Glenview is a town of some 45,000 people in suburban Cook County, Illinois, part of the Chicagoland area. Once home to the Glenview Naval Air Station, the 1,121-acre facility was turned over to the local government and was redeveloped as The Glen, one of Glenview's prime residential and commercial areas.
Glenview is accessible by PACE, Metra (Milwaukee District/North line), Amtrak (Hiawatha and Empire Builder lines) and the Edens Expressway (I-94).
- The Grove National Historic Landmark, 1421 Milwaukee Ave, ☎ +1 847 299-6096, . M-F 8AM-4:30PM, Sa-Su 9AM-5PM. The Grove was the home of horticulturalist Dr. John Kennicott, who moved with here with his family in 1836, and of his son Robert Kennicott, a naturalist whose explorations helped lead to the Alaska purchase. The Kennicotts' 1856 house is here, as are recreations of a Potowatomi longhouse, a log cabin and a one-room schoolhouse. Nature trails lead through oak forests and wetland pools; an interpretive center features a miniature zoo with fish, amphibians, reptiles and birds. edit
- Kohl Children’s Museum of Greater Chicago, 2100 Patriot Blvd, ☎ +1 847 832-6600, . M 9:30AM-noon, Tu-Sa 9:30AM-5PM, Su noon-5PM (). A "hands-on learning laboratory" for children 0-8. Founded in Wilmette in 1985, it moved to its current location in The Glen in 2005. Children and adults $8.50, seniors (55+) $7.50. edit
- Wagner Farm, 1510 Wagner Rd, ☎ +1 847 657-1506, . M-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 9AM-3PM. A working farm from 1902 until 1997, these 19 acres are now a farm museum demonstrating farm techniques from the 1920s-50s. Features dairy cows, draft horses, poultry etc. Free. edit
- Chicago Harley Davidson
- The Sybaris
- In addition to its extensive Park District, the Village's east and west sides are bordered by the Cook County Forest Preserves . The western Preserves contain the Des Plaines River and a gravel bike path. The eastern Preserves contain the North Branch Chicago River, North Branch Bike Trail (paved) and horse riding trails and stables.
- Hackney's, 1241 Harms Rd; 1514 E Lake Ave, ☎ +1 847 724-5577; +1 847 724-7171, . There are six Hackney's restaurants in Chicagoland, but the original two are both in Glenview--both of which opened as speakeasies in the 1920s. They all feature the Hackneyburger and an old-time neighborhood feel. edit
- Matty's Wayside Inn, 1727 Waukegan Rd, ☎ +1 847 724-1314. edit
- Walker Bros. Original Pancake House, 1615 Waukegan Rd, ☎ +1 847 724-0220, . 6:30AM-9:30PM daily. A breakfast favorite since 1981. The second link in a popular local chain. edit
Glenview House, Grandpa's Place, Meier's Tavern
- Courtyard Chicago Glenview, 1801 Milwaukee Avenue, +1 847 803-2500, Fax: +1 847 803-2520, .
- Fairfield Inn Chicago Glenview, 4514 West Lake Avenue, +1 847 299-1600, Toll-free: +1 877 299-2512, Fax: +1 847 803-9943, .
- Motel 6 Chicago North - Glenview, 1535 Milwaukee Avenue, +1 847 390-7200, Fax: +1 847 390-0845, .
- Staybridge Suites, 2600 Lehigh Avenue, +1 847 657-0002, .
- Wyndham Glenview Suites, 1400 Milwaukee Ave, ☎ +1 847-803-9800, . Near the O'Hare International airport, this full service Glenview hotel offers complimentary wireless Internet access, on-site fitness center, and heated indoor pool and whirlpool. All rooms include a 32" plasma flat-screen TV, a wet bar, microwave, and refrigerator. edit
WikiPedia:Glenview, Cook County, Illinois