Enna is a city in central Sicily, Italy. It's about 1000m above sea level, so be prepared for the chill winds, even in the middle of a scorching Sicilian summer.
Frequent buses run to Palermo (the main cities crossed are Gela, Caltagirone and Piazza Armerina), and Catania (more than 20 times a day), and less frequently to the nearby towns and to many other destinations in all Sicily. Although it's very close there are only 2 buses or so a day to Caltanissetta. The main bus station is 10 minutes walk from the center of Enna Alta, but more buses run from Enna Bassa (146 bus lines are available here), because university is placed there. However, these 2 terminal buses are strongly connected, and you may get one from the other thanks to many buses which run every few minutes. The local bus company SAIS Autolinee S.p.A, which runs all urban and intercity buses in Enna, also provides some buses a week to get Rome, Tuscany, or other regions in central Italy and in southern Europe.
Several trains a day run to Palermo, Catania, Caltanissetta and Agrigento. However, beware, the railway staion is 5km away well below the Enna, with only hourly buses into the centre.
From Palermo, Siracusa and Aeolian Islands with Amphibious aircrafts you can reach Enna Water Aerodrome at the Nicoletti Lake.
The nearest airport is in Catania (CTA) at 82km.
Palermo airport (PMO) is at 162km.
Ragusa/Comiso Airport (CIY) is a new airport and should open in Spring 2009 at 107km.
There are 6 urban bus lines for getting around the city. One is between western and eastern parts of Enna Alta, crossing the city centre, other 4 are between Enna Alta and Enna Bassa, the last one is to Pergusa. City centre is not so large, and you can easy go on foot, so that you will better appreciate the beauties of the old, charming streets which compose it. Not many tourists use the car to get around, because traffic is heavy and finding a free parking may be hard during hours when offices and shops close.
- Wander the attractive streets of the old town, especially Via Roma.
- Visit the excellent Castle (Castello di Lombardia) which towers over the town and offers panoramic views over most of central Sicily. The nearby Rocca di Cerere offers more views, including back to the castle itself.Virtual Tour Castello di Lombardia
- Visit some of the interesting museums around the old town.
- Go for a walk in the smart Belvedere Francesco Crispi, a beautiful square forbidden for cars with a preciouse fountain in the center, from where you can enjoy a large panoramic view.
- Reach the top of Pisana Towrer inside Lombardy Castle to admire the wonderful views on two thirds of Sicily, running from Ionio Sea in the east, Sicily Channel in the south, and green, happy hills in north and west.
- Go to Monte quarter, nearby the municipal stadium (the exact street is Via dello Stadio) to see the unique sunset which makes Enna famouse in this region; you will remain fascinated by multicolored sky and the red sun when it sets over vast hilly areas.
- Have a coffee or an ice-cream at Café Marro, an elegant café, recently re-opened, which overlooks both Piazza Vittorio Emanuele and the Belvedere, the main squares in Enna: have a sit in the outside space, that is covered by glasses creating a very relaxing atmosphere.
ARISTON (restaurant) into a gallery in the historic centre of the city 20 meter from Belvedere Marconi
Tipycal sicilian food and very good pizza (very friendly people) tel & fax:+39 0935 26038 (closed on Sunday)
- Have a relaxing coffee in in the cafe overlooking Piazza Vittorio Emanuele.
There are two hotels in Enna
- Grande Albergo Sicilia (Grande Hotel Sicilia), Piazza Napoleone Colajanni, 7 94100 Enna, ☎ +39(0)935 500850 (email@example.com, fax: +39(0)935 500488), . Hotel in center of town, rooms at back have good views over the town and countryside. TV, Fridge, fair sized bathroom, air-conditioning, eating, continental breakfast buffet, Internet WiFi ADSL in room. single: €60 (inc breakfast) Oct '07. (double:90(inc breakfast),) edit
- Hotel Bristol, Piazza Ghisleri 13. edit
Others are available in the nearby lakeside resort of Pergusa.
- Villa Casablanca (B&B Enna), . The B&B Villa Casablanca is set in Enna-Pergusa, near the lake, capital of the province. Elegance and hospitality join the tranquility of the natural reserve of Pergusa and the charm of the lake, an ideal place for pleasant walks by bike or on horseback, jogging, picnics and relaxing moments. edit
Frequent buses run to the lakeside resort of Pergusa, which has several hotels.