Feodosiya is a beautiful, quaint little resort town on the Black Sea coast, in the Crimea Autonomous Region of Ukraine, Eastern Europe.
A typical house in the old town
As a highly sought-after getaway spot for Russian-speaking vacationers, Feodosiya's population swells in the late spring, summer, and early fall months.
Feodosiya is 100km to the east of Simferopol. From the outskirts it looks like an urban industrial disaster but once past the factories it has a very nice old town. Very similar to Odessa in architecture but on a smaller scale.
There are many buses that leave from the train station in Simferopol going to Feodosiya, almost every hour.
You can also take the train.
That assumes that you want to go there. There probably isn't a more run-down town anywhere else on the Black Sea.
Best thing to do is to go to anywhere else - very fast!
It's not that big of a city, so mostly you can walk or take the city buses.
The path to the abandoned Jewish cemetery
- There is an old Genoan fortress in the city.
- Stamboli's palace is the former palace of a very wealthy tobacco merchant.
- The Armenian church is worth seeing.
- Most of the old town, much like the city of Odessa is filled with what used to be very large wealthy houses that have fallen into a state of total decay. You may enjoy a long walk through the city just observing the stray cats, the broad streets over grown with trees and vines or the abandoned houses.
- In the hills on the east side of the city there is an abandoned Jewish cemetery which, though difficult to find is very interesting to see. On the way up to the cemetery you'll pass through some very poor (but safe and beautiful) neighborhoods. As you near the cemetery you'll notice that some of the houses have included the former headstones from the cemetery as decorations.
- The city center has some great communist statues.
- Feodosia Apartment, Revolutsionnaya 16/7, ☎ +38 097 375 1552 (). The recently renovated Feodosia Apartment is situated in a peaceful area close to the beach&town center. Feodosia Apartment's convenient location attracts budget hotel and youth hostel guests, individual travelers as well as business visitors. edit
Also worth a visit is the nearby seaside enclave of Koktebel.