guest House & Apartments, Main Street, Tel: 473-443-7317, (Fax: 473-443-8435,
Email: [email protected]).