Gura Humorului is in Southern Bukovina. The town itself is less interesting than Sighisoara or Brasov, but it is very close to the Painted Monasteries of Bucovina, which are listed by UNESCO as World Heritage Sites. The scenery around Gura Humorului is very beautiful as well.
It is well connected to Suceava with both bus and train. Bus and train stations (autogara and gara) are very close to each other and they are next to the center. See CFR for train schedules for the whole country. There is a link for an English version in the lower right corner.
It's a small town and you can get around on foot. Taxis are an inexpensive option at around 2 RON per kilometer.
- The main reason to come here is to visit two painted monasteries nearby. If you want to go by yourself, you can go to Voronet walking, it will take about 1 hour and half and the landscape is very nice. Voronet Monastery is known for its striking blue color and the depiction of Heaven and Hell. Humor Monastery (Manastirea Humorului) is not as well preserved as Voronet, but it has an impressive guard tower which you can scale for a nice view. Humor is also reachable by foot (allow 1.5 hours). You can also take a maxitaxi (large van/small bus) to Manastirea Humorului. The maxitaxi leaves fairly regularly from the front of the Best Western hotel at the center of town. Keep in mind there is no sign for the maxitaxi and no schedule, just look for a group of people gathered in front of the hotel. The maxitaxi costs about 1 leu. Taxis are also available. One-way costs to either monastery should be 10-15 lei. For visiting the other monasteries, ask for information at the stand inside the Moldova Restaurant.
- If you want to use Internet, there is an Internet cafè just in front of the train station. It costs 2 lei/hour.
Try to locate Letitia Orsivschi from Vama (about 20km west of Gura Humorului). She paints eggs in traditional patterns with hot wax. She does this all free hand with a single horse hair brush. Her work is very impressive and very inexpensive to purchase. She does not speak English, but does speak French. Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Also try to find Radu Bircea. He is a fantastic local painter. He does not speak English either, but I believe he speaks Russian.
The front desk staff at the Best Western Hotel can probably help you locate either Letitia or Radu. The staff at the town museum might also be helpful.
Gura Humorului has no restaurants that fill the gap between posh, like Best Western and the small fast food places, that are popular with the locals. So you either sit with other foreign tourists or eat while listening to loud music together with locals.
- Restaurantul Moldova - you will see on the right while walking from the main square (where the huge Best hotel is) towards the bridge. It's a good restaurant making some traditional Romanian dishes. Inside there is a small stand giving touristic information. They also plan trips for the surrounding Painted monasteries.
- Hilde's Residence - just off the main road near the bus station (huge sign post). Breakfast is nice here. The food is traditional and pricey, but good value.
In the city center go to "La Bomba" a quiet little pub/pizza place.Prices are relatively cheap, as beer starts from 4 Ron (aprox 1 euro)
You will see many signs on the main road, as you enter this small town, so finding a place to sleep should not be a problem.
- Best Western Bucovina , Pta Republicii 18, telephone 0230/207.000. Four star hotel featuring 130 rooms (singles, doubles, suites), two restaurants (200 seats) and an elegant bar with 45 seats. It also has a large terrace and a spa (sauna, jacuzzi, fitness room, massage). Seven conference halls (650 seats).
- Pensiunea Bucovina Hills, Str. Stefan cel Mare Nr. 119D, Manastirea Humorului (5km north of Gura Humorului), ☎ +40 742 150 231, +40 742 125 700. This guesthouse is located just north of Gura Humorului. It is situated on the Humor River with the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains as a backdrop. Humor Monastery is a 10 minute stroll away. Bogdan and Daniela Jucan are the owners and your hosts. Both speak English very well. Daniela even teaches English at the local high school. They have housed people from many different countries. A United States Peace Corps Volunteer even lived with them for two years. Double rooms cost 75-90 RON per night. Meals are also available for additional cost. For three meals per day, the cost is 60-75 RON per person. Email address: email@example.com Website: Pensiunea Bucovina Hills edit
- Vila Ramona *** - Str. Oborului 6, 725300 Gura Humorului. Tel. +40 230 232996, mobil 0722 558583, website http://www.ramona.ro, email firstname.lastname@example.org. It's a nice hotel next to the center. To get there, start walking west from the main square (where the huge Best Western hotel is) towards the bridge. After the bridge turn on the first street on the right, then you should be able to follow the signs. A twin room with a private toilet costs 90 lei/night (the whole room), but you can pay in euro if you want. They provide a small swimming pool and a sauna. The sauna costs 15/lei per person and there must be at least 2 people in there. Breakfast is not included, but if you want it it will cost 5 extra euros.
- German Forum Accommodation *** - Bulevardul Bucovina 8 725300 Gura Humorului. This house behind the catholic church has almost the same location as the huge Best Western mologh, but has more modest dimensions, which makes this a more friendly place to stay. It's the house, where the German minority of Bucovina meet and try to preserve their cultural heritage. The contact is handled by the owner of Hilde's Residence and it has no website, so booking can be done through external websites. Search for 'German Forum Accommodation Gura Humorului' will show you the results.