Gillingham is the most northerly town in Dorset on the edge of the Blackmore Vale.
- South West trains from London 2 hours. On the Waterloo to Exeter main line.
- Five minutes from the A303, main route to the West Country from London.
- National Cycle route 25
- Stour Valley Way long distance path
- Compton Abbas Airfield
- Infrequent local buses with very few routes.
- Star Taxis +44 1747 822228.
- T A Taxis +44 1747 821111.
- The nearby National Trust gardens at Stourhead.
- The thatched church in Langham Lane.
- The local museum 
- Ecliffe Mill and the river Stour.
- Carnival processions in October. 
- Ascend Top Gear's favourite, Zig Zag Hill.
- Culver’s Farm Fishery: Tel., Victor Pitman +44 1747 822466. Carp, bream, roach and tench fishing.
- Walk the Stour Valley Way which follows the river Stour from its source at Stourhead to the sea at Christchurch.
- Neal's Yard Remedies Factory and shop  Peacemarsh SP8 4EU. Tel: +44 845 262 3145
- Chester Jefferies Ltd Glove manufacturers, Factory and shop  SP8 4QE +44 1747 822629. Makes a speciality of gloves for the film industry.
One hotel: Stock Hill House  SP8 5NR. Tel: +44 1747 823626
and a selection of B&Bs
- North Lodge B&B  SP8 5NH. Tel: +44 1747 821215.
Leela Fields Holiday, Touring & Camping Park  SP8 4RE. Tel: +44 1747 821221