Gurgaon (गुड़गांव) is a suburban city of Delhi, just across the state line in Haryana.
Where modern India meets ancient Bharat: workers crushing bricks by hand in front of a 21st century office building
Not long ago a sleepy suburb of Delhi, Gurgaon now boasts over a million inhabitants, slick office complexes housing companies ranging from Accenture to Xerox, and more shopping malls per square mile than anywhere else in India. Unfortunately, the rapid growth happened much faster than the city could handle and now, infrastructure is no where near the standards required. The city is a glimpse into the future of India. Skyscrapers dominate the skyline, high end shopping is readily available, restaurants of all types and a brand new metro system.
Gurgaon has the typical climate you'd expect in the northern plains of India and it is almost the same as that of Delhi. Winters are very cold and foggy. Early summers are hot and rainy while late summers are dusty and scorchingly hot. Due to the massive amount of construction in the city, it is incredibly dusty, year round.
Delhi's Indira Gandhi International is just across the border of Gurgaon, a fact which no doubt adds to its popularity. Check the weather to plan your travel.
The northeastern part of Gurgaon is served by the Yellow Line of the Delhi Metro, which runs from NH-8's IFFCO Chowk crossing along MG Road over the border towards Qutub Minar, Saket and straight to Connaught Place. Travel time is about 50 minutes, with tickets Rs. 25 one way.
Gurgaon also has a small rail station on the Delhi-Jaipur railway line, but it only receives about five trains a day. The Station is near The colony bhim Garh Kheri Part 2
DTC and Haryana Roadways buses runs down National Highway 8 in Delhi. Buses to Gurgaon can be best boarded at Dhaula Kuan (on the Inner Ring Road). Alternatively, there is a small dedicated Gurgaon-bound bus terminal at Karol Bagh near the unmissable 100-foot Hanuman statue, a five-minute walk west of Jhandewala Metro station or a short cycle rickshaw ride (Rs.10) from Karol Bagh metro station. Buses cost Rs. 22 one-way.
Also Haryana Roadways, Mewat and Kamal (Private buses) runs from Sarai Kale Khan to Gurgaon Bus Stand whole day. Also there is frequent service of DTC buses between Gurgaon Bus Stand to Badarpur Border via Mehrauli and Khanpur.
National Highway 8, now an eight-lane expressway, connects Delhi to Gurgaon and Jaipur. Travel time is under 30 minutes in optimal conditions, but is regularly jammed during peak hours. The road is additionally still victim to water logging in heavy monsoon rains.
Starting from the bus stop "IIT Gate" south of the IIT flyover of the Outer Ring Road in Delhi you can get all day and night (because of 24h service for call centres) jeeps and cars with yellow plates carrying you for Rs. 10 (Aug 2007) to places like the Bristol hotel or the IFFCO chowk. Sitting in these cabs at peak times means to use the normal back bench of a car with 3 to 4 other people and without AC, but at off times you travel in the comfort of a taxi without paying more than Rs. 10!
Public transport within Gurgaon is, in a word, terrible. However there are some intercity mini-buses which go from Gurgaon Bus Stand (near Police Lines) to Mall region and ahead on the MG (Mehrauli-Gurgaon) road. Cost is Rs.20 per head. Ladies don't need to worry about travelling in these buses as most often than not, the conductor ensures that the lady gets a seat.
Delhi metro serves the northern portion of Gurgaon. The ride is very comfortable and good value for money. The journey from Sikandarpur Station in Gurgaon to Connaught place is around 25 KM and will take roughly 40 minutes.
A privately funded metro train is currently being built to serve the city. The first phase of Rapid Metro Gurgaon is already complete and the second phase is expected to finish by early 2017. You can catch the Rapid Metro Gurgaon at Sikandarpur Metro Station.
Cycle Rickshaws are also an option - usually Rs.20 per head for a distance of 1.5-2 km.
By Taxi / Car
- IndiaTaxiOnline (Gurgaon Car Rental), ☎ +91 9540000804 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Enquiry: 7am to 11pm. Gurgaon Car Rental services on Indiataxionline.co.in - a Chauffeur Driven Car Rental service in Gurgaon. Fares start from Rs.2300 for full day local & Rs.14.5/km for Outstation. edit
Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary is about 15 km from Gurgaon . You can spot a variety of migratory birds around a natural lake. There are other bird watching sites nearby which can be considered as day trip options.
Sohna lake is about 10 km from Gurgaon. It is best to visit after rainfall and during winters.
- Damdama Lake(1 hour drive away)
- Sheetla Mata Mandir (Ahead of Sector 14)
- Leisure Valley Park (Near IFFCO Chowk)
32nd Milestone, N.H.08 is the destination for fun, food and festivities in Gurgaon. Numerous leisure activities like Go Karting, Net Cricket, Bowling, Pool etc along with a classy bar, a bakery, a casual cafe, an Indian restaurant and an Oriental Grill make it an ideal place to spend the weekend with the family. They usually have special events and promotions planned around most national and international festivals too.
- PVR - Sahara Mall (2 Screens), Metropolitian Malls (9 Screens), Ambience Mall (9 Screens). Tickets would cost you around Rs.140 on weekdays and around Rs.175 on weekends. Good thing is that there are lot of late shows - the last show starts almost at 12 midnight!
- DT Cinemas - DT City Centre and Mega Mall. Tickets would cost you around Rs.150 on weekdays and as much as Rs. 200 on a big opening on weekends. Late shows too - last show starts around 11PM!
- Wet and wild resort - About 15 km away on the Jaipur highway ,lookout for turn to left before Manesar. Chill down your summer heat , water games and sports are great fun. Don't forget to take you swim wear. Very affordable outing.
- Devi Art Foundation, Plot 39, Sector 44, Gurgaon 122002 (Behind Epicentre (Apparel House)), . 11AM.- 7.00PM. The Devi Art Foundation is one of the first not-for-profit spaces dedicated to showcasing contemporary art from the Indian Subcontinent. It is envisioned as a space that will enable wider audiences to interact with cutting edge and experimental art works. The current exhibition, 'Where in the World' takes a look at the effects of globalization on contemporary Indian art and has 65 art-works by over 20 Indian artists. The Foundation is open to the public on all days except Monday, from 11AM- 7PM The exhibition is on until 3rd May, '09. Free entry. edit
- Kingdom of Dreams, behind leisure valley ,sec 29, . cultural gully through which you can see every famous place located in India and Indian culture. 500 n 700. edit
Shopping malls abound in Gurgaon, mostly along the central thoroughfare of Mehrauli-Gurgaon (MG) Road. Best way to get there is via private mini-buses from Gurgaon Bus-stand near Jain Temple and say "Mall". One way ticket costs Rs.5.
- DLF Grand Mall  - Land Mark the book store
- DLF Mega Mall 
- DT City Centre, MG Road, . Pharmacy, Pizza Hut, Ruby Tuesdays, cineplex.
- Gold Souk . Specializes in high-end jewelry.
- MGF Metropolitan,  MG Road. One of the largest and most popular malls, anchored by a large PVR cineplex (9 Screens). Food court on the 3rd floor and a good selection of upscale restaurants.
- MGF Plaza,  MG Road (near NH-8). Devoted to furniture and home decoration, but there are some good restaurants on the top floor.
- MGF Mega City,  MG Road (near NH-8).
- Sahara Mall,  MG Road. Currently the king of the heap. Features a perennially packed two-level Big Bazaar supermarket. Awesome pubs and restaurants on the top floor which are open till quite late.
- Galaxy Mall,  National Highway 8, Hotel plus mall for exclusive ethnic items.
- Ambience Mall, National Highway - 8, Near Toll Plaza. The Biggest of them all, host of premium stores like DebenHams and an enormous food court. edit
- Ambience Mall Gurgaon, . The Biggest Mall of India where you can Shop, Eat Food, Make Fun and Entertainment edit
- Cafe Mamma Mia, 32nd Milestone, N.H.08, Gurgaon [wwww.32ndmilestone.com]charming, al fresco Italian cafe and bakery cafe, thin crust wood fired pizzas, pastries, artisan breads, cakes, homemade chocolates.
- Haldiram's, Sahara Mall GF/1F, MG Road, ,also at kherki Daula on NH-8. The local mega-outlet of the famous manufacturer of Indian sweets, but the emphasis here is on the fast food, especially their versions of Delhi chaat. Try the Raj Kachori, a crispy bowl filled with stuffing, yoghurt and spicy chutneys. All chaat are under Rs.50, or you can get a full daily thali for Rs.128. Vegetarian.
- Kwality, DT City Centre 2F, MG Road. Tandooris, biryani, chaat and Indo-Chinese semi-fast food at semi-cheap prices. Most meals under Rs.100.
- Om Sweets, Sector 14 and Sector 31 markets ,they also have outlets in sector-4 market, sector 23 market and sector57's hongkong bazaar . Famous for sweets like dodha ,rasmalai, rasgulla etc. Gol gappa , jalebi ,kulfi and paneer tikka are some of the favourites . Indian cuisine is good, only vegetarian food is available .
- Bikanerwala, Near Leisure Valley , Gurgaon. Great ambience and assortment of indian dishes like chole bhature , lassi , kulfi , dosa, chinese food, pizza . Indian cuisine is good, only vegetarian food is available. Try their Alphonso ice-cream in summers - a very exotically-packed ice-cream inside a mango!
- Saleem's, DLF Phase - 4, Super Mart - 1. Specialists in tandooris, kebabs and Mughlai dishes. They have outlets in C.R. Park and Kailash Colony markets in Delhi also.
- India House, 32nd Milestone, N.H.08, Gurgaon [www.32ndmilestone.com] charming, Extensive, value-for-money lunch buffet and a host of gourmet à la carte Pan India Cuisine and a range of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks. Fine Dining and Service at Moderate Prices.
- Cuisine on Call, 32nd Milestone, N.H.08, Gurgaon [www.32ndmilestone.com] Gourmet delivery by 32nd Milestone. Soups, Salads, American, Chinese, Continental, Bar-Be-Que,Indian Cuisine/Thalis etc. delivered within Gurgaon. Very Moderate Prices. Veg Thali at Rs. 130 and Non Veg Thali at Rs. 150
- Deez, MGF Metropolitan 3F, MG Road, tel. +91-124-4066660. Mouth-meltingly soft chicken, mutton and veg biryanis. The "medium" size pot (Rs.249) will easily feed three. Free delivery for orders over Rs.125.
- Khaaja Chowk!, MGF Plaza 3F, MG Road (near NH-8). Simultaneously retro and modern, you can choose to dine at glass tables or inside a pimped-out autorickshaw. The speciality here is Indian street food, and the Great Indian Chaat Platter (Rs.130) is worthy of the name. Veg and non-veg options, lunch sets around Rs.150, in the evening around Rs.200/head.
- Wow! Italia, MGF Metropolitan 3F, MG Road, tel. +91-124-4018551. Decent pasta and excellent pizza made in a wood-fired oven. Around Rs.200/300 for most 8"/13" pizzas (less for veg, more for seafood or ham). Free delivery for orders over Rs.200.
- Italiano, DLF Phase II,Nathupur.Decent pasta and pizzas though very limited Vegetarian options. Meals around Rs.800-1000 for 2 people with a round of beer.
- Sahib Sindh Sultan, Ambience Mall. Amazing North Indian food with an ambience of a train. Meals around Rs700-1000 for 2 people. Alcoholic drinks available
"Hi LANKA - Tasty Sri Lankan Food, one and only in Gurgaon. 140. Sect 31, HUDA Market, Nr Modern Mart, Opp. Uniworld City, Contact 9999.700.811 or 220.127.116.116
- Le Petite Pantry, Ambience Island, Gurgaon [www.lepetitepantry.com] an online store for Gourmet & Innovative foods sourced from Food Artisans in Delhi & Gurgaon. Enjoy Organic Vegetables, European Bread (baked to order with NO Preservatives NO Milk solids NO Food Color), Cakes, Quiche, Coffee Whole Beans & Fresh Ground, Mediterranean Sweets (Baklava) and more. No Minimum Order & Home Delivery in South Delhi & Gurgaon.
- Terrazzo, The Terrace Bar, 32nd Milestone, N.H.08, Gurgaon [wwww.32ndmilestone.com]a discerning wine library, Whiskey and Cocktail Bar, Super fine ambience and Service, stone flagged courtyards and antique marble busts. Happy Hours every day. Average Price Rs.1000 per person
- Koi, Oriental Kitchen and Grill, 32nd Milestone, N.H.08, Gurgaon [wwww.32ndmilestone.com] A brand new deluxe restaurant offering authentic oriental menu. Boasts of an open Kitchen, grill, alcohol pairing and designer setting with numerous aquariums and french windows. Japanese, Korean, Thai and Chinese fine cuisine has a new address in Gurgaon at Koi from November 2012 onwards. Average Price Rs. 1000 per person.
Join in; we make sure there’s always a table for those who appreciate the finer details.
- Baujee ka Dhaba, MGF Metropolitan 3F, MG Road. A branch of the famous restaurant in Delhi's Hauz Khas, this serves up glorious North-West Frontier food (kebabs, biryani etc) in over-the-top traditional surroundings, all heavy copper plates, tribal fabrics and plastic garlic hanging from the ceiling. Even if you have lentils coming out your ears, don't miss their dhaba dal. Rs. 300.
- China Club, Lobby Level, Tower C, Global Business Park, MG Road, ☎ +91-124-2566000. Fancy Chinese restaurant with waiters in bowties and round tables, serving up actual Chinese food (as opposed to the Chindian variety) for a premium price. Try the Szechuan double-cooked pork. Rs. 500. edit
- Chor Bizarre, MGF Metropolitan FC 1-5, MG Road . The local branch of the acclaimed chain, serving up Kashmiri food in eclectic surrounding like a chor bazaar (thieves market). The buffet is laid out inside an old car! Figure on Rs. 300 for a full meal.
- Grover's, SCO 28 Sector 31. Cool icecream parlour.
- K2, MGF Plaza 3F, MG Road, tel. +91-124-4379151. The two K's stand for "Korea" and "Karaoke", the mainstays of this hip red-and-black Korean-run restaurant-lounge. Catering largely to Delhi's small Korean expat community, the food is authentic (they even have beef!) and fairly reasonably priced. Rs. 300-500.
- Nazaare Pind De, SCO 28 Sector 31. Punjabi fine dining.
- The Odyssey Restaurant & Nightclub, 3rd Floor, Sahara Mall, Gurgaon, MG Road. , 0124-4048031/32/33. One of the most famous and classiest restaurants in India. Multi cuisine; Indian, Iranian, Chinese, Continental and Thai. Chefs were flown in from Iran and Thailand to make the food more authentic. Try their Chelo kebabs and Dahi kebabs. Their desserts are also to die for!
- Oz, MGF Plaza 3F R-02, MG Road, tel. +91-124-5019528, . Stylish Middle Eastern/Mediterranean restaurant, oddly located on the top floor of a quiet furniture mall. The menu covers Arabic and Italian favorites, with fairly decent mezze (plate for two Rs.400) and a select of grills and pastas. Bar-lounge with DJ for drinks afterward. Rs. 400.
- YourPlate, D-2,1st Floor ,South City-II (D Block Mkt) (above HDFC Bank), ☎ +91-8800300041, . Chinese restaurant which serves mouthwatering authentic Pan Asian Cuisine and excellent delivery service. Rs 299. edit
Most of Gurgaon's nightlife spots are tucked away — where else? — on the top floors of malls.
- TGI Friday's, Metropolitan Mall, MG Road, . Yes, it's just like every other TGI Friday's on the planet, but this is still a favorite way to start off an evening. Food is decent but expensive, so most stick to happy hour beers. Open noon to midnight.
- Chinese and Thai Cafe, on the 1st floor of JMD plaza, opposite Sahara Mall. The destination for all you lovers of Rock Music. The best place in town for some head banging!
- Komachi, 3rd floor, MGF Plaza mall, MG-Road, IFFCO-chowk, Gurgaon, Haryana, India, ☎ 0124-4261193. The Chefs there are hand picked and flown all the way from Japan to produce a very authentic, and fine japanese cuisine serving a wide range of japanese delicacies and drinks. Komachi is one of the highest rated Japanese restaurant in the guidebook which makes it the ideal place to eat, relax, and enjoy a evening or a lunch. edit
Demand far outstrips supply in Gurgaon and prices are terribly inflated; it's hard to find any halfway decent bed for the night for under $200. If comparing prices in Gurgaon and Delhi, remember that Delhi hotels charge tax on the rack rate, while Haryana (Gurgaon) hotels don't.
- Nirvaanam Hotel - Gurgaon, is a quality accommodation at affordable pricing, for corporate/medical tourists. Located on the NH-8, close to all industrial areas and Medanta Hospital.  from Rs 1499/night -Contact 0124 - 2200191, 9999939339
- Ginger Hotel - Manesar, A TATA Enterprise is in the industrial town of Manesar and offers quality accommodation at affordable pricing from Rs 1500/night -Contact 0124 - 6763333
- Service Apartment Room, . checkin: 2:00 pm; checkout: 12:00 noon. This is a spacious room in a serviced apartment. Amenities include air conditioning, wifi and cable TV. It is also centrally located. 50 USD. edit
- Silver Oak - Budget Hotel / Guest House for the corporate traveller. Very clean, spacious. Many central locations in Gurgaon. Walking distance to Metro Stations. Malls & Corporate offices in immediate vicinity. 24hrs. Room Service & manned reception. Ph: +91-9873145941 / +91-124-4052382. e-mail: email@example.com
- Veera Residency - Gurgaon, is a quality accommodation at affordable pricing, for corporate tourists. Located on the NH-8, close to DLF Cyber City and all the major companies in immediate vicinity. One night stay cost with breakfast is Rs 1600 - Contact +91-9717944665
- Perch Arbor Suites, C 988, Sushant Lok Phase 1, Sector 43, Gurgaon-122009 (Right Opp Courtyard Marriott in Sushant Lok, close to Golf Course Road), ☎ +91-880061053, . Luxury Suites @ Budget Rates - Free Breakfast, Free WiFi, Housekeeping, Room Service, Gym, Parking. Great Reviews on Tripadvisor (28.459871,77.0787893) edit
- 32nd Milestone, N.H. 08, Gurgaon A unit of Milestone Hotels and Resorts, Tel 124 4870400. Comfortable rooms and dining options in the heart of Gurgaon at pocket friendly prices. Rs. 3000 onwards
- Cinnamon Stays, Opp. Omaxe City Centerhttp://www.cinnamonstays.in],MD 39, Eldeco Mansionz, Off Sohna Road, Gurgaon,Phone-+91 9560550015, Emailfirstname.lastname@example.org [ Price USD 75-85.
- Perch Service Apartments, 1053, Sector -40, Gurgaon (1 Km from HUDA city, 200 m short of Unitech Cyber Park), ☎ +91-880061053, . Professionally Managed Service Apartments - Studios, 1 & 2 Bedroom Apartments (28.445594,77.0570513) edit
- Best Western Resort Country Club, Pachgaon-Mohammadpur Road, Gurgaon, India, ☎ +91-1267-278202, . Four-star resort in Manesar along NH-8 to Jaipur, a good 30 km south of central Gurgaon. edit
- Alpine Park Corporate Guest House, DLF Phase 2. Corporate guest house, walking distance to Sahara Mall and MG Road. Rs 1500.
- Ibis Gurgaon, Block 1 Sector 53 Golf Course Rd, ☎ +91-124-4755000, . Opened in August 2008, this was the first Accor hotel in India, and Gurgaon's first reasonably priced Western hotel. Slick modern rooms, free wifi. Rs.4400. edit
- Lemon Tree Hotel, City Center,287, Millennium City Center, Sector 29, Gurgaon,Phone-+91 124 4160303, Emailemail@example.com
- Lemon Tree Hotel, Udyog Vihar, 866, Udyog Vihar, Phase V, Phone-+91 124 4423232, Emailfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Alpine Park Hotel, DLF Phase 2 Nr Cyber City, . Corporate Hotel Motel Lodge, walking distance to Sahara Mall and MG Road. Rs 2100 onwards.
- Park Inn Hotel, Civil Lines, . Nice, but far from metro and the new shopping districts. $130 onwards.
- Hotel Mandakini Destination,, Civil Lines, Gurgaon, Emailemail@example.com
- Hotel Mandakini,, M-11 A/10, DLF Phase-II,Gurgaon, Haryana - 122002,India,Emailfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Large Private Room - B&B, . checkin: 12:00pm; checkout: 12:00pm. You can order home-cooked exquisite meals in less oil and even request the family-host for their zero-sugar Banana ice-cream! Embark on a food tour or try out cooking some simple Indian dishes. Breakfast is included. US$81 per night.. edit
- Fortune Select Global, Mehrauli-Gurgaon Road, ☎ +91-124-4196666 (fax: +91-124-4062388), . One of the finest business hotels just 16kms from international airport and 19kms from domestic airport. edit
- Crowne Plaza, Site 2, Sector 29 (off NH-8), ☎ +91-124-4534000, . Modern business hotel opened in 2007. US$300. edit
- Park Plaza Gurgaon, B Block, Sushant Lok, tel. +91-124-4150000, . $300+.
- Trident Gurgaon. Looking like a space-age cross between the Taj Mahal and a UFO cult, this supermodern hotel defies hyperbole and is head and shoulders above the competition. Two good restaurants and bar. If you can afford it, about the only negative is that there are no shopping or other facilities within walking distance. $400+.
- Westin - 1 MG Rd, Sector 29, Gurgaon, Haryana 1222002 Ph:+91 124 4977777- Opened 1 Oct 2010
- Aamod (Manesar), B-14 Uppal Farms, Bilaspur Village, Near Manesar, Gurgaon (2 kms from NH8 (Delhi-Jaipur Highway)), ☎ +91-9213022540, . checkin: 2 p.m.; checkout: 11 a.m.. ‘Aamod at Manesar': Elegantly rustic, visually stunning, grand yet intimate is an exclusive boutique property. Located on the outskirts of Manesar, just 2 kms from NH8 (Delhi-Jaipur Highway), 62 km from Delhi and a mere 20km from the Gurgaon exit toll plaza. 8000 - 12000. (28.3148,76.9065) edit
- Gurgaon Medical Directory,Find Doctors/ Hospitals/ Clinics and more... 
- Artemis Hospital and Medical Institute, Sector 51, Gurgaon, Tel - +91-124-6767000, 
- Paras Hospital, Gurgaon, Tel - +91-124-4585666, 
- Medanta - The Medicity, Gurgaon, Tel - +91-124-4141414, 
- Max Hospital, B - Block, Sushant Lok - I, Gurgaon, Tel - +91-124-623350, 
- The Apollo Clinic, Sector 14, Gurgaon, Tel - +91-95124-4082230-32, 
- PRIVAT HOSPITAL, DLF City-II, M.G. Road, Gurgaon, +91-124-4324300, +91-9810124556, 
- Columbia Asia Hospital, Block - F, Gol Chakkar, Palam Vihar, Gurgaon +91 -124 - 39898969, 
- Diet Cliic, M3, Sec 14, Gurgaon +91 8010 8882 22, 
Ayurveda & Yoga
- Dhamsota is sritual mediation center in gurgaon.
- Delhi - just a short hop away
- Jaipur - Rajasthan's fabled "pink city", a 5 hour drive down NH-8
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!