Hawthorne is a city in Los Angeles County in Southern California and home to the famous SpaceX facility.
- Lawndale is a small town to the south of the city. Described by some as "ghetto" due to it's aging appearance.
- Del Aire is a small unincorporated area inside the western part of the city.
The main air transport hub for Southern California.
- Optionally, there is also the Hawthorne Municipal Airport that serves small, private aircraft.
- Hawthorne Blvd. is a very big street that goes directly through both Lawndale and Hawthorne. It can be confusing for one driving on it for the first time. The north and south lanes are separated by a wide center with narrow parking lots and trees. Driving through, you may notice many dentist's offices on either side. Note: Recently the street in Hawthorne has been undergoing some expansive widening and is at present a difficult route.
- El Segundo Blvd. and Rosecrans Ave. are big east/ west route through Hawthorne that eventually end at the beach.
- Manhattan Beach Blvd. goes west through Lawndale and ends in Manhattan Beach.
- From the East: The San Diego Freeway through Lawndale and north to the west of Hawthorne. Off-ramps include Rosecrans Ave., El Segundo Blvd., and Imperial Hwy,
- From the North: The Century Freeway runs along Hawthorne's northern border. Off-ramps include Hawthorne Blvd. and Crenshaw Ave.
- Metro Rapid Line route 740 runs on Hawthorne Blvd.
- Metro Local routes 40, 125, 126, 210, 211, 215 run through both cities.
Car is usually the most efficient way to get around in any Southern California city. During rush hour, most streets are clogged with traffic.
Municipal Bus Lines
- Lawndale High School is interesting for its theater being the the tallest building in Lawndale.
- Alondra Golf Course, 16400 Prairie Ave, ☎ (310) 217-9919, . Large golf course run by the County Parks department. edit
- Alondra Park, 3850 Manhattan Beach Blvd, ☎ 310) 217-8366, . Huge county regional park just outside of town. Recently underwent an extensive renovation. Pools, playgrounds, indoor basketball court, skate park, and a large duck pond. The pond can get a little gross looking if it hasn't been cleaned in a while. edit
- South Bay Galleria, 1815 Hawthorne Blvd, ☎ (310) 371-7546, . 10am - 8am. A HUGE three-story shopping mall just to the south of town with dozens of stores and a movie theater. Mostly a safe place, but there has been mugging there in the past. If need be, you can have a security guard walk you to your car. edit
- Comfort Inn Cockatoo, 11500 Acacia Ave, ☎ 13109733331, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: noon. Free airport shuttle, free breakfast, free Wifi, all rooms have microwaves and fridges. $59-99. edit
- Candlewood Suites, 11410 Hawthorne Blvd, ☎ 310-973-3335, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: noon. Fully equipped kitchens, free LAX shuttle, free laundry. $50-99, low rates for 7+ nights. edit
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 11436 Hawthorne Blvd, ☎ 1+310+973-3333, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: Noon. Free LAX shuttle, free hot breakfast buffet, pool and spa, free Wireless internet access. $79-$129. edit