Gaithersburg is in Montgomery County, Maryland. The former small town and railroad stop has become a connected suburb of Washington, D.C. and a significant city in its own right. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)  headquarters is in Gaithersburg.
As a suburb of a major city (Washington DC) with another major city less than an hour away (Baltimore) getting into Gaithersburg is relatively easy. Flights into Reagan National (DCA), Dulles (IAD), and Baltimore (BWI) are generally inexpensive from major avenues across the USA and world.
The MARC (Maryland Train System) has three stops in Gaithersburg and runs southbound (towards DC) in the morning and northbound (away from DC) in the evening to accommodate those who work in DC and inner suburbs. The Metro  Red Line ends at Shady Grove . Many county  and metro  buses serve the stop and can take you to most areas of Gaithersburg.
From D.C. and the south or west take the Capital Beltway (I-495) to Interstate 270 North. Exits 8, 9, 10, and 11 serve Gaithersburg.
Excellent public transportation by the Ride On  bus system.
- The Downtown Shopping District/Old Town Gaithersburg retains a number of early 20th century "Main Street" style buildings. The old rail station has been converted into a Firehouse Cue restaurant. Train museum (free) with historic displays and small model RR.
- Kentlands a neighborhood in Gaithersburg and a neo-traditional model of new urbanism.
- City Parks, Gaithersburg has 23 parks that include more than 522 acres.
- Downtown Crown, 113 Ellington Blvd, Gaithersburg, MD, . Mixed used community with residential, restaurants, retail, bars and a summer concert from mid June to mid July on Thursdays from 6 to 8PM in a suburban setting. edit
- Agricultural History Farm Park 
- Meadowside Nature Center 
- Montgomery County Airpark 
- Lake Needwood. edit
- Lake Frank. edit
- The Montgomery County Fair, June and July features Maryland farm and livestock displays, rides and carnival attractions.
- Seneca Creek State Park (main entrance on Clopper Road). A 6300-acre historic park featuring hiking/mountain biking trails, a lake where visitors can rent canoes or paddle boats and go fishing, picnic areas, and hunting for deer and other game. Scenes from The Blair Witch Project were filmed within the park boundaries.
- Water Park at Bohrer Park, 512 S Frederick Ave, ☎ 301-258-6445, . edit
- Gaithersburg Book Festival, Gaithersburg City Hall, 31 South Summit Avenue, . Annual Book festival held in May that began in 2010 with free admission and (and free shuttle from Lakeforest Mall) on the grounds of Gaithersburg City Hall in downtown Gaithersburg. The festival features more than 100 nationally known authors and includes authors signing books, writing workshops, cooking demonstrations, children's activities and food trucks selling food. edit
- Gaithersburg Labor Day Parade, downtown Gaithersburg, . Annual Labor Day parade held on Labor Day in downtown Gaithersburg since 1938 with fire trucks, bands, ethnic dance groups, antique cars and giant ballons, Free parking in the Olde Towne garage, located at corner of Olde Towne and South Summit Avenues and a free shuttle bus from Lakeforest Mall free. edit
- Lakeforest Mall, 701 Russell Ave, . Sears, Macy's, J.C. Penney, Lord & Taylor, and more. edit
- Washingtonian Center, 9811 Washingtonian Boulevard, . Target, Barnes & Noble, Pier 1, Dick's Sporting Goods, Kohl's, and more. edit
- Kentlands, . Lowe's, Kmart, USPS, Bally Total Fitness, Whole Foods, Giant, Michael's, Kentlands Theater, and more. edit
- Wonderbook, 15976 Shady Grove Rd, ☎ (301) 977-9166, . Open Mon-Sun 10am-8pm. Good inexpensive used book store with used books, DVD's, video games and CD's for sale and special room of 1$ books for sale. edit
- Famous Dave's Barbecue Restaurant, 917 Quince Orchard Rd, ☎ +1 240-683-0435, . edit
- New Fortune, 16515 South Frederick Avenue (north of I-370, in the Walnut Hill shopping center), ☎ +1 301 548-8886, . Su-Th 11AM-1AM; F-Sa 11AM-2AM; Dim Sum served daily 11AM-3PM. One of the best Chinese restaurants in the Washington area, serving Dim Sum along with delicacies like sea cucumber and abalone. edit
- Red, Hot & Blue, Corner of Crabbs Branch Way (16881) and Shady Grove Rd., ☎ +1 301 948-7333. Memphis Pit Barbecue. edit
- BoneFish Grill, 82 Market Street, ☎ 240 631 2401. A lively Seafood restaurant with amazing food and great service edit
- Buca di Beppo, 122 Kentlands Blvd, ☎ 301-947-7346. Italian, family style restaurant edit
- Pho Nam, 15942 Shady Grove Rd Gaithersburg, MD 20877, ☎ (240) 632-9500. Mon-Sun. 11:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.. Small Vietnamese restaurant with excellent pho. edit
- Neal's Bagels, 12141 Darnestown Road Gaithersburg, MD 20878-2205, ☎ (301) 216-0070. Excellent homemade bagels and all the other good stuff to go with them. edit
- Outta the Way Cafe, tel: +1 301-963-6895,  As the name would suggest, this is way out of the way from downtown Gaithersburg.
- Growler's. A delightful microbrewery located in the heart of Old Towne Gaithersburg. This pub features live entertainment, a dynamic menu and delicious seasonal beer. edit
- Dogfish Head Ale House, 800 West Diamond Ave., Gaithersburg, MD, 20878, ☎ 301-963-4847, . Another jewel of Gaithersburg, this bar is popular with the happy hour crowd from the many local biotechnology companies. It features award-winning beer and a wide and varied menu. edit
- Summerfield Suites, 200 Skidmore Blvd. (Located in the middle of the Maryland Technology Corridor along I-270), ☎ +1 301 527-6000 (Fax: +1 301 527-1800), . $90-$400. edit
- Courtyard Gaithersburg Washingtonian Center, 204 Boardwalk Place, ☎ +1 (301) 527-9000 Fax: +1 (301) 527-9001, . Located lakeside in the upscale Washingtonian Center and Rio Entertainment complex, this brand new 210-room hotel is smoke-free. edit
- Courtyard Marriott-Gaithersburg, 805 Russell Ave., ☎ +1 (301) 670-0008 Fax: +1 (301) 948-4538, . edit
- Extended Stay America, 201 Professional Drive, ☎ +1 (301) 963-3539 Fax: +1 (301) 963-2034, . edit
- Gaithersburg Marriott Washingtonian Center, 9751 Washingtonian Blvd., ☎ +1 (301) 590-0044 Fax: +1 (301) 212-6155, . Located near the I-270 business corridor. This hotel is smoke-free and offers business and meeting facilities. edit
- Motel 6, I-270 South exit #11, North exit #10, 497 Quince Orchard Road, ☎ +1 (301) 977-3311 Fax: +1 (301) 990-1053, . edit
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott, 9715 Washingtonian Blvd., ☎ +1 (301) 987-0900 (fax: +1 (301) 987-0500), . Adjacent to the Washingtonian Rio Center. edit
- Reynolds Bed & Breakfast. In the Derwood area.
- Hilton Washington DC North/Gaithersburg, 620 Perry Parkway, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, ☎ 301-977-8900, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. The Hilton Washington DC North/Gaithersburg is a full-service hotel located in Montgomery County's Technology Corridor. Rather than rent a car, take advantage of complimentary shuttle service within a 5-mile radius of the hotel, or ride the Metro to visit Washington DC attractions. Guests appreciate free Wi-Fi, a fully-equipped fitness center and indoor pool. Enjoy dinner at Rooks Corner restaurant or catch the game at our onsite lounge/bar. edit
|Routes through Gaithersburg
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!