Healesville is a small town at the eastern end of Victoria's Yarra Valley near Melbourne.
The town is only about half an hour from the outer eastern suburbs by the Maroondah Highway. Because of its proximity to the city, many people live in the area and drive into the suburbs for work, this makes the road very busy during rush hours, and there is a bottleneck around Lilydale. Outside of peak hours, it's an easy drive from the city to the peaceful bushland setting of the town.
If you don't want to drive, you can take a train from the centre of Melbourne to Lilydale, and then there is a regular (McKenzies) bus service which runs to Healesville via Yarra Glen. Although it is not directly connected to Melbourne, for public transport purposes Healesville is considered part of 'Zone Two' formerly Zone Three until zone reorganization, the outer-eastern transport zone, and it only costs around $10 for an all-day zone 1 and 2 rail and bus ticket.
- Healesville Sanctuary, Badger Creek Rd., 10 minute drive from Healesville; get the bus from Lilydale which either goes directly to the sanctuary or change in Healesville for a connecting bus, ☎ +61 3 59572800, . A world-renowned wildlife park. The sanctuary is run under the auspices of the Melbourne Zoo, and provides rehabilitation facilities for injured wildlife, breeding programs for several endangered species, and aims to educate the public about the unique and beautiful wildlife of Australia.. edit
- Badger Weir.
- a tourist railway operates from the town on weekends and public holidays.
- the Maroondah Reservoir is just a short drive further down the highway.
- TarraWarra Museum of Art, 311 Healesville-Yarra Glen Rd., ☎ +61 3 59573100. The museum has a wonderful collection of early Modernist Australian paintings in a location with sweeping views of the adjoining TarraWarra vineyards.. edit
There are many cafes along the main street, so there is no shortage of places to eat.
- Giant Steps/Innocent Bystander Winery, 336-364 Maroondah Hwy., ☎ +61 3 59626111. Bakery and Restaurant within a wine-making operation. edit
- The Oaks Accommodation Lilydale, 500 Maroondah Hwy, Lillydale, 3140 (3 mins east from the centre of Lilydale heading towards Healesville), ☎ +61 418 378 402, . Brand new fully self-contained premium accommodation with all of the modern conveniences. The Oaks is ideal for corporate or wedding group accommodation. Perfectly located at the start of the Yarra Valley, close to all of the major wedding venues including Stones of the Yarra Valley, Zonzo Yarra Valley and Coombe Yarra Valley estate. The Oaks Lilydale accommodation is the perfect choice for couples, families or groups up to 12. The 2 Cottages both have three bedrooms and located just 3 minutes from Lilydale station in a beautiful tranquil location. The "Oaks Lilydale" can be booked as one, two or three bedroom accommodation upon request. Both cottages have fully equipped kitchens, reverse cycle air conditioning and heating, stereo, flat screen TV with foxtel, WiFi, outdoor private deck area with BBQ facilities, and undercover parking. All linen and towels are provided. www.theoakslilydaleaccommodation.com.au/ edit