Gujranwala (Punjabi, Urdu: گوجرانوالہ ਗੋਜਰਾਨਵਾਲਾ ) is a major industrial city in Punjab, Pakistan. It is on GT Road at the distance of 40 miles from Lahore.
Gujranwala is famous as the city of wrestlers. The City and wrestling run neck to neck. It has produced famous wrestlers of the sub-continent, who have proved their skill and strength. This city is proud to attain fame in sub-continent in this behalf with grand titles ever won by any city of the world. Before the independence of Pakistan The Great Gama was the unbeatable champion of Indo-Pak sub continent, but a Gujranwala Wrestler Raheem Sultani wala wrestled twice with the Great Gama and won the title of "Rustum Hind" or "The Lion Of India".
The famous Wrestlers (grapplers) were: Rahim Bux Phelwan Sultani wala (Rustum Hind), Younus Phelwan (Sitar-e-Pakistan), Acha Phelwan (Sher-e-Pakistan) and many more were there who entitled the city as the "City of Wrestlers" or "Phelwana da shehur
Gujranwala is a hot, dusty city and the combination of the two may reduce visibility in the summer. In April through June, temperatures regularly top 40°C, meaning that proper hydration is of the utmost importance. In winter there can be seasonal fog; on particularly foggy days, it can be difficult to see across the street. If you happen to be traveling in or out of city during the winters, be aware of fog-related flight delays. Drink only bottled water so you may avoid any water-related illness. Keep yourself covered in summers to avoid a heat stroke. Drink a lot of water - 3 litres a day - particularly in the summer
Gujranwala is a major centre of rail, highway and river transportation.Tourist finds old steam engine frequently, enjoys rikshaw and chingchi to reach narrow street of clothing market/Bazar. Beautiful painted buses run on the road , painting on truck and buses , is another indigenous form of art performed in Pakistan . With its all colorful floral patterns, depiction of human heroes with creative aspect ratios, calligraphy of poetic verses and driver’s words of wisdom, this form of art is truly a part of Pakistani transport tradition. You can find it all in Gujranwala. The city has a dry port for the export of local products to the rest of the world. The major transporter are City tour.
By road, the city is less than two hours away from Lahore, the capital of Punjab and three hours drive from Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan. There are also excellent rail links with major cities in Pakistan including Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Peshawar etc. Gujranwala has convenient connections to Lahore and Sialkot airports. The city is in a great location and easy to get to from almost anywhere in the country. The city is served directly by the motorway providing fast links to the rest of the country.
Gujranwala is an extremely accessible city, benefiting from excellent road and rail links. Getting around the city is really easy. It has a bus system and students can travel on the buses to any place in the city. It's simple to visit places further.
The crackling of a rickshaw often breaks the silence of the night. There are some rickshaws whose engine sound resembles the burst of a Kalashnikov.In Gujranwala , this mode of transport is very popular among all classes, directly or indirectly, thousands of families are dependent on them.I loved to discover new facts about cultures of differetn cities, i used to ask tactfully about culture and daily life issues. Conversations with rickshaw drivers can be revealing as it gives one an insight into their lives — their hardships, meagre earnings, problems with police and passengers, hopes, patriotism and views on politics.Most rickshaw drivers appear rude. This behaviour is less due to their working conditions — smoke, noise, traffic jams, economic pressures
There are several colleges affiliated with the University of the Punjab which also operates a main campus offering courses such as LLB, BCom, MCom, and MBA.
- Gift University Another higher education institute is the GIFT University which also offer business courses. The University offers a wide variety of graduate and undergraduate programs in the major professional fields including Business Administration, Accounting & Finance, Computer Science, Textile & Fashion Design, and English Language & Literature. The University fosters extensive links with business organizations like Gujranwala Chamber Of Commerce and Gujranwala Business Center i personally impressed by GIFT's effort to lift business activities in gujranwala and exploring latent talent. Business competition plan was the best example of its contributions, with out khurram fani, professor of GIFT , it was not feasable for us, and after that they helped us in utensils cluster research, we had attended lots of seminar and workshops in GIFT and it played a major role in our training. GIFT courses are designed to meet the needs of the sectors of gujranwala. The University also has a highly-effective careers service, which helps the students in getting internships and seeking jobs with reputed organizations. The University was established in July 2002 and gained its charter from the Government of Punjab in June 2004. Within a short span of time the University has made remarkable progress and is today established as one of the frontline universities in Pakistan. It is amongst the elite universities which enjoy the highest academic rank "W" awarded by the Higher Education Commission.
- PAC The Professionals´ Academy of Commerce PAC is an approved accountancy education provider of various National and International Professional Bodies. PAC is a name to reckon with in accountancy education circles across the gujranwala. It is not only serving the maximum number of students of commerce but also has best results.
- Rachna University The Rachna College of Engineering & Technology, Gujranwala campus is spread over an area of about 25 acres, surrounded by a canal on the south and lush agricultural land. we visited in early days of my joining, it was miles away from gujranwala city. university's priniciple Rana Jabbar looked very professional, forceful person and he was very enthusiastic about thier student's progress. we conversated about university's achievement and we rated them in A class category.
Other colleges include Elite College of Commerce, National college of Science, Superior College of Science, Government College for boys, Government College for girls, Government Islamia college, Workers Welfare School & College and Crescent College of Science. Quaid-e-Azam Divisional Public College is the biggest institution in the District. It has its own cricket oval and numerous buildings and is currently run by semi-Government and Board of Trustees
- JINNAH LIBRARY jinnah libray is located at upper storey of trust plaza and its serving a great job to citizen of gujranwala.they are cultivating a good habit in citizen. i go to library regularly after office, and i also think If the factors are favourable and reading is initiated, the experience is found to be so useful and pleasant that many people become habitual readers.lots of students can be seen to prepared thier study for CSS, PCS, Pms and other competetion exams.in this way library puting its tremandous efforts to build up city's litracy.
- Rockers Hangout started by a young man, in setllite Town located in basement of green plaza near china bakers.It is a wonderful and brave initiative from long hair brat. hangout club provides an umatched , state of the art gaming plat form , so you can experiance the highest level of PC gaming. hang out club provide maximum quality and pwer to releaze each game's true potential. we explored this club during leisure business research from smeda and we shocked and pleasantly surprised to see this type of business in Gujranwala. The owner of that club told us, He is going to start couple of new business in this market served youngster. who is desperately want a exciting place in Gujranwala Vicinity. palying gaming in this club is quit a cool experiance for me. He showed me his new effort in form of Sheesha Club where youngster can enjoy thier quality time.The seating arrangement for one needs to be improved post-haste. For while the capacious couches are popular with the shishah-smoking crowd.
- Gujranwala Business Center
- Boat Point, Peoples Colonypicnic on river side is wonder ful idea in vacations,where yummy chilled mango party take place in your treat,eating out at river side always a fun experiance and one more thing to be noted, summer is perfect time to enjoy watermelon,One piece of watermelon provides good amounts of vitamin. when you go at the picnic spot you are in great surprise.fun plus healthy activity will ramp up your happy memories.Add this place in must-see list.
- OSFAOasis Society of Fine Arts is gaining popularity among youth. OSFA playing a major role to gather and entertain young artists. It gathered the galaxy of artists and talented youth around it. OSFA members enjoy gazal night once in a month, where well-known singers and qawal are invited. OSFA arranged educational and monumental trip occasionally, It is a good community which provides entertainment fearlessly in suffocated environment of Gujranwala.184.108.40.206 03:08, 4 May 2011 (EDT)Zubair raza - Gujranwala Business Center
- Young Business Forum is a platform where young businessmen sit together once in a week. YBF plays a role of business discussion group. It provides different benefits to its participants i.e arrange lecture and seminars, training session, solutions of industrial problems, get-to-gather ,entertainment, sharing business experience, liaison and bridging between businesses. Young business forum membership is totally free, if any person related to business and interested in this field want to join this community can call chairman Khalid Iqbal from Paklite or Zubair RAza from Gujranwala Business Center Trust Plaza, Gujranwala.
- Aslam Qureshi"s Private Library Aslam Qureshi's library is a library under the care of private ownership of Aslam Qureshi. He is very polite and dedicated person. As compared to a public library he has vast collection of books on particular subjects sucha as history and culture. he established for the use of students and researchers.
Whenever we visited his library he greeted us warmly, escorted us to his book shelves, briefed about new books and libraries, discussed authors and history and in the end my favorite part of every visit which attracts and provoke me to visit his place , Hi-tea , full of taste , colored nimko, hot jalaibi and smosas, dahi baray and hot tea. Any one can go his place and borrow books.
- Gujranwala Literary Circle GLC is a Adbi mehfil held at arts council and other places. Its a wonderful organization which entertains students, cultural-oriented citizen and literature loving people in Gujranwala. it has organized a library , full of literature, poetry related books. it also helps CSS-PMS Students. GLC arranges mushaira, Adabi Mehfil, and debating competition. GLC arranged several programs in which many famous writers and poet has been invited.Gujranwala Literacy Circle promote writing and poetry in Gujranwala. It helps those people who fond of writing and want to publish writing. GLC is a good place where one can enjoy culture and company of writers. It plays a role of Pak-tea-house for writers and literature loving people.
- Pakistan tehreek-e-Insaaf PTI Team Gujranwala is much interested to freshen up the students environment in Gujranwala. Un-ortodoxily, PTI team Gujranwala has a plan to arrange different activities for young students and youth. Unlike other parties PTI Team Gujrranwala has not bieng establish as a pressure group. It office has been showed as a youth club rather then as apolitical office. PTI_Team arranged Football , Cricket, Vally-boll matches many times. it main focus on sports and healthy youth activities, It helps poor players by providing free sports goods and promote them by media. It also hired a Debating coach who helps and prepared leaders and public-speakers in Gujranwala.
The city has several cinema halls like Rocsy. Catch a movie at any one of the halls all of which are air conditioned and well maintained. The best cinema halls are located in Rocsy and Zinco.
best hall is and second is Kashmir Mehal.
- Pace at Gujranwala is an ideal place for shopping and hang out spot. Pace Shopping mall was inaugrated in November 2007 and got public response better than expected.its is a ultimate shopping mall, you will everything, food,clothes, electronics, movies in one amazing package! One feature of this shopping mall is that people can dine while shopping. Mr. Cod is small fast food outlet which started its operations in Pace. people stuff thier faces with fresh and saucy salad on ground floor.famous clothes outlet are Breeze and focus.
- Satellite Town Market
- Junaid Jimshed Junaid Jamshed has built a name and goodwill in the market as a fashion designer wear outlet for men and women with a unique range of products. Junaid Jamshed's outlet started its operation in satellite gujranwala few years ago but in a short span they captured elite gentry for kurta. it helps people build an elegant image that is in sync with their cultural and social values. I visited at night, when pakistan was playing final with srilanka. they have a rich veriety in kurta. i wanted to buy a white kurta in light wash n wear fabric but they have mostly kurtas in Black party wear. simple cotton kurta in colored striped are speciallity of JJ.
- Model Town Market
- Wapda Town Market
- Bank More Cantt Market
- Butta Plaza
- Rail Bazaar Rail Bazaar is the oldest bazaar of Gujranwala, yet it has coped with the changing times by introducing new trends in business. Today it can be considered as one of the best business centres of Gujranwala.just like any down town or high street transport inside market not supposed to come down. i parked my car outside the sialkoti gate and entered in busiest bazaar og gujranawala. i wanted to buy some fabric for shalwaar qameez and one of my colleague Bilal bhatti refered me for Mahajer Cloth house. but i was baffled to find muhajir cloth house because there were appox 11 mohajir cloth house , new muhajir cloth house, super muhajir cloth house, ZH mujhajir cloth house and bla bla muhjir cloth house. but finally i found a oldest and genuine one. It looks like a small shop from outside view but when you enter inside it is much bigger then expected.Imported veriety of gents suiting is available on upper storey. Prices are pretty high in suiting, and shalwar qameeez fabric also pricey.Rail Bazaar is a good place to look for costume jewellery, and cheap cotton clothes,decoration handi craft, electronics home appliances and every things are there.One more important tip: the narrow sidewalks could be so crowded at certain times of the day, particularly in late afternoon to early evening - another typical case of old urban planning and this kind of streets. Good thing is, pickpockets, which are common in most crowded shopping streets, are very uncommon here (at least I am not aware that it's a problem here).
Gujranwala is not fantastic place for buy books, but i found few shops of books, for english novals and others , old book fair shop at taj center, satellite town martket, pirated eddition are also take place in thier shelve on cheaper prices. It's so cheap! :),There are a few others good bookstores in satellite town market. Just pop into any of them and immerse in them books :)
No trip to Gujranwala can be complete without visiting at least one of its many enticing restaurants.during our research we saw each and every eatery places of gujranwala.fortunately i was appointed for food research again by Smeda in gujranwala after lahore food and restarent research.
Gujranwala is foremost name in kabab & Bar-b-Q, Gujranwala is on G.T road, which can be manipulated properly to give a boost to food industry, People use G.T road for traveling from Islamabad to lahore and vise versa.One of the most unique aspect of this city is bar-b-q ,
- Food Street ' A small food street with name of Liberty Market is also establish in Gujranwala. Renoened restaurant like HOt Grill restaurant, Quick Pizza Hut and Fry Master are providing high services. After Shebaz Tikka Shop it's the busiest food area in Gujranwala.
- Shelton Hotel besides these traditional spots, Shelton Hotel has been providing % different types of cuisine since 1987 in Gujranwala, and also providing banquet and other horteling services.
- Royal Garden In 2002, Royal Garden Hotel started its operations in Gujranwala. This restaurent also provides variety of cuisine aling with restaurantservices.
- Marian Hotel Marian hotel was brought a great change in tradintional and continental cuisine in Oct. 2006, This restaurant also provides the same services as Royal Garden Hotel does but it has created different through its environment which is modern but with a traditional artistic touch.
- Hotel Global Village Hotel Global Village is also a great name in traditional and continental cuisine. It has facilities of restaurant as well as Marriage Hall along with a beautiful Marriage Lawn. Hotel Global Village situated near Rahwali Cantt opposite DC Colony, a famous modern housing colony at G T road N5.
- Fast Junk Food Many small restaurant have also started there operations in Gujranwala in last five years. Among those restaurants famous names are Salva Restaurant, Chanab Rutt, Usmania Restaurant, etc, there are also many fast food outlets in fried chicken such as HFC, AFC and in pizza KIng Pizzaetc, whose branches are spread all over the city.
- Picking Picking is new addition in cuisine market of gujranwala, and other sea food specialist are Sardar Restaurant and Meraj Deen have been serving their chinese stuff to thier loyal customers. their pakistani continental also grabing market share.
- Ghanni kay Pai Ganni kay pai once in a life time u should eat , from across the pakistan, families come to eat here
- Shabaz Tika you 'll find variety of dishes, including grilled foods, Batair, Tikka, Chiray(sparrow), rice dishes, curry, and everyone's favorite, desserts here.we visited this place with Trade development authorities of pakistan's directors,its menu offers a combination of continental food, local cuisine and dessert. The focus being the main entrées on the desi menu; curries, kebabs, barbecue dishes, naans chicken dishes. The upside is the manner in which the waiters dealt with it once the complaint made its way to their very distracted ears: eager to solve the issue at hand, the waiter presented us with a light shade ala napkin. Points down for the lack of elegance but the round went to the house for good service.
- Allah Rakha (at Sialkoti Darwaza) is famous for its chicken karahi & seekh kabab (ground beef grilled on skewers marinated with aromatic herbs and succulent spices), grilled goat chops, and dal fry with fresh cilantro and green peppers.
- Briyani Express is new addition in Gujranwala traditional food, when we started research it was first place where we went. rice was fluffy and tempting blended with saucy chicken. However, its standered has decreased a lot especially in Lahore. There is usually no sitting place and the sometimes the rice do not have enough masala in it and are usually non spicy.
- Jamia Msjid Naqshbandia, 121-B Model Town Gujranwala (Genral buss stand), ☎ +92553841160, . edit
- Badamo ki Sardaiit is a traditional summer drink of punjab which has cool effect on your body. so one golden hotest noon we went to a sardai shop on pasrur road, to beat the heat. it was a different kind of drink shop, in hygine and taste side. drinks in all color was on front shelf of the shop. after visit this place, i bet that this is one of the shop that should take place in our research. the taste was , heavenly falvoured and divinely delicious ,with out pick up a chilled glass of sardai or thandai , no trip is complete widout visit here kind of phrase can be use for this place.they create a attractive environment in which customers can enjoy thier products like alaichi sherbet and marraba.each product gives one aunique taste that never fails to please – that the best part of this shop's magic.
This drink is a very nutritious and very good for every one.
During my Food research , i visited to Sialkoti Gate, i invited by Punjab Ice Cream Parlour, my host was failed to tell me true history of this gate, but its extra-ordinary Ice cream was amazingly delicious, i tasted Heegan Diaz also but this ice creame was too tasty , smooth and creamy, and surprisingly very light in each scoop you'll find yummy feast. blended with the purest ingredients, sweet, luscious mangos create a tropical delight.
i also tried out a chilled bottle of orange soda, that was exotic experiance, i feel i am drinking orange, really it is most exquisite drink in the world.blended with orange juice and soda. this stuff is also available in mango-soda, apple-soda, and lemon soda. Chilled bottle of Dhood soda can be seen on counter of the shop.
Lots of food shops serving fish, samosa, sweets, and tikkay chiray at just few step further to Sialkoti Gate and throw a fun street in middle of the city as well. Sialkoti Gate is a centre of traditional Pakistani food and there was a lot on offer for every taste.he site is surrounded by food shops and places like Anarkali Bazaar lahore and other narrow street bazaar. i visited some chicken charga shops where grilled batair was excellent as was the grilled chicken, Kabab, chicken katakat, fried fish, chicken boti and mutton biryani. The bar-b-Q looked mouth-watering as well but no room to try it.
For those with a sweet tooth, there was much in the dessert section to delight jalaibi, gulab jaman , kheer, icecreame , Someone in our group was having it with a hot gulab jamun and swore it tasted better that way.
Although ambiance is similer with other bazaar of city and portaying chaos and pell mell.
- Chatti Ki Lassi once , on Sunday i went out for breakfast with one of my friend zaheer , who is also outsider, we had garram garram halwa poori from silkot sweet. after heavy greasy breakfast we were ready to search meethi dahi ki lassi but we re failed to discover in area of MODEL TOWN, Satellite town, DC Road and shaheenabad. i concluded this fact that in gujranwala people like to drink chatti ki laasi rather than Meethi lassi. to get approval i asked around 20 people about thier favourite lassi, they came up with answer of chatti ki lassi. i went to my aunt's house and asked for meethi lassi she surprised and said their is shortage in summer of yougurt thats why yougurt is not available during hot summer days , so if yu need chaatti ki lassi i will serve you in couple minutes but no yougert lassi.
Like any other cities of sub-continent, staring at strangers, girls and foreigners is common practice in street and bazaar of Gujranwala. It is not considered rude, but outsiders especially foreigners may not be comfortable about this. A girl should always have a "dupatta" on her head as people start talking to each other about the girl that she has no haya, sharam though its normal to have dupatta as a 'V' shape over your chest in big cities like Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad but here Gujranwala is little conservative city
The city has a vibrant cultural life to which the University and its students make an important contribution. Gujranwala offers a distinctive educational experience, combining the pleasures of living in this beautiful and historic city. Gujranwla's reputation as one of Pakistan's recreational cities is well deserved. The city's vibrant life attracts visitors from all over the country, so whatever time you choose to go out in Gujranwala, it's always liable to be a lively affair.
- Gulshan Iqbal
- Liaqat Bagh
- ... Muhammad Ali Jinnah Park ...*
Do not miss to go to Emin abad a historical and well preserved village with pre partition Hawelis Temples and GuruDawaras