Ellensburg  is a small city in the North Cascades region of Washington State.
By car is the only practical way in, there is no air or rail service and limited bus services.
- Interstate 90 (I-90) passes by at the south side of town. Ellensburg is accessed from Exit #106 (W. University Way & Thorp Hwy) and 109 (Canyon Rd). Located 110mi/165km (1hr38min) east of Seattle and 170mi/272km (2hr44min) west of Spokane.
- Interstate 82 (I-82) begins southeast of Ellensburg at Exit 110. I-82 goes southeast through Yakima (36mi/57.5km), Toppenish, Sunnyside, Tri-Cities (113mi/181km) and down into Hermiston, Oregon (142mi/227km). Ends at the junction with Interstate 84. From I-84, I-82 starts from Exit #179.
- US-Hwy 97 goes another 160mi/256km (3hr) north to Omak and another 48mi/77km (:45min) from Omak to Osoyoos, BC by Lake Osoyoos, just over the U.S./Canadian border. From I-90, access to US Hwy 97 northbound is off of Exit #106 and the first left (north) from the eastside of the freeway. Going southbound, US-97 follows I-82 to Union Gap just south Yakima where it branches off again on a separate road to Toppenish and south to Biggs Junction, Oregon (Exit #104 along Interstate 84 in Oregon).
Greyhound has four departures daily to Seattle from a stop at the western edge of town (see below):
- Greyhound, Love's Truck Stop @ 1512 Hwy 97 (off of Exit 106 from I-90), ☎ 509-925-1177 (toll free: 1-800-231-2222), . Travels primarily on Interstate 90 (Seattle, Ellensburg, Moses Lake, Spokane, Couer d'Alene, Kellog, St Regis & Missoula); Interstate 82 (Stanfield, OR; Pasco, Sunnyside, Yakima, Ellensburg & Seattle) and US395/I-84 (Spokane, Pasco, the Dalles, Hood River, Portland). Passengers transfer buses in Spokane, Seattle, Tri-Cities (to get to Walla Walla, NE Oregon or Portland), Missoula, Portland or Stanfield (Greyhound buses traveling along I-84) to get to additional cities. edit
Besides Greyhound there are:
- Northwestern Trailways, Love's Truck Stop @ 1512 Hwy 97 (off of Exit 106, same stop as Greyhound), ☎ 509-838-4029 (toll free: 1-800-366-3830), . operates the state's "Travel Washington Apple Line" bus  between Ellensburg, Wenatchee & Omak. edit
- Bellair Airporter, Quality Inn @ 1700 Canyon Rd S (2 blocks north on Canyon Rd from exit 109), ☎ 360-380-8880 (toll free: 866-235-5247), . Goes west to Cle Elum, North Bend and SeaTac Airport and southeast to Yakima. Can make an additional stop at CWU (Central Washington University) Starbucks at 908 E 10th St (in town) by reservation ONLY, does not automatically stop there. edit
- Ellensburg Commuter (Yakima Transit Rt #11 & by Hopesource)  goes up to Ellensburg & Central Washington University (CWU) campus four times daily from Yakima.
By car is the most practical & convenient way around town and around Kittitas County. There is NO rail service and very limited bus services in the county. If necessary there are:
- Hopesource operates shuttle buses to Cle Elum 3x daily. The same shuttle continues to Easton on request only.
- Yakima Commuter is an express bus between Ellensburg and Yakima operated by Hopesource and Yakima Transit (Rt#11).
- Central Transit provides local in town shuttles betweeen CWU (Central Washingotn University), downtown Ellensburg, and the surrounding residential neighborhoods.
- Central Washington University, 400 E. University Way, ☎ +1 509-963-1111, . The ten thousand undergraduates of CWU very nearly outnumber all the other residents of Ellensburg. edit
- Clymer Museum of Art
- Olmstead Place State Park, 4 miles east of Ellensburg
- Ellensburg Pasta Company, 600 N Main St, ☎ 5099333330, . 11:00-21:00. edit
- D&M Coffee, 301 N. Pine, ☎ +1 509-925-5313, . Popular hangout in the middle of downtown, and the locally-roasted coffee is tasty indeed. edit
- A second location is a few blocks northwest at 416 N. Main St.
- Best Western Lincoln Inn & Suites, 211 W Umptanum Road, ☎ +1 509 925-4244 (toll free: +1 866 925-4288, fax: +1 509 925-4211), . edit
- Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park/Wanapum Recreational Area, about 30 miles east
- Liberty B.L.M. Recreation Site, an old gold-mining site 22 miles from Ellensburg
- Summit at Snoqualmie - ski resort at Snoqualmie Pass
|Routes through Ellensburg