Grand Forks is a city in northeast North Dakota, a state in the United States of America. With a population of about 52,838 people in 2010 census, it's the third largest urban area in the state. There are another 8,601 people in East Grand Forks on the other side of the Red River in Minnesota. Grand Forks is best known for the disastrous flood of 1997 and the productive nearby farms which grow mostly wheat and sugar beets. Grand Forks sits at the center of the former Lake Agassiz which is why this area is so incredibly flat.
Grand Forks International Airport (IATA: GFK)  is served by Delta Air Lines via Delta Connection flights operated by Pinnacle Airlines and Mesaba Airlines, both on routes to Delta's hub at Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota. Also, Allegiant Air provides nonstop service from Grand Forks to Las Vegas and Phoenix/Mesa twice weekly. Alternatively, you can fly out of the larger airports in Fargo or Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Greyhound  and Jefferson Lines  serve Grand Forks. 450 Kittson Avenue 775-4781.
US Highway 2 runs east-west, and Interstate 29 and US 81 run north-south. Fargo is about an hour south, Winnipeg is two hours north, and Minot is three hours west.
- Empire Builder, 5555 DeMers Avenue (The train station is located on the edge of town.), ☎ +1 701 775-0484. Amtrak's Empire Builder serves Grand Forks once daily in each direction. Eastbound trains arrive at 12:57AM, Westbound trains arrive at 4:52AM. edit
Grand Forks has the best bus system in North Dakota, and it is adequate for most daytime excursions.
- Cities Area Transit, ☎ +1 701 746-2600, . edit
- Red White & Blue Taxi/Shuttle, 2212 Library Circle, ☎ +1 701 746-5008. edit
- Ralph Engelstad Arena, 801 North Columbia Rd, . This has been selected as one of the top 10 sports arenas in the world. It is the home of the University of North Dakota hockey teams (men and women). Attached to it is the Betty Engelstad Arena, home of UND's men basketball and women's basketball and volleyball. edit
- Sports. High school and college sports abound. edit
- Theater. Numerous theaters featuring a wide variety of plays and productions. Lots of entertainment comes to town to play at the Alerus, the Ralph Engelstad Arena and the Chester Fritz. Catch a play at the Firehall theatre (a cute, old renovated fire station) or a musical at the Empire. edit
- Fishing. In the summer, fish in lakes and rivers. In the winter, try ice fishing. edit
- Columbia Mall, Columbia Road and 32nd Ave South, rather small traditional mall given the size of the city.
- Grand Cities Mall, South Washington, Rather large strip mall.
- Grand Forks Marketplace, along 32nd Ave S between 34th Street and I-29. A large collection of strip malls and "big box" stores.
A good place to start looking for restaurants is Downtown — the 100 block of North 3rd Street. There are various coffee shops, pizza places, and other locally owned restaurants in this area. A short walk over the bridge to East Grand Forks is a good followup.
- Sanders 1907 Restaurant, 22 South 3rd Street, ☎ +1 701 746-8970, . 17:00-late, closed Sunday and Monday. Wonderful food, great wine list, excellent service. Live music often on weekends. Call for reservations. Main dishes $20-30. edit
- Deek's Pizza, 512 North Washington Street, ☎ +1 701 772-3335, . edit
- China Garden Restaurant, 2550 32nd Avenue S, ☎ +1 701 772-0660. Sit-down Chinese restaurant. $7-15. edit
- Amazing Grains, 214 Demers Avenue (Downtown by the Sorlie Memorial Bridge.), ☎ +1 701 775-4542, . M-F 9AM-8PM, Sa 9AM-6PM, Su noon-6PM. This natural foods grocery store has a large selection of organic and locally grown food. It also has a bakery and small deli, which sells sandwiches, soup, and smoothies for lunch. (47.925862,-97.029915) edit
- Rhombus Guys, 312 Kittson Avenue, ☎ +1 701 787-7317, . 11AM-2AM. Delicious pizza with a fun atmosphere. $8-$18. edit
- Red Pepper, 1011 University Ave, ☎ +1 701 775-9671, . Home of the Grinder. And amazing tacos. edit
- 'l Bistro, 1000 S 42nd St, ☎ +1 701 792-1960, . Selection of Mediterranean, Italian, and American foods. Live jazz/blues on Thursday nights with 2 for 1 martini and 1/2 price pizza specials. edit
- Fuji. Sushi edit
- In its early years, Grand Forks was a dry town, and East Grand Forks was more than happy to pick up the slack. Yet currently, the best drinking establishments in town can be located in the heart of the Downtown district.
- Best Western Town House, 710 1st Avenue N, ☎ +1 701 746-5411 (fax: +1 701 746-1407), . edit
- Fairfield Inn Grand Forks, 3051 S 34th St., ☎ +1 701 775-7910 (fax: +1 701 775-7910), . edit
- Clarion Inn, 1210 N. 43rd St., ☎ +1 701 772-7131, . edit
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 4051 32nd Avenue S, ☎ +1 701 772-7700, . edit
- Select Inn Grand Forks, 4001 Gateway Drive, ☎ +1 701 795-9960, . edit
- CanadInn, 1000 S 42nd St (Connected to the Alerus Center), ☎ +1 701 772-8404, . Connected to the Alerus Center complex, CanadInn Grand Forks is home to numerous bars/restaurants, an arcade, and the Splasher's of the South Seas water park. edit
- Days Inn Columbia Mall, 3101 South 34th St/I-29, I-29 & 32nd Ave Exit 138, Grand Forks, ND 58201 US, ☎ 1-701-775-0060, . checkin: After 3:00 PM; checkout: Before 11:00 AM. Book a room at Days Inn Columbia Mall hotel near Alerus Center and discover real value. non-smoking Grand Forks, ND, hotel is conveniently located just two miles from the University of North Dakota and five minutes from Grand Forks International Airport. edit
- Winnipeg is two hours north.
- Turtle River State Park is 20 minutes to the west on Highway 2. Year-round recreational activities, including camping, picnicking, fishing and trails for hiking, mountain biking and cross country skiing. Rustic group cabins can also be rented.
- Ronald Reagan Minuteman Missile State Historic Site near Cooperstown, 1.5 hour drive to the southwest. Preserved deactivated Minuteman II ICBM launch facility (topside only) and guided tours of preserved deactivated "Oscar Zero" Launch Control Center that was part of nuclear deterrent attached to Grand Forks AFB during the Cold War.
|Routes through Grand Forks