Goris is a city in Southern Armenia. The city was possibly the first build in a grid layout in Armenia, with a very quaint regional style of stone architecture. Located along a river in a valley surrounded by mountains, Goris is the last major town in Armenia for travelers continuing to Karabakh. It's also quite difficult to get to Kapan or Meghri, and thus Iran without passing through Goris, making this the gateway of the South.
Minibus/van (marshutni) from Yerevan, or a shared taxi is your public transportation option. Renting a car (with or without driver/guides) or taking a private cab is a more flexible, expensive option. Though Goris or Tatev can be crammed into a day trip from Yerevan, it's much better to spend a few nights in the area, and along the way.
Within Goris, it's quite easy to get around on foot.
In town there's a church, a market, the Axel Bakunts Museum and some other minor sites. On the edges of town are some great rock formations which are great for photographers, both from near or far.
- Old Khndzoresk Cave Village (Hin Khndzoresk). A couple villages east of Goris is the village of Khdzoresk, and under it, in a gorge pocked with caves is Old Khndoresk. Until a few decades ago, people lived in those caves still, and this was an active cave village - so be careful who you call a caveman around here! edit
- Tatev Monastery, (30 km southwest of Goris). Not so far from Goris on the map, but a seeming eternity on the bad road is the stunning Monastery of Tatev, on an 850 meter high cliff. All this above a natural land bridge, springs, a cavern in an underground river and you've got yourself an unforgettable place. Even though the bus trip (1 1/2 h, around 2 pm next to the post office in Goris, light blue bus; you can also ask the driver for accommodation in Tatev as he is a local villager) is an adventure in itself, you can try to get to the village Halidzor and use the presumably longest ropeway in the world up to Tatev. You better don't ask taxi drivers for it as they will propose you to take you themselves to Tatev by car. If you will do so, try to catch a four-wheel ATV with Soviet shock absorbers. edit
- Devils Bridge, (on the way from goris to tatev monastery). george, cave, mineral springs and pool, colorfull rocks edit
- Bgheno-Noravank Monastery, (16km south of Goris). A couple of kilometers off the main highway is the little known and less visited monastery of Bgheno Noravank. Easy to miss the turnoff, and just consisting of a couple of chambers, it's a good spot for a break if you're on a long drive. edit
There are one or two restaurant/cafes in town, and a few barbecue joints on the highway on the edge of town.
Cafe Simba (Ankakhutyan street 7) is a nice cafe in the center that aims at parents with children but is almost empty in the evening. Open until 21:30, a menu in English and helpful (Russian-speaking) staff that will even make an allergen-free dish for you. Features big salads and delicious cakes as well as pizzas and sandwidches.
- Viva's Hotel, 65 Syuniq str (main street off highway) (after turning from highway to town just continue straight), ☎ +374 94 23 32 62, . Family-owned guesthouse with patio at back, and restaurant with BBQ outside on street front (best food + culture + conversation in town). Homemade Moldovsky grape wine. Modern, clean, comfortable beds, bright, easy to find, hot water starts immediately, small TV in room. 5 or 6 rooms at this B&B, from 5000 AMD and up per person edit
- Khachik B&B, 13 Davit Bek St., ☎ (+374 284) 21098, (091) 204012, . A B&B that's been a fixture for visitors for more than 15 years. Friendly owners that brew wine in their own winery at home. You can have pre-ordered meals as well; dinner per person is 4000 AMD. Trying the wine is also extra. The hosts can arrange a taxi to go to the cable car to Tatev and wait at Devil's Bridge while you walk down from the monastery, 8000 AMD round trip (10,000 AMD if you want the cab to go all the way to the monastery). AMD 13-32,000. (39.51081,46.33782) edit
- Mirhav, 100 Mashtots Str., ☎ (+374 284) 24612, 24612, 24632, (091) 209083, (010) 284402. Mirhav is a rustic hotel with comfortable rooms, good decor and food. 18-33,000. edit
- Aregak B&B, Goris, Getapnya 4/16, ☎ +(374)93766525, . Lovely B&B close to the centre of Goris, in a seperate apartment to the host. Great breakfasts, tea and coffee. Apartment contains two triple rooms and a double, kitchen, tv, fridge, etc. Host can arrange transport to Tatev or onwards. 5000AMD. edit
- Zanger Hotel, Bakunci, 13, Goris 3201, Armenia. Starts from 7000 AMD per night that includes an amazing breakfast. Dinner and lunch boxes are available upon request (excellent value for money). A taxi transfer to the Tatev monastery cable car can be arranged for as little as 3000 AMD, plus 1000 AMD for each hour the taxi waits for you before returning. Receptionist (and daughter of the family) speaks fluent English. Location might be a little further down the hill than indicated on Google Maps. edit
- Shirinyan Martun, st. Avangard 13 (near the south end of mashtots, bit hard to find, inside courtyard, ask sergey the old taxi driver on the opposite of the gas station), ☎ (+374) 28425280, mob. (+374) 94 052 900. very clean, excellent breakfast edit
- SARO's B&B, 6, 13 str., Tatev village, 3218, Syunik region, Armenia (near the Wings of Tatev, the closest building to the Tatev Monastery), ☎ (+374) 77755417, 055777417. Family-owned guesthouse, excellent breakfast. 5 rooms in 2 houses from 7000 AMD till 35000 AMD. edit
At 11:00 there is a marshrutka to Kapan from the main road next to the post office, which connects to a 14:00 marshrutka to Meghri.
At 10.30, marshrutka/micro van to Stepanakert from the highway, 30mins walk up hill from info office.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!