Frederick , the county seat, largest city, and commercial and geographic center of Frederick County, Maryland, is a charming city of about 65,000, dating back to the mid-eighteenth century. It is a major antique center with many shops, eateries, galleries and antique dealers.
From Washington, D.C. and Montgomery County, take Interstate 270 north. Southbound traffic is heavily congested during morning rush hour and Northbound in the evening.
From Baltimore and points east, take Interstate 70 west.
From Hagerstown and points west, take Interstate 70 east.
From Gettysburg and points north, take U.S. Route 15 south.
Once in Frederick, there are public parking garages and street parking in the historic downtown area.
MARC  provides commuter rail service to Frederick Monday through Friday with the Brunswick Line starting at Washington. For trains serving only the Point of Rocks station, there is a bus service for getting into Frederick.
Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK)  is a small, general aviation airport.
Baltimore-Washington International Airport (IATA: BWI), Washington National Airport (IATA: DCA), or Washington Dulles International Airport (IATA: IAD) are the nearest large commercial airports. They are all within 55 minutes driving time of Frederick.
The commuter bus line 991 serves Frederick by stopping at the Monocacy station.
Also, buses by Greyhound offer services to Frederick starting at Baltimore or Washington. Megabus offers service from Washington and Pittsburgh.
TransIT provides bus services inside Frederick.
The following companies provide rent-a-car services:
- AVIS, 5400 Holiday Drive, 301-695-4057
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 5716 Buckeystown Pike, 301-695-8822
The "Mural Bridge" - Made of concrete and painted to look 3D.
- Barbara Fritchie House, 154 West Patrick St, ☎ +1 301 698-8992. Call ahead for hours during which you can visit the interior (which is preserved in the period style when she lived there), as they are not regular. A Civil War era Union patriot and close friend of Francis Scott Key, Barbara Fritchie is perhaps best known for flying the Union flag outside her house as General Stonewall Jackson marched by on the Maryland Campaign. In memory of this event, John Greenleaf Whittier wrote his poem Barbara Frietchie, lines of which Winston Churchill recited by memory during his visit to the city. edit
- National Museum of Civil War Medicine, 48 E Patrick St, . As it is the national museum, it's big, encompassing several locations, as well as a big presence at Antietam National Battlefield. The exhibits demonstrate how medicine was practiced during the Civil War (which was a lesson in patient endurance), as well as track the leaps in the development of medicine during those times. edit
- Rose Hill Manor, 1611 N Market St, ☎ +1 301 600-1650, . A hands-on children's museum with folks in period costume and "rural activities" edit
- Monocacy National Battlefield, 4801 Urbana Pike (Take I-70 south of Frederick and exit Urbana Pike to the park), ☎ 301-662-3515, . daily, 8:30AM-5PM. Site of a summer 1864 Civil War battle between General Jubal Early of the Confederacy and General Lew Wallace of the Union. Free. edit
- Francis Scott Key Monument, Mount Olivet Cemetery, inside its main entrance. edit
- Roger Brooke Taney House, (Located on the right side of the street at 121 South Bentz Street). edit
- Beatty-Cramer Architectural Museum, ☎ 301-668-2086. edit
- Schifferstadt Architectural Museum, 1110 Rosemont Avenue, ☎ 301-663-3885. edit
- The Artists' Gallery, 4 East Church St., ☎ +1 301 696-8187. edit
- Hessian Barracks, 242 South Market St., ☎ +1 301 663-8687. edit
- Baker Park, 121 N. Bentz St. Frederick, MD 21701, . 7:30 am-10:00. Downtown Frederick's 44-acre park features a carillon, band shell, tennis courts, softball and baseball field, Culler Lake, Thomas pool, and numerous playgrounds for children. Park features concerts and children's theater in the summer and numerous outdoor events throughout the year including a Fourth of July celebration that you would be a fool to miss. edit
- Frederick Keys (Harry Grove Stadium), 21 Stadium drive (exit 54 on I-70---then head for the towering lights), ☎ (301) 791-6266, . "A-level minor league baseball team, affiliated with Baltimore Orioles." $5-$11. edit
- Frederick Sportsplex, 1845 Brookfield Ct, Frederick, MD 21701, ☎ (301) 662-6866. edit
- Thomas Pool, Fleming Avenue/Baker Park (Directions starting at Route 15: Take Rosemont Ave. exit to W. 2nd St. Pass stop sign. At light, turn right onto College Avenue. Take first right onto Fleming Avenue. Pool is on the left.). edit
- Maryland Ensemble Theatre, 31 W Patrick Street, Frederick MD 21701, ☎ 301-694-4744, . Frederick's largest producing non-profit theater and voted 'Frederick's Best Theater Group' in Frederick Magazine every year. Offering contemporary and classic Mainstage plays, family theater, acting classes, improv, camps and more. Located in historic downtown Frederick, steps from dozen of restaurants and shops. (39.414395,-77.411808) edit
Frederick is known for a high concentration of antique stores. The majority are located in the historic parts of the city along Patrick St, East St, and along Carrol Creek. There are also a variety of small shops located along Market Street.
- Francis Scott Key Mall, 5500 Buckeystown Pike, Frederick, MD 21703. edit
- Frederick Fairgrounds, 797 E Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701. edit
- Wonder Book and Video, 1306 West Patrick St, ☎ (301) 694-5955, . Open Mon-Sun 10am-10pm. Delightful browsing in this unique collection of used books, sheet music, comics, etc. This store location is one of a few retail locations of Wonder Book which also sells many books online. edit
- Edgeworks Knife and Supply, 200 N Market St, Frederick, MD 21701 (on the corner of Market and 2nd), ☎ 800-520-0321, . 10AM-7PM. Awesome shop with a huge selection of knives, cutlery, darts, bags, flashlights, and more. Brands carried include Victorinox, Wusthof, Chef Works, Benchmade, Spyderco, Chris Reeve, Survive!, William Henry, and a variety of custom knifemakers. The very friendly and knowledgeable staff make everyone feel welcome. edit
- Rock & Roll Graveyard, 115 E. Patrick St., ☎ 301-514-8828, . Outstanding little record store run by an extremely knowledgeable record collector. Good selection in a variety of genres and fair prices. edit
Fast food and national chain restaurants are located to the west along Route 40, known as "the golden mile," south along Route 85, and north of Frederick in the new development on Rt. 26. Smaller, local restaurants are located mainly along Market and Patrick Streets in the center of the historic part of town.
- Airways Inn of Frederick, 310 Aviation Way (Located on Aviation Way at The Frederick Municipal. Airport), ☎ 301-228-2100. 7 days a week. Famous for their fresh seafood and delicious Maryland Crab Soup edit
- AKA Friscos, 4632 Wedgewood Blvd Frederick, MD 21703, ☎ 301-698-0018. Great sandwiches and potatoes. The specialty is the 'exploded potatoes.' $5-$10. edit
- Brewer's Alley, 124 N. Market St, ☎ 301-631-0089. Typical high quality brewery food. They have a brick oven so pizzas and baked dishes are really good. It's not on the menu, but you can substitute sweet potato fries for regular fries. $7-$20. edit
- Family Meal, 880 N East St, ☎ 301-378-2895, . 7AM-10PM. Upscale diner-style restaurant from Bryan Voltaggio of VOLT, also in Frederick. Relaxed atmosphere, delicious food, and great cocktails. Try the fried chicken and biscuits, the duck-fat fries with house-made dipping sauces, and the adult milkshakes. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. edit
- Lucky Corner Vietnamese Restaurant, 700 N Market St, on the corner of Market and 7th Street, ☎ 301-624-1005, . 11AM-9PM. Delicious, authentic Vietnamese food. Their pho will knock your socks off! Lunch, dinner, and carry-out. edit
- The Orchard, 45 Market St. N, ☎ 301-663-4912. Mostly natural and organic foods. Good selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes. $12-$20. edit
- Sabor de Cuba, 9 E Patrick St, ☎ 301- 663-1036, . Friendly service, delicious Cuban food, and the best margaritas in Frederick. You can't go wrong with this menu. edit
- Viet Gourmet, 1812 Rosemont Ave, ☎ 301-418-6455, . 10:30AM-9:30PM. Authentic and great Vietnamese restaurant. Serving over 100 Vietnamese dishes and 20 noodle soups for dine-in or carryout customers. They also feature daily lunch specials as well as a wine and beer menu. edit
- VOLT Restaurant, 228 N Market St Frederick, MD 21701, ☎ 301-696-8658, . "Top Chef" finalist Bryan Voltaggio's restaurant. Modern, local, seasonal, very high end food. Reservations are needed, well in advance for the Chef's tasting menu and Table 21 (A 21 course, 3 hour, food event or a lifetime). Lunch tasting menu is highly recommended. $25-$121. edit
- Cafe Bueno, 503 N. East Street, ☎ 301-620-8858, . Mo-Fri 7AM-7PM, Sat 8AM-4PM. A very small but homey restaurant serving among the best and most authentic Mexican cuisine in the region. They also serve American classics and have a breakfast menu. In a strip mall on the eastern side of downtown with free parking. $8-18. edit
- Pop Shop, 237 North Market Street, ☎ 240-575-9070, . A neat little shop that sells all sorts of vintage sodas, in addition to being an ice cream parlor (it's homemade, and very tasty) and hot dog stand. $. edit
- Pretzel and Pizza Creations, 210 North Market Street, ☎ 301-694-9299, . Homemade pretzels and pizza made out of pretzel dough are the specialties here, but they also serve tons of other lunch and snack items. A little pricey, but the pizza is worth it. Open until 3AM on weekends for the bar-hopping crowd. $$. edit
- The Tasting Room, 101 N. Market Street, ☎ 240-379-7772, . Fine dining located at the corner of Market Street and Church Street. $$$. edit
- Brewer's Alley, 124 N. Market St, ☎ 301-631-0089. Local brewery with a nice range of beers. The Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout are very good. Cask aged beers are often available. edit
- Bushwaller's, 209 North Market St, ☎ 301-695-6988. Irish pub. edit
- Comfort Inn – Frederick, 7300 Executive Way, ☎ 301-668-7272, . edit
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott, 5220 Westview Dr, ☎ +1 301 631-2000. edit
- Hampton Inn Frederick, 5311 Buckeystown Pike, ☎ +1 301 698-2500. edit
- MainStay Suites – Frederick, 7310 Executive Way, ☎ 301-668-4600, . edit
- Mirage Cafe and Grill, 243 N. Market St, ☎ 301-631-9247. edit
- Holiday Inn Frederick, 5400 Holiday Drive, ☎ (301) 694-7500. edit
- Holiday Inn Express Frederick, 5579 Spectrum Drive, ☎ (301) 695-2881. edit
- Courtyard Frederick, 5225 Westview Drive, ☎ +1 301 631-9030, . edit
- Best Western Historic Frederick, 420 Prospect Boulevard, ☎ +1 301 695-6200, . edit
- Quality Inn, 999 West Patrick St, ☎ +1 301 662-5141, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12PM. edit
- Econo Lodge, 6021 Francis Scott Key Drive, ☎ +1 301 698-0555, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. edit
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!