Ely is in eastern Nevada near the Utah border at the intersection of US Highways 50, 93, and 6.
The section of US Highway 50 heading west out of Ely is known as "The Loneliest Road in America." Central Nevada is filled with desert valleys between sets of mountain ridges. As Highway 50 crosses each of these gently curved valleys in a perfectly straight course, you can often see 20 or 30 miles of completely empty road ahead of you. You just must make sure that you have a car in good working condition as there are basically no services for more than 50 miles at most times and summer temperatures can easily reach 110, and winter temperatures getting well below zero.
- Nevada Northern Railway Museum, intersection of 11th Street and Avenue A in East Ely, 775-289-2085, Toll-free: 866-407-8326, Fax: (775) 289-6284, . Museum operating historic trains. Two train routes are run, each of which takes an hour and forty five minutes. Call to listen to recorded schedule information — or visit their website. Museum admission: Adults $4, Children $2. Train ride: Adults $23, Children $15.
- Ely Renaissance Society,Take the "Art Walk" sponsored by the Ely Renaissance Society [] and enjoy over twenty murals and sculptures by world famous artists. Ride the train to the Renaissance Village and step back in time as you visit the shot gun houses decorated to represent the diverse ethnic groups which came to Ely to work, and live. Participate in workshops and retreats or the yearly 4th of July activities! Visit the Farmer's Market or the Holiday Village which are all yearly activities hosted at the Ely Renaissance Village.Contact us for more information at www.elyrenaissance.com
Photographers will want to take a stroll downtown for shots of a pretty little park, old buildings and signage, and the magnificent neon prospector on the Hotel Nevada's Nevada Club.
- My Papa's Pizza, 301 Aultman Street, 775-289-3722
- Best Western Main Motel, 1101 Aultman Street, ☎ +1 775 289-4529 (fax: +1 775 289-6178), .
- Best Western Park Vue, 930 Aultman Street, ☎ +1 775 289-4497 (fax: +1 775 289-4541), .
- Motel 6, 770 Avenue O, ☎ +1 775 289-6671 (fax: +1 775 289-4803), .
- Hotel Nevada, 501 E Aultman Street, ☎ +1 775 289-6665 or +1 888 406-3055, .
Ely is at the crossroads to several destinations throughout the western United States. Idaho is accessible via US 93 north, while US 50 and US 6 lead to points in California, Utah and Colorado.
Las Vegas is approximately four hours away on US 93 southbound, but one can take a shortcut via Nevada State Highway 318, which begins at an intersection with US 6 about 30 miles outside Ely. Taking this route shortens the trip to Vegas by about 60 miles (100 km), but the road is extremely desolate with nearly nonexistent cell phone coverage and no services to speak of apart from the small town of Lund. Don't try it unless you trust your car and you have emergency supplies.