Geelong  is a city located 70 km south west of Melbourne, Australia, on Corio Bay, part of Port Phillip Bay. Greater Geelong, with just on 210,000 population it is the second-largest city in the state of Victoria.
Geelong is more than just a country town - it is a sophisticated and cosmopolitan city. It has a diverse range of activities for all the family from nearby wineries to an antique carousel for the kids of the magnificent waterfront. Its close proximity, and good transport links, to both the Great Ocean Road (including Torquay, Twelve Apostles etc) and the state's capital Melbourne make Geelong an ideal city to spend a few days. Whether you want to indulge in Australian History at the award winning National Wool Museum or spend you day at an Adventure Park - Geelong has it.
- Geelong and Great Ocean Road Visitor Information Office, Princess Hwy, Little River, toll free 1800 620 888, 5283 1735 (fax 5223 2069). Every day 9AM-5PM. 
- Geelong Visitor Information Centre, 26 Moorabool St (cnr Brougham St), Geelong, toll free 1800 620 888, 5222 2900 (fax 5223 2069). Every day 9AM-5PM. 
Geelong is serviced by Avalon Airport, with Jetstar  operating domestic flights to Sydney and the Gold Coast. The airport is approx 20 minutes out of the CBD, with a shuttle bus operating to the city centre. Air Sharp have a service to Portland.
Avalon Airport also doubles as Melbourne's second airport.
Frequent V/Line  trains run from Southern Cross Station in Melbourne to Geelong and take about an hour. Expect to pay $4 one-way from Southern Cross to Geelong Main Station, or $2 for students or children under 16.
Car/passenger ferries cross the mouth of Port Phillip Bay between Queenscliff on the Bellarine Peninsula and Sorrento on Mornington Peninsula. They depart each terminal on the hour every hour 7AM-6PM every day. From 26 Dec. until end of daylight saving there are also 7PM sailings. Foot passengers adult $8, 5-15 years $6, under 5 years $1, foot passenger’s bicycle $2, tandem $3; passengers with vehicle adult $4, 5-15 years $2, under 5 years $1; vehicle rates vary with season – car up to 5.5m between $38 and $45. 
McHarry’s Buslines  run to Geelong from Queenscliff (30 km) and other Bellarine Peninsula towns.
Metered parking in the city costs $2.60 per hour during weekdays with free parking during weekends and public holidays, and is often time limited.
Geelong has a reasonable bus network operated under the umbrella of Geelong Transit Service. A 2 hour ticket cost 90c concession and $1.80 adult.
Bike hire is available on the waterfront in the afternoons on weekends and school holidays - no reservations are taken. Future rentals has longer term rentals available. There are no other rental options available in Geelong.
- Geelong Waterfront, a working maritime area, incorporate cafes, carousel and botanical gardens.
- Ford discovery centre, Corner of Gheringhap and Brougham, Geelong. Closed Tuesdays, other days 10AM-5PM except Good Friday and Christmas Day. Adults $9, Concession $6, Child $4, Family $25. The centre will close permanently on July 29, 2012.
- National Wool Museum, 26 Moorabool St (cnr Brougham St), Geelong. Every day 9:30AM-5PM except Good Friday and Christmas Day. Allow 90 minutes. Includes a tourist information office. $7:30 adult, $5.90 concession, $3.65 child.
- You Yangs Regional Park is 55 km south-west of Melbourne and 22 km north of Geelong. Access from Princes Freeway is via Little River if coming from Melbourne and Lara if coming from Geelong. Open 8AM-4:30PM year round and from 8AM-6PM on weekends and public holidays during daylight saving. Four main walks traverse the park. The 3.2 km walk to Flinders Peak (348m) takes 90 minutes and gives good views. The longest track is the 3 hour Branding Yard Track. 
Performing Arts Centre, Art Deco Cinema, Botanical Gardens.
- See an Aussie rules football match Simonds Stadium, located on Moorabool Street is the home of the Geelong Cats, the local Australian Football League team. They are somewhat of a local institution. There are about half a dozen home games per year from April to August; the rest of Geelong's home games are played in Melbourne. Expect to pay about $20 for an adult, $12 concession and $5 for a child. Alternately you could catch a local league game on a Saturday afternoon. There are dozens at venues spread around Geelong, and matches are of a very high standard. Most grounds you can walk in free, whilst some have gates, expect to pay no more than $7-8.
- Bellarine Rail Trail starts from near South Geelong Station, and is a 35km cycling track to Queenscliff.
Market Square and Westfield shopping centre
- Riverview Coffee House, 59A Barrabool Road, Belmont, ☎ (03) 52442044. Fantasic cafe right on the edge of the Barwon River. Quoted to be the best hamburgers in town with just as decent coffee to match. Well worth checking out after a leisurely stroll down the Barwon. edit
- La Porchetta Geelong, 29-31 Malop St Geelong VIC 3220, ☎ (03) 5229 7313. edit
- Town and Country Pizza Geelong, 6-8 Eastern Beach Geelong VIC 3220, ☎ (03) 5222 5480. edit
- The Barking Dog, 126 Pakington St Geelong West VIC 3218, ☎ (03) 5229 2889. edit
- Yarra Hotel Geelong, 69 Yarra St Geelong VIC 3220, ☎ (03) 5229 4477. edit
- Mr Hyde, 11 Malop St, ☎ 11 Malop Street Geelong VIC 3220 (03) 5223 1228, . Mr Hyde is a trendy bar and restaurant with a wide variety of spirits and wines. Cocktails $16-22, Pizzas $18 edit
- The Edge, ☎ 6-8 Eastern Beach Geelong VIC 3220 (03) 5222 2666, . edit
- The Carlton Hotel, ☎ 21 Malop St Geelong VIC 3220 (03) 5229 1954, . edit
- The Max Hotel, ☎ 2 Gheringhap St Geelong VIC 3220 (03) 5229 5504, . edit
- Beavs Bar, ☎ 77 Little Malop St Geelong VIC 3220 (03) 5222 3366, . edit
- Lambys, ☎ 66 Brougham St Geelong VIC 3220 (03) 5223 2536, . 9pm-3am, Friday-Sunday. edit
- Aberdeen Motor Inn, 9 Aberdeen Street Newtown, ☎ 03 52212177, . checkin: 2 pm; checkout: 10 am. A well established 36 room motel just 10 minute walk from Geelong CBD $85 - $145. edit
- The Haymarket Boutique Hotel, 244 Moorabool Street (crn Little Myers Street) Geelong, ☎ 613 5221 1174, . checkin: 15.00; checkout: 10.00. The Haymarket is in the style of the small hotels of Europe and America with much charm. Centrally located in the Geelong CBD the Hotel is furnished with French and English antiques, carefully blended with modern accommodation conveniences $155 - $250. edit
- National Hotel Backpackers, 191 Moorabool St, Central Geelong, 5229 1211, 0410 529 935 (email@example.com, fax 5229 0373). From $19. 
- Irish Murphy’s Backpackers, 30 Aberdeen St, Geelong, 5221 4335, (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax 5223 3055). From $19. 
- Gate House On Ryrie, 83 Yarra Street (Crn Ryrie & Yarra Street), ☎ 614 1754 196, . checkin: 11.00AM; checkout: 10.00AM. A Bed and Breakfast offering accommodations with all the grace and charm of bygone days this beautiful home was built in 1897. This B&B is serving ' traditional' continental breakfast and is included in the price, with a selection of fruit, yoghurt, cereals and breads with all the condiments, juices, tea and coffee. $100. (38085973S,144214498E) edit 
Visit the Bellarine Peninsula or the Great Ocean Road.