Gillingham  is a town on the River Medway in the north of the English county of Kent. Together with its neighbouring towns of Rochester and Chatham it forms a large urban area known as the Medway Towns.
There is also a town of Gillingham in Dorset.
- From London, take the A2 arterial road (32 miles / 51 km).
- From Canterbury, take the A2 and the M2 to Junction 3 for the Rochester exit (32 miles / 51 km, about 40 mins).
Trains are operated by SouthEastern From London Charing Cross (via Dartford) (typical journey time 60 - 65 minutes) and Victoria (typical journey time 45 - 60 minutes). Trains from Ramsgate and Dover also serve Chatham. When buying a rail ticket, make clear that it is Gillingham in Kent that you want (not the one in Dorset).
Local buses are operated by Arriva .
Royal Engineers Museum in Gillingham
- Royal Engineers Museum, Prince Arthur Road, Gillingham, ME4 4UG, +44 1634 822839.  Tues - Fri 9.00am to 5.00pm, Sat - Sun 11.30am - 5.00pm Adult - £6.99 for an Adult ticket that allows you to come back for further visits within a year (children's and concessionary tickets also available). Museum on military engineering and the history of the British Empire. A quite extensive collection that takes about half a day to see. Of most interest to fans of British and military history or civil engineering. The outside collection of tank mounted bridges etc can be seen for free. There is also an extensive series of themed special event weekends, admission to which is included in the cost of the annual ticket.
- Watch Gillingham FC play football .
- Chatham Dry Ski Slope, Alpine Park, Capstone Road, Gillingham. ME7 3JH 01634 827979 .
- The Ice Bowl Gillingham, Ambley Road, Gillingham Business Park, Gillingham, ME8 0PU 01634 388477 
The main shopping area is the pedestrianised part of the High Street between the railway station and the library. This has a mixture of independent and lower end chain shops, and includes a CO-OP supermarket. There is an Aldi supermarket on Duncan Road, near the station.
On Saturdays and Mondays an open air market is held on the High Street. This has various food, clothes and hardware stalls.
Chatham Naval Memorial on the Gillingham Great Lines
Gillingham has a range of places to eat.
- Hollywood Bowl A newly extended lively restaurant located in the high street, an American Hollywood style restaurant beautifully decorated with old photos and a great menu including burgers and ribs. Visit http://www.thehollywoodbowl.co.uk for more details.
- Thai Won Mien Really popular oriental restaurant with a mixture foods including noodles, duck and other oriental staples.
- Spice Court, 56-58 Balmoral Road, ☎ 01634850150, . Indian restaurant opposite the railway station. Good value and quality of food. An award winning up market restaurant. Sunday Buffet for only £8.50 and you can eat as much as you like. Very popular with the locals and beyond. edit
- Beijing Inn. Chinese restaurant just off the High Street. edit
- Ossie's Fish and Chips. On Richmond Road (continuation of James Street) about 1/2 mile north of the High Street. best fish and chips in the area. edit
- Medway Youth Hostel, Capstone Road, Gillingham, ME7 3JE 0870 770 5964 . 40 bed summer hostel about 3 miles from Gillingham, housed in a districtive converted Oast House in a semi-rural setting.
- The King Charles Hotel, Brompton Road, Gillingham, ME7 5QT +44 1634 830 303  Single room £44 per night.
- Premier Travel Inn, Will Adams Way, Gillingham, ME8 6BY 0870 197 7105  Rooms from £56 per night. Chain hotel in a location that may not be convenient if you don't have a car.
- The Balmoral Guesthouse, 57—59 Balmoral Road, ME7 4NT 01634 853 68.  A recently modernised basic but cheap guesthouse across the road from Gillingham station. No meals, but many rooms have a fridge and hob for cooking, Single room £32 per night.