Englewood is a census-designated place partly in Charlotte County and partly in Sarasota County, in Southwest Florida.
The Nichols brothers founded Englewood in 1896 as a "grove town," where residents were to buy ten acres for lemon groves in addition to their residential lots. Back-to-back winters with hard freezes scuttled that idea.
In the 1920s the governor of Florida announced that he would personally see to it that the Tamiami Trail (now part of US 41) would loop through Englewood. The great depression and the collapse of the land boom derailed these grand plans. Venice and Port Charlotte grew while Englewood remained a rural village.
Englewood is accessible from I-75 from exits 191 (River Rd) and 193 (Jacaranda Blvd).
Englewood is a 45 minute drive south from Sarasota/Bradenton Regional Airport (SRQ), a 75 minute drive north from Fort Myers Regional Airport (RSW), and a 90 minute drive south of Tampa International Airport (TPA).
Private pilots may fly into Buchan Airport (X36) two miles north of Olde Englewood. Runway 12/30 is a 2,040' grass runway. There are no lights or tower at the airport. Arrange for pick up by a local car rental agency.
Renting a car is recommended as public transportation is limited.
Sarasota County Area Transit (SCAT) Route 16 provides hourly service Monday through Saturday between Englewood and the historic Venice Train Depot.
Charlotte County has no scheduled public transit.
Taxi and airport transfer service is available from local providers.
- Cookie House, 2300 Placida Rd, 34224 (At Cedar Point Environmental Park), . Dawn to Dusk. Built in the early 1930's, the “Cookie House” earned its name from the unique pine log cross sections embedded in its concrete walls. It was a building/lab at the Bass Biological Laboratory (1931-1944). Free. edit
- Canopy Road, Manasota Key (From Beach Rd (south) to Manasota Beach Rd (north)). With it's over-arching trees, this two lane scenic drive runs the length of Manasota Key offering access to Englewood's beaches. edit
- Emile Gauguin's Grave Site (Lemon Bay Cemetery), 2nd Ave and FL 776, 34223. Emile Gauguin, the oldest son of renowned artist Paul Gauguin, moved to Englewood with his wife after World War II, where they lived the rest of their days. Look for the pink headstone. edit
- Englewood Beach (At Chadwick Park), 2100 N Beach Rd, 34223 (FL 776 to Beach Rd), ☎ 941-681-3742, . The most commercially developed of Englewood's beaches with restaurants, shops and water sports rentals nearby. Parking: $0.75/hr. edit
- Stump Pass Beach State Park, 900 Gulf Blvd, 34223 (South end of Manasota Key), ☎ 941-964-0375, . 8am to Dusk. Limited parking, quiet beach with a variety of wildlife. Recommended for shelling and sunsets. Parking: $3. edit
- Blind Pass Beach (aka Middle Beach), 6725 Manasota Key Rd, 34223, . 8am to Midnight. Gulf to bay park, 3,000 feet of beach frontage. Hiking trail, fishing dock. Adjacent to the Hermitage Artist Retreat (private). Recommended for finding sharks teeth. Parking: free. edit
- Manasota Beach, 8570 Manasota Key Rd, 34223, . 6am to Midnight. Gulf to bay park. Boat ramp, dock and boardwalk on bay. Quiet beach. Parking: free. edit
Lemon Bay Park, Cherokee Park, Indian Mounds Park, Bay Heights Park, Cedar Point Environmental Park, Don Pedro Island State Park
- Take in a play or concert at Lemon Bay Playhouse on Historic Dearborn St.
Englewood is enclosed on three sides by the Gulf of Mexico and the larger cities of Venice and Port Charlotte, which both have more shopping and action, but the beaches aren't as nice. Englewood has the necessities (Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Publix, Bealls.
Lots of Florida trinket stores on Beach Road.
Also, historic Dearborn street has galleries, shops and restaurants.
- Cafe 776, Route 776, Englewood, FL. Absolutely the best fish and chips ever. Huge servings making the "plate charge" for an extra plate worth every penny. You'll still take home leftovers. edit
- Snook's Bayside Bar & Grill, 779 W Wentworth St, 34223 (At Royal Palm Marina), ☎ 941-475-3712, . 11am to 8pm. Enclosed patio and open-air dining. Waterfront on Lemon Bay. Casual, pet friendly. $$. edit
- Beach Road Wine Bar and Bistro, 1350 Beach Rd, 34223, ☎ 941-474-9500. 11am to 9pm. Indoor-outdoor dining. Waterfront on Redfish Cove on Lemon Bay. Pet friendly outdoors. Casual but comfortable if dressed up. $$. edit
- Flounder's Restaurant and Tiki Bar, 1975 Beach Rd, 34223, ☎ 941-460-8280, . 10:30am to Midnight. Indoor, enclosed patio and open-air dining adjacent to Englewood Beach. Waterfront on a channel to Lemon Bay. Casual, pets OK outdoors. $$. edit
- White Elephant Pub, 1855 Gulf Blvd, 34223, ☎ 941-475-6801. Lunch - Late. Indoor-outdoor dining adjacent to Englewood Beach. Waterfront on Lemon Bay adjacent to Chadwick Cove Marina. Casual, pets OK outside. $$. edit
- Landy's Restaurant, 1400 Aqua View Ln, 34223, ☎ 941-474-4292, . 11am to 9pm. Indoor with outdoor seating on a channel to Redfish Cove on Lemon Bay. Casual but comfortable if dressed up. $-$$. edit
- Farlow's On the Water, 2080 S McCall Rd, 34224, ☎ 941-474-5343, . 11am to 9pm+. Indoor, covered patio and open-air dining. Waterfront on Ainger Creek. Pets OK outdoors. Casual, but dress up anyway. $$-$$$. edit
- Blue Lagoon (new Blue Lagoon), 2000 Oyster Creek Dr, 34224, ☎ 941-475-1030, . 3pm to 8pm. Indoor-outdoor dining. Waterfront on Oyster Creek. $$-$$$. edit
- Stump Pass Grill and Tiki Bar, 260 Maryland Ave, 34224 (Intercoastal Waterway Marker 17A), ☎ 941-697-3600, . 11am to Dinner. Open-air Tiki bar waterfront on Lemon Bay at Stump Pass. Pets OK. Casual. $$. (26.9058333 N,82.3282667 W) edit
Englewood isn't big on hotel chains, but it offers a variety of small accommodations and vacation rentals.
- Englewood Bay Motel and Apartments, 69 W Bay St, 34223, ☎ 941-475-1769, . Englewood Bay Motel and Apartments is a family run 13-unit lodging with a mix of motel, cottage and condo accommodations, all with full kitchens. Wi-Fi is available. Two miles to public beach. Call for reservations. $65-140, depending on accomodation and season. edit
- Buchan's Landing Resort, 599 W Dearborn St, 34223 (Intercoastal Waterway Marker 28), ☎ 941-474-5100 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkout: 11:00 am. Buchan's Landing Resort is a family run lodging on Lemon Bay comprising eight cottages/homes and five motel-style efficiencies. Cottages have kitchen facilities. Wi-Fi is available. Each unit includes a boat slip. One nautical mile east is Blind Pass park and beach on Manasota Key. Four miles (on land) to Englewood Beach. $95/day-$1,495/week depending on accommodation and season. edit
- Englewood Lighthouse Resort, 784 S McCall Rd, 34223, ☎ 941-270-1254, . Englewood Lighthouse Resort is a family run lodging on Lemon Bay comprising six cottages and a house, all with full kitchens. Wi-Fi is available but spotty. Heated pool. Two miles to Englewood Beach. Online booking. $60-250, depending on accomodation and season. edit
- Paradise Cove at Lemon Bay (a Middleton Property), 664 S McCall Rd, 34223, ☎ 502-417-4118, . Paradise Cove at Lemon Bay is a managed property consisting of rooms and suites. Suites have full kitchens. Wi-Fi is available. Two miles to Englewood Beach. Call for reservations. $700-925/week depending on accommodation and season. edit
- Emerald Palms Resort and Apartments, 540 S McCall Rd, 34223, ☎ 941-475-0100 (email@example.com). Emerald Palms Resort and Apartments offers one and two bedroom units with carports. Little information is available on the Internet, but the property is tidy and appears well maintained. Two miles to Englewood Beach. Call for reservations. $??. edit
- Weston's WannaB Inn, 985 Gulf Blvd, 34223 (south from Englewood Beach), ☎ 941-474-3431, . Beach and bayfront motel near Stump Pass Beach State Park. Boat slips (up to 24') available for rental. $$$. (26.912463,-82.352883) edit
- Beach Croft Motel, 2230 N Beach Rd, 34223 (at Englewood Beach), ☎ 941-474-6509, . checkin: 1:00 pm; checkout: 10:30 am. Beachfront motel adjacent to Englewood Beach. Near restaurants and watersports. Strict policy prohibiting visitors. $83-113 (seasonal). (26.926960,-82.362008) edit
- Manasota Beach Club, 7660 Manasota Key Rd, 34223 (north on Manasota Key), ☎ 941-474-2614, . Twenty-five acre resort with frontage on Lemon Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. Heated pool, tennis, croquet, fitness room. Owner is an avid kayaker. The works of artist in residence, Jacobina Trump, adorn the walls. Seasonal restaurant open to guests and club members. Limited free Wi-Fi available $$$-$$$$. (26.987664,-82.399720) edit
- Pearl Beach Inn, 7990 Manasota Key Rd, 34223 (north on Manasota Key), ☎ 941-473-2361, . checkin: 3:00 pm; checkout: 11:00 am. Rooms and suites on the Gulf of Mexico. Private beach, pet friendly, free Wi-Fi. Online reservations. $175-349 (seasonal). (26.996617,-82.404746) edit
- Seafarer Beach Resort, 8520 Manasota Key Rd, 34223 (near Manasota Beach), ☎ 941-474-4388, . checkin: 3:00 pm; checkout: 10:00 am.. Efficiencies and apartments on the Gulf of Mexico. All units have kitchens. Heated pool, small dock on Lemon Bay, free Wi-Fi. $120-265 (seasonal). (27.009218,-82.411306) edit