Goondiwindi is a town in the Darling Downs region of Queensland, Australia. It is the gateway to Queensland as it right on the Queensland / New South Wales border.
Settled in the 1840's by pastoralists, Goondiwindi emerged in the latter half of the 19th century as an important administrative and commercial centre. Goondiwindi's name stems from Aboriginal origin, meaning 'Resting Place of the Birds'.
The town's major rural products include wheat, cotton, beef and wool while the towns major industries include service industries, machinery sales and repairs. Goondiwindi is also home to one of the largest cotton gins in the world and tours are available.
Goondiwindi is situated on the Queensland-New South Wales Border. The border is marked by the McIntyre River, which creates a great scenic backdrop. The Newell Highway also runs through Goondiwindi and is described as the gateway to the Western Downs.
- Customs House Museum
- Botanic Gardens
- Macintyre River - Border Bridge and the “Tree of Knowledge”.
- Gunsynd - A famous race horse, in the Apex Park on banks of the Macintyre River.
- Historic Buildings - Anglican Church and Martha's Cottage.
- There are birds by the thousands most of the year, including Jabiru, Pelicans, Kurrawongs, Top-knot Pigeons, Blue-eyed Honey-eater, Major Mitchell Galahs, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Magpies, Butcher Birds, Lorikeets and the rare Apostle Birds.
- Fishing at the Town Common and Hilton Weir.
- Swimming at the Town Common, Hilton Weir, or else try Little Bondi (a sandy beach just out of town)
- Tracks (Tracks Restaurant), Old Cunningham Highway (At Goondiwindi Motel). Fully Licensed, air conditioned and seating up to 80 guests. edit
- Goondiwindi Motel, Old Cunningham Highway (Opposite the racecourse.), ☎ +61 7 4671 1544 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +61 7 4671 3296), . checkin: 2:00 PM; checkout: 10:00 AM. 32 ground level units on the property, from single rooms to family size. Laundry, tea & coffee facilities, room service, pool, BBQ area, wireless and dial-up internet. Non-smoking rooms. (AAA rated 3½ star) AUS $84 - $125 Single - Family - via online booking. edit