Great Falls is in Virginia, within the United States of America.
For those who want to experience the best of nature in the Washington, DC area, Great Falls Park, including its massive waterfall, is a must-see.
There is no direct public transportation to Great Falls. However, it is located 5.5 miles from the Tysons Corner metro station on the Silver Line of the Washington DC metro system. A taxi from the metro station costs approximately $15.
In Great Falls Park, there are several viewing platforms that provide vantage points overlooking the waterfalls.
Popular activities in the parks include hiking, boating, fishing, picnicking, disc golf, and hunting.
- Great Falls Park, . 7 AM until dark. Very popular for picnics and barbecues. Common activities include hiking, rock climbing, and whitewater rafting. There can be lines into the park on weekends, especially on holidays like Fathers' Day and Labor Day, so plan ahead. The park has several marked trails, including the very popular Billy Goat Trail. $5 per vehicle. edit
- Riverbend Park, 8700 Potomac Hills St, Great Falls, VA 22066 (From Great Falls Park entrance road, turn right on Georgetown Pike, right on River Bend Road, right on Jeffery Road, and right at the park entrance), . Did you get turned away from Great Falls Park on an overcrowded weekend, and need an alternative location for your Fathers' Day barbecue? Head straight to Riverbend Park, Great Falls' best-kept secret, just up the river. Picnics, barbecues, hiking by the Potomac. edit
- Seneca Creek State Park, (Go up Seneca Road until it ends, park in the dirt lot by the roadside), . Sunup to sundown. A must less crowded option compared to Great Falls Park. Walk for miles in the undeveloped forested hills along the Potomac. Free. edit
- Katie's Coffee House, 760 Walker Road, ☎ (703) 759-2759, . edit
- The Old Brouge Irish Pub, 760 Walker Rd, . A Great Falls classic. It's been expanding its menu and you can find all manner of cuisines here, but still the Brogue stays true to Irish roots and its atmosphere as a crowded, noisy pub. There's also a homey dining room in the annex. $$. edit
- Izumi Sushi, 9861 Georgetown Pike, ☎ (703) 759-7788, . edit
- L'Auberge Chez Francois, 332 Springvale Rd, Great Falls, VA 22066, ☎ (703) 759-3800, . A high-end French restaurant. Dress code. 6-course prix-fixe dinner: $70-80. edit
Visit the Old Brogue (see above) for a frosty pint of Guinness.
An average of 7 drownings per year occur in Great Falls Park, most of them alcohol-related. Consumption of alcoholic beverages is illegal within the park.