Harpenden is a town in Hertfordshire near the border of Bedfordshire. It is near the city of St Albans and Luton. It is a primarily a residential community, near the outside of the London commuter belt, but if passing through, there are interesting sights and pleasant places to be enjoyed in this town.
Harpenden Station is served by First Capital Connect from London St Pancras and Luton Airport Parkway. First Capital Connect also serves Gatwick Airport, but with direct journeys only operating at certain times. At times of limited direct services, it is possible to change at St Pancras onto another First Capital Connect service northbound towards Bedford.
Local bus companies operate services around the town and connect Harpenden to Luton, St Albans, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and other nearby towns, but the most advisable way to navigate Harpenden is on foot.
- Rothampsted Manor and Park is located on the western side of the town, and was part of the estate of agricultural scientist Sir John Bennett Lawes. The Rothampsted Experimental Station is still functioning, but it is open to the public to walk through. Nearer the town, the expansive park remains a very pleasant place to spend summer afternoons, equipped with a skate park, tennis courts and a children's play area.
- Batford Springs Natural Reserve is located on the River Lea on the eastern side of the town, and is another green open area to pass time. There is a river ford, weir and sluice gate - exploring these can be fun for kids.
- Harpenden Common is situated south of the High Street, on the A1081 road towards St Albans, and is also home to Harpenden Common Golf Club.
- Church Green War Memorial
- St Nicholas Church is the largest church in its parish, and is located on Church Green just off the High Street.
- Pizza Express is a short walk from the station, on the edge of the common.
- Prezzo is on Harpenden High Street
- Sazio provides Italian cuisine and is also on the High Street.
- Towards the north of the High Street is 'The Bangkok Lounge', offering very nice Thai cuisine.
- Shapla is on Station Road, and has a nice variety of Indian food.
- Pasta Cibo is a family favourite for many residents, with reasonably priced and delicious home-style Italian cooking, in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Prices of all these restaurants is reasonable, but remember that dining out in Britain is not a particularly cheap option.
- The George
- Inn on the Green
- Cross Keys
- Harpenden Arms
- Silver Cup
- If you can get hold of a bicycle and a map (or a desire to explore independently), there are great opportunities for discovering nearby villages such as Kimpton, Peter's Green, Whitwell, Wheathamstead, Redbourn or Flamstead. All of these have more individual small-town feels to them, and often have nice pubs to stop by in.
- Follow the above options for accessing larger towns and cities in the Hertfordshire area.