Fort Walton Beach is a small city in the Emerald Coast region of Florida, forty miles east of Pensacola.
- Northwest Florida Regional Airport (IATA: VPS) (ICAO: KVPS)  serves Fort Walton Beach and nearby Valparaiso. American Eagle, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, Continental Express, and Continental Connection serve the airport.
US 98 connects Fort Walton Beach with Pensacola and Panama City. It also connects with nearby Destin. Florida 85 connects the area with I-10.
Fort Walton Beach has two main arterials. The Miracle Strip Parkway (US 98) travels along the seacoast and through Eglin Air Force Base, and the Eglin Parkway (Florida SR 85) links the city with Okaloosa Regional Airport.
- The Gulfarium , 1010 Miracle Strip Parkway, 850-243-9046 or 800-247-8575. Admissions are open from 9:00am until 4:00pm. Park closes at 6:00pm.
- Indian Temple Mound and Museum, 139 Miracle Strip Pkwy SE. Aug-May M-F 10AM-4:30PM; Jun-Jul M-Sa 10AM-4:30PM, Su noon-4:30PM.
- Air Armament Museum, 100 Museum Drive, Eglin Air Force Base, (850) 882-4062, . M-Sa 9:30AM-4:30PM.
- Visit the beach.
- Billy Bowlegs Festival, pirate themed street party early each June.
- Antique stores and shops along Highway 98 / Miracle Strip Parkway across from the Indian Temple Mound.
Ft. Walton Beach has many restaurants, including:
- Anglers by the base of the pier on Okaloosa Island
- The Breakfast Club
- Fish Lipz  203 Brooks St (off Highway 98 by the bridge to Okaloosa Island) Waterfront views, good food and drink. Often have small live bands in the evenings. Tel. (850) 226-7123
- Manhattan Pizza
- Taj Mahal 217 Miracle Strip Parkway Southwest. Indian food. The tasty food and entertaining belly-dancer compensate for rather indifferent and amateurish wait staff. Tel. (850) 243-1648
- Fish Lipz, listed at "Eat" above
- America's Best Inn, 100 S.W. Miracle Strip Pkwy., +1 850 244-0121, Fax: +1 850 244-1094, .
- Best Western Ft. Walton Beachfront Hotel, 380 Santa Rosa Boulevard, +1 850 243-9444, Toll-free: +1 877 243-9444, Fax: +1 850 243-5445, .
- Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort, 573 Santa Rosa Blvd., +1 850 244-8686, .
- Econo Lodge
- Hampton Inn
- Radisson Inn
- The Ramada Plaza Beach Resort, 1500 Miracle Strip Parkway, SE 1-850-243-9161 .
- Super 8 Miracle Strip Parkway. Some rooms with jacuzzi tubs.
- Destin is just to the east on the other side of Okaloosa Island.
- Pensacola is about half an hour to the west.
|Routes through Fort Walton Beach
wts:Category:Fort Walton Beach
Wikipedia:Fort Walton Beach, Florida
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!