Elba (Isola d'Elba in Italian) is an island in Tuscany.
Go by ferry -- taking your car, as it is a must to explore the entire island.
The ships start from Piombino.
The ferry operator Toremar [] is usually a lot cheaper than Moby. You can compare and book ferry tickets to Elba direcly on line.
Mass transit does exist, but only to/from Portoferraio (short-distance and long-distance) and to/from Marina di Campo (short-distance only).
Buses run a fairly comprehensive route, so you can reach the main towns and villages around the island. It is also quite cheap.
Hitchiking is possible, as there are many who take their cars by ferry when visiting the island.
You can also rent cars, scooters, and boats at RENT CHIAPPI in the marina of Portoferraio. Price for a FIAT Panda is between 37€ and 45€ per day, all included.
Napoleon was banished to the island and both of his homes (summer & winter) are available to tour. You can hike, bicycle, swim, or walk around the plaza at night with the locals. It is incredibly beautiful, with small towns set on hilltops and castles. There are flowers galore and the interior of the island is full of old, little viewed churches.
57036 Porto Azzurro - Via Provinciale Est
Tel. & Fax: (+39) 0565.95350
Tel. (+39) 0565.920961
- Sapere Archeological Museum
50736 Porta Azzurro
Info: tel. 056595033 fax: 056595064
Email: [email protected]
- fetovaia si the best beach, you can reach by bus
Napoleon's homes, bike, go to any one of 10 -12 beaches, drink some local wine, hike, visit as many old castles,churches as you can. Takes about 3 days to see the island and that still leaves many areas untouched. Was told several times by the locals that in the summer Elba becomes a day-tripper's nightmare with people from the mainland. Visited in late May - slightly cool at night.
- SCUBA diving in Capoliveri, A small familiar dive school in Madonna delle Grazie, offers you some of the best dive sites in the Mediterranean Sea. Marelinosub is managed by a Swiss dive instructor, how offers different SCUBA courses. Phone: +39 333 380 57 51
- Hiking trip on the island of Elba Going hiking on Elba means following thousands of years of its inhabitants history, from prehistoric caves to ancient stone villages, finding Etruscan furnaces and forts, visiting antique granite quarries where Romans “worked” columns. You could relive the Saracen raids, visiting battlefields, defensive forts and destroyed villages that have never been rebuilt. Walking on Elba means you’ll discover and get to know all this and more thanks to the enormous concentration of sites that this small and great island offers. What is more, the Island of Elba’s hiking routes offer a variety of itineraries for views, vegetation and level of difficulty, ranging from paths hidden in Mediterranean vegetation, to hiking itineraries through woods and routes in the mountains. All the trips are guided and include transport to the departure points and technical assistance.
Sorry or glad to say that shopping isn't what you might expect but the island is for experiencing. Some local wines. Worth tasting is the Limoncino (lemon liquor).
Seafood is fresh ( it is an island) and the bread is what you were dreaming about. Get the Italian version of steak and try the bread and tomato salad.
- There are some shops in Porto ferraio ( the capital) but the recommended place for shopping and relaxing , walking in the evings is Marciana Marina, nice shops there where you can get designer sunglasses, ralph lauren clothes etc. Its reminding of moore of a preppy st. tropez
Some local wines and water is great tasting.
Elba is a touristic Island and there are lot of accommodations available, from cheap camp-grounds to luxury resorts.
There are a fair number of camp-grounds all over the island but you can easily reach some of them by bus.
- Hotel & Residence Sant'Anna del Volterraio (Hotel 4 stelle Isola d'Elba), Località Bagnaia, 57039 Rio nell'Elba (LI) (The Hotel is in the north-eastern part of the Island, 400mt from Procchio/Marciana), ☎ +39 0565 961219 ([email protected], fax: +39 0565 961289), . Sant'Anna del Volterraio hotel has a beautiful park, two swimming pools and it is properly equipped to host families. The hotel was designed to blend the whole structure with the natural context of the area, to reduce the environmental impact and to add value to the existing historical buildings. The tiered structure consists of dwellings covered with mantles of vegetation and climbing vines, and is in the form of a semi-circle. edit
- Hotel Capo Sud Hotel Capo Sud, Lacona di Capoliveri, ☎ +39 05188.8.131.52 ([email protected]), . The hotel Capo Sud it's an ecohotel surrounded by nature. Directly on the sea, the hotel Capo Sud promises a stay of relax, good italian food and quiet. edit
- Hotel La Primula, Viale Cerboni 1 - Marciana Marina, ☎ +39 0565 99010 ([email protected], fax: +39 0565 996819), . edit
- Hotel Biodola (4 stars Hotel), Loc.tà La Biodola - 57037 Portoferraio - Isola d’Elba (Li) (From Porto Ferraio follow the signs “tutte le direzioni” and take the road for“Procchio/Marciana”. After 3 minutes yoy will find a crossroad that will lead you to Biodola Hotel.), ☎ +39.0565.974812 ([email protected]), . The four-star Hotel Biodola's narrative is one mixed with love for nature and especially for the Bay of Biodola. The hotel has a lot of services: a rich breakfast, free animation for children, tours, parking and a Spa. edit
- Hotel Del Golfo (4 stars Hotel Elba), Via delle Ginestre, 31, 57030 Marciana, Isola d’Elba (Li) (From Portoferraio procede following the traffic signs “tutte le direzioni” and then the Procchio-Marciana signs until Via delle Ginestre.), ☎ +39.05659021 ([email protected]), . Del Golfo is an hotel that gives a lot of services, from breakfast, to the Spa treatments until free entretainment for children. edit
- Hotel Hermitage (5 Stars Hotel Isola d'Elba), La Biodola - 57037 Portoferraio - Isola d’Elba (Li) (From Portoferraio procede following the traffic signs “tutte le direzioni” and then the Procchio-Marciana signs.), ☎ +39 0565 9740 ([email protected]), . The Hermitage Hotel, nestled in the corner of a beautiful sandy bay backed by a picturesque tree covered hillside offers many services, among which a crystalline pool, a well stocked bar, a jacuzzi and a choice of restaurants. For children there is a mini club with lots of activities. edit
- Hotel Residence Villa Giulia (Between the picturesque towns of Capoliveri and Porto Azzurro, the 3-star Hotel Residence Villa Giulia is a modern hotel with a pool and restaurant.), Lido di Capoliveri - 57036 Porto Azzurro (From Portoferraio, follow provincial road SP26 towards Porto Azzurro/Capoliveri for 8 km. At the fork, stay to your left following the signs for the Hotel Residence Villa Giulia.), ☎ +39 0565 940167 ([email protected], fax: +39 0565 940110), . edit
- Hotel Ilio, ☎ ++39 05184.108.40.206, . The Boutique Hotel Ilio was founded in 1959. It set up the Elbatuttanatura project in 1989, becoming the first "all-natural" hotel on Elba. edit
- Residence Elite Elba – Via Fucini, 299 - 57034 Marina di Campo, Island of Elba, Livorno, Italy . Telephone +39 0565 97399 • Fax +39 0565 976503. Lovely residence with 81 apartments to host from 2 to 6 people. All with kitchen corner, private bath, shower or bathtub, TV and garden. Minimum stay requested. Closed in the winter months. Prices available on the booking online system of the Residence Elite Elba website.
- You can usually sleep on the beaches, but beware of the occasional strong winds.