Ellenville is a village within the town of Wawarsing, in Ulster County, part of the Catskills region in New York State. Ellenville is located near the intersection of routes NY 52 and US 209.
Ellenville is located in the humid continental climate zone and has cold, snowy winters, and hot, wet summers; the village experiences four distinct seasons. Ellenville is located in plant hardiness zone 6a. Snowfall is significant. Ellenville is close enough to the Atlantic coast to receive heavy snow from Nor'easters and the village occasionally receives Alberta clippers. Winters can be very cold with fluctuating conditions. Summers in Ellenville can contain stretches of excessive heat and humidity.
Welcome sign when entering Ellenville
The closest airport with commercial flights near Ellenville will be Stewart International Airport (SWF) in Newburgh/New Windsor, NY (About 28 miles, 50 min. driving time). A connection to Ellenville from the airport may be available with Ulster County Area Transit (UCAT).
The next closest will be Albany International Airport (ALB) in Albany (About 90 miles, 1.6 hours driving time). The next choices will be the major airports in the New York City area. Some type of ground transportation to Ellenville will be needed to complete your journey.
- AMTRAK / Metro North, Poughkeepsie, NY, ☎ +1 800-638-7646, . AMTRAK and Metro North have a train station in Poughkeepsie, about 34 miles Northeast of Ellenville and 1 hour driving time. A connection to Ellenville may be available with Ulster County Area Transit (UCAT). edit
The easiest and most common way to reach Ellenville is by driving an automobile or other road vehicle. NY Route 52 and US Route 209 converge in Ellenville. These are generally two lane roads that are also used as local roads. Use caution when traveling these roads, as they are not designed for high speeds.
- Shortline-Coach USA, ☎ +1 800-631-8405, . Shortline Bus Line-Coach USA offers three bus trips daily between Ellenville and New York City. Other ground transportation will be needed once inside Ellenville. edit
- Pine Hill Trailways, New Paltz, ☎ +1 800-776-7548, . Pine Hill Trailways offers several bus trips daily between New York City and New Paltz. Ground transportation will be needed between New Paltz to Ellenville. A connection may be available with Ulster County Area Transit (UCAT). edit
- Ulster County Area Transit (UCAT), ☎ +1 845-340-3333, . UCAT offers bus service inside Ulster County, and connects Ellenville with neighboring towns. UCAT directly serves US Route 209 in Ellenville with the "E" and "E1" Routes. Check the website for exact schedule and details. edit
The easiest way to travel around Ellenville is by automobile. NY Route 52 and US Route 209 intersect in Ellenville. Local roads are usually two-lane asphalt or single-lane gravel roads.
- Abe's Taxi Service, ☎ +1 845-647-5656. Offers taxi service in Ellenville. Phone for use. edit
- Ellenville Taxi Service, ☎ +1 845-647-6868. Offers cab service in Ellenville. Call to employ. edit
Art and culture
- Ellenville Public Library & Museum, 40 Center Street, ☎ +1 845-647-5530, . Public library and Terwilliger House Museum. edit
- Shadowland Theatre, 157 Canal Street, ☎ +1 845-647-5511, . Local acting theatre in a 1920’s art-deco building with state-of-the-art technical elements. edit
- Christ Lutheran Church, 105 Center Street, ☎ +1 845-647-9054, . Historic building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. edit
- Ellenville Reformed Church, 188 Canal St., ☎ +1 845-647-4130. edit
- St Johns Memorial Episcopal Church, 40 Market St., ☎ +1 845-626-2605, . Picturesque cathedral offers Episcopal services. edit
- St. Mary and St. Andrew Catholic Parish, 137 South Main Street, ☎ +1 845-647-6080, . Offers Catholic services. edit
- United Methodist Church, 83 Canal Street, ☎ +1 845-647-7094. Offers Methodist services to the public. edit
- Hunt Memorial Building, Liberty Square, . Historic building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. Building is undergoing restoration and currently houses the Ellenville Chamber of Commerce. edit
- U.S. Post Office at Ellenville, Liberty Place, ☎ +1 845-647-9584, . Historic building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. edit
- Ellenville Lanes, 8109 Route 209, ☎ +1 845-647-2695. Bowling lanes open to the public. edit
- Shawangunk Country Club, 38 Country Club Road, ☎ +1 845-647-6090. Offers 9-hole golf course. edit
- Mountain Wings, 77 Hang Glider Road, ☎ +1 845-647-3377, . Mountain Wings sits at the foot of Ellenville Mountain. Gliding training provided. edit
- Braden Brook Stables, 19 Mountain Dale Road (Greenfield Park), ☎ +1 845-647-7556, . Offers horse riding on bridle trails. Training offered. edit
Salon & Spa
- Caress Body Works, 190 S Main Street, ☎ +1 845-647-8866, . Offers day spa services, including skin care and body massage. edit
- Barthel's Farm Market, 8057 Route 209, ☎ +1 845-647-6941. Shop for bedding plants, shrubs, hanging baskets, garden supplies, Christmas trees and wreaths. All varieties of vegetables. Open daily. edit
- Ellenville Farmers Market 2016, Market & Center Streets, ☎ +1 845-443-1946 (EllenvilleOrgVeg@aol.com), . 10am - 2pm. Shop for fresh produce, organics; music, family friendly. Open every Sunday, June 19 - October 30 2016. New vendors are welcome. edit
- Arianna's Pizzeria and Restaurant, 2 Market St., ☎ +1 845-647-2244. Offers pizza and Italian cuisine. edit
- Aroma Thyme Bistro, 165 Canal St., ☎ +1 845-647-3000, . Green certified, selection of wine, beer and spirits. Open every day except Wednesday. Jazz every Thursday, music every Saturday edit
- Dominick's Restaurant & Pizzeria, 104 Center St., ☎ +1 845-647-0066, . Offers pizza and Italian cuisine. edit
- European Deli, 54 N Main St., ☎ +1 845-647-1168, . Offers Central European and Eastern European cuisine (German, Polish). edit
- Gaby's Cafe, 150 Canal St., ☎ +1 845-210-1040, . Offers Mexican cuisine. edit
- Subway, 16 North Main Street, ☎ +1 845-647-7776. Offers subs and salads. edit
- Wilson's Market, 14 Canal St., ☎ +1 845-647-7390, . Offers sandwiches and subs. edit
- B G's Sportsmans Pub, 410 Briggs Hwy, ☎ +1 845-647-8412. Sports bar. edit
- Dibrova Lounge, 8853 Route 209 (Ukrainian American Youth Association), ☎ +1 845-647-7230. Ukrainian-themed lounge at the UAYA Center edit
- Stony Brae Pub, 3984 NY Route 52, ☎ +1 845-647-2108. Near Shawangunk Ridge State Forest. edit
- Tavern at the 'Gunk, 38 Country Club Road (Shawangunk Country Club), ☎ +1 845-210-4206, . Located at Shawangunk Country Club. edit
- Town Tavern, 78 Center St., ☎ +1 845-647-6140. Local tavern. edit
- Emerald Forest Bungalows, 949 Ulster Heights Road, ☎ +1 845-647-9543, . Chalet style cottages. edit
- Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, 1195 Arrowhead Road, ☎ +1 845-210-1600, . Resort and conference center offers 232 rooms for lodging accommodations. edit
- Ukrainian American Youth Association, 8853 Route 209, ☎ +1 845-647-7230, . UAYA Camp and Resort offers lodging. Offers sports and Ukrainian cultural activities; summer camps for youth, concerts at the main Auditorium. Pool, soccer fields, tracks, volleyball courts on site. edit
- Village Motel, 70 Main Street, ☎ +1 845-647-6020, . Offers 34 rooms for lodging accommodations. edit
The Area Code in Ellenville is 845. Cellular signal coverage is unpredictable in Ellenville. Internet service may be offered at some lodgings in town.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!