El Segundo is along the Pacific Ocean, just south of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) in Los Angeles County.
El Segundo is one of the oldest cities in the Los Angeles area. It is generally accepted that the city is named after the second (Spanish: el segundo) Standard Oil refinery on the West Coast, built in 1911. Standard Oil Company realized that El Segundo would be a great choice- being mostly vacant and having ocean access. The city developed together with the growth of the refinery. In 1930 Los Angeles Municipal Airport was officially opened which brought many aviation companies to El Segundo. In 1960's the city was even claiming to be "The Aerospace Capital of the World", where companies like Aerospace Company Corporation and Los Angeles Air Force Base had their location. That's why for many years El Segundo was perceived as only an aerospace hub and refinery town.
Today, El Segundo is two cities in one. The coastal portion is a residential suburb with a charming Main Street which looks frozen in time. Locals both affectionately and derisively call it "Mayberry By The Sea", referring to the sleepy fictional town which was the setting for the American television show "The Andy Griffith Show" in the early 1960s.
The "inland portion" of El Segundo is a thriving business district. Many large aerospace companies have facilities in El Segundo, including Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and The Aerospace Corporation, which is headquartered here. It is also home to the Los Angeles Air Force Base and the Space and Missile Systems Center, Toy Manufacturer, Mattel, and grocer Fresh & Easy.
El Segundo is also home to the blue butterfly, now an endangered species. These butterflies which once used to reside in the sand dunes of El Segundo over an area of 4.5 square miles have now been pushed into three small areas of what is left of those dunes.
The main air transport hub for Southern California is immediately North of the city. Most hotels offer free shuttle transfers to and from the airport. The cost of the shuttle (round trip) is around $10.
- Sepulveda Blvd. , or Pacific Coast Highway, or simply PCH runs north/south through the middle of the city.
- Rosecrans Ave. runs to the ocean and El Segundo Blvd. runs to the downtown area, past Main St. and merges with Whiting St.. Main St or Whiting St can be taken to Grand Ave. which runs to the ocean.
- Imperial Hwy. starts where the El Segundo Fwy ends at the airport and runs to the ocean.
- The San Diego Freeway runs just to the East of the city. Off-ramps include Rosecrans Ave. and El Segundo Blvd.
- The El Segundo Freeway runs on the city's Northern border between it and Los Angeles International Airport. Off-ramps include Sepulveda Blvd.
El Segundo Metro Green Line Station
- The Metro Green Line runs through the eastern half of El Segundo, with both Mariposa/Nash and El Segundo/Nash stations within the city limits.
Municipal Bus Lines
Like most places in Los Angeles, you will most likely need a car to move around. Parking can get scarce around the beach, especially on weekends. However, you can easily get anywhere within El Segundo by bicycle, or you can even walk if you will be staying in the downtown area where most of the restaurants are along Main St. The beach is also within walking distance from the central area - it's about a mile from the corner of Grand Ave. and Main St. Note: Walking this direction takes you up a slight hill then down a longer hill going towards the beach which may be challenging to some coming back up. But both sides of Grand Ave. have well paved sidewalks.
Like most Southern California cities, the streets become crowded and hard to navigate. Note: This is especially true for Rosecrans Ave. when heading back to the freeway. Commuters will start merging into the right-hand side of the road half a mile back to get onto the entrance that leads to the 405 freeway.
- Automobile Driving Museum, 610 Lairport St, ☎ +1 310 909 0950, . Tu-Su 10:00-16:00. Founded in 2001, this a free non-profit museum with a rotating collection of 130 classic, antique and vintage automobiles on display. On most Sundays, they bring a few of the classic cars out and offer rides for a small donation. They rotate the cars so you can ride in a different one each weekend. Donation only. edit
- Old Town Music Hall, 140 Richmond St (El Segundo Blvd westbound to Richmond St, turn right), ☎ +1 310 322 2592, . Old Town Music Hall is a treasured cultural landmark located in El Segundo. Since 1968, Old Town Music Hall has been showing vintage silent and sound films, and presenting live concerts by some of the world's finest performers of jazz, ragtime, and popular music from the past. Silent films are accompanied by the Mighty Wurlitzer, a massive 1925 wind-powered pipe organ that has been meticulously preserved so that silent classics can be experienced with live musical accompaniment, just as they did when they were first shown. It's something you really have to see and hear to believe. edit
- Downtown El Segundo, Main St and Grand Ave. From El Segundo Blvd to Imperial Highway is approximately 2 miles if you walk along Main St. The majority of the restaurants, bars and businesses are in between El Segundo Blvd and Mariposa Ave but don't miss the picturesque high school that has been used for several TV and film productions. edit
Walking on the beach is one of the best ways to spend time in El Segundo
Views to the ocean from Sepulveda Blvd. LAX to the right
- Dockweiler State Beach, 12000 Vista del Mar, . Located partially in El Segundo, including the only RV park on the beach in California. edit
- Toyota Sports Center (formerly Health South Training Center). A public skating facility located at the corner of Nash Street and Mariposa Avenue, adjacent to the LA Metro station. The facilites include an Olympic sized ice rink, NHL sized ice hockey rink, indoor in-line hockey rink, indoor basketball court, cafe serving hot food and drinks, gymnasium for professional athletes, skate rental shop, fully stocked skate and hockey pro shop, and locker and shower facilities. This is the official training facility for the Lakers NBA basketball team and the Los Angeles Kings NHL ice hockey team. The TSC is also home to the Angel City Derby Girls, LA's only flat track roller derby league. The TSC also houses the 7th largest organized adult ice hockey league in the nation. edit
- The Lakes Golf Course, 400 South Sepulveda Blvd., ☎ +1-310-322-0202 (fax: +1-310-322-5290), . 06:00-23:00. This nine hole, par 29, 1,327 yard municipal course won't be hosting any PGA tour events any time soon, but it's an excellent course for beginners or those with an extended layover at LAX. There is also a double-deck driving range and a large putting area. $11 green fee weekdays, $13 weekends and holidays. edit
- Old Town Music Hall, 140 Richmond St, ☎ +1 310 322-2592, . F 20:00-23:30, Sa 14:00-20:00, Su 14:00-18:30. A treasured cultural landmark, Old Town Music Hall is where both locals and passerby's come for vintage, silent and sound film and live concerts by some of the world's finest performers of jazz, ragtime, and popular music from the past. edit
- El Segundo Dog Park, E Imperial Ave, . The park allows dogs to run without a leash and socialize with others. The park has a separate section for little dogs as well. edit
- Recreation Park, 401 Sheldon St. Small and nice place for those interested in sport activities. You can play tennis, baseball, soccer. The ping pong are is very popular. the park is very well maintained. Cool place to go for a picnic. edit
Manhattan Village Shopping Center is a small, upscale mall catering to the wealthy locals.
- Apple Store, Manhattan Beach, 3200 Sepulveda Blvd, ☎ (310) 421-3720, . 11am - 6pm. edit
- The Hummus Factory, 204 E. Grand Ave, ☎ +1 310 322 1000, . M-F 11:00-20:00, closed weekends. An unassuming Lebanese restaurant located in a strip-mall near downtown El Segundo, the Hummus Factory is generally packed at lunch times. The menu offers a small selection of simple yet well-prepared dishes including kebabs, falafel, and of course numerous hummus choices. Ordering is done from a counter, and the staff then prepares your meal and brings it out to you. $6-15. edit
- Petit Cafe, 630 N Sepulveda Blvd #3A (In a strip mall with Pollo Loco, Subway and Sizzler), ☎ +1 310 322 9139, . M-F 07:00-21:30, Sa 08:00-21:00, Su 09:00-20:00. Casual and small "Mediterranean grill" with many options from sandwiches, pizzas, salads, and platters. The chicken philly is a standout. Ask for the Original Fries. $9-12. edit
- Sabra Beirut Mix, 400 N Sepulveda Blvd, ☎ +1 310 607 9999, . M-Th 10:00-22:00, F-Sa 10:00-23:00. Mediterranean cuisine. Good and affordable option for lunch." edit
- Trimana Grill, 909 N Sepulveda Blvd, ☎ +1 310 726 0920, . M-F 07:00-17:00, Closed Sa-Su. Chain restaurant in the bottom floor of an office tower next to LAX. Salads and sandwiches serving the local businesses. Also has a small mini market. "Trimana: when you're too tired to go somewhere farther away." edit
- The Soup Bar, 310 E Grand Ave, ☎ +1 855 768 7227, . 11:00-20:00. This is a great place for a light lunch. The soups and salads are very good and the prices are standard for Los Angeles. They are only open until 19:00 Saturdays. $6-10. edit
- Five Guys Burgers and Fries, 460 N Sepulveda Blvd., ☎ (310) 322-0155, . Simple, no frills hamburger restaurant. One of the best around and a big draw for office workers during the lunch hour. Somewhat pricy $7-12. edit
- Havana Sandwich Company, 229 Main St, El Segundo, CA 90245, ☎ (310) 640-0014, . Casual, Mom & Pop like environment. Very good Cuban sandwiches as well as some traditional Cuban plates like Ropa Vieja which comes with plantains. edit
- Good Stuff Restaurant, 131 W Grand Ave C, El Segundo, CA 90245, ☎ (310) 647-9997, . Breakfast and lunch only, check for hours. edit
- Chef Hannes Restaurant, 411 Main St, El Segundo, CA 90245, ☎ (310) 640-0164, . Italian-style main dishes along with a diverse wine list, outdoor seating & offbeat decor. edit
- Blue Butterfly Coffee Co, 351 Main St, El Segundo, CA 90245, ☎ (310) 640-7687, . Laid-back coffeehouse serving tea & espresso drinks, along with simple breakfast & lunch bites. edit
- The Tavern on Main, 123 Main St., ☎ +1-310-322-3645, . Well, it's a tavern, and it's located on Main. Live bands on weekends, happy hour on weekdays from 11AM (yes, 11AM) until 6:30PM, and free wireless internet for those who like their web surfing with a beer buzz. edit
- The Office Downtown, 206 E. Grand Ave., ☎ +1-310-648-3131. edit
- The Purple Orchid, 221 Richmond Street (at Grande), ☎ +1-310-322-5829. This bar is tiki-themed with a small stage that sees local bands playing regularly. It is often described as one of the best tiki-themed bars in Southern California, but even for the most demanding critics, if it's a tiki bar you want this place won't disappoint. Drinks are somewhat on the pricey side, with cocktails averaging about $8.50. edit
- Paul Martin's American Bistro, 2361 Rosecrans Ave. (10 Minutes South of LAX), ☎ +1 310 643-9300, . M-Th 11am-10pm, F 11am-11pm, Sa 12pm-11pm, Su 10am-9pm. “Eat organic. Believe in sustainable. Buy local. Love fresh” is the mantra of top California restaurant, Paul Martin’s American Bistro. As much as possible, that’s what Paul Martin’s aims to deliver, and at accessible prices, with plates priced mostly between $10 and $22. Under $30. (33.930827,-118.383179) edit
- Rock & Brews, 143 Main St, ☎ +1 310 615-9890, . Nice local pub with fairly priced ($10-$15) American food. The places organizes concerts irregularly. edit
- El Segundo Brewing Company, 140 Main St, El Segundo, CA 90245, ☎ (310) 529-3882, . Microbrewery located in downtown El Segundo. edit
- Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo, 2000 East Mariposa Avenue, ☎ +1-310-322-0700 (fax: +1 310 322-4401), . Free shuttle rides from LAX and free Wi-Fi. Rooms are fairly big and equipped with balconies and free Internet. Facilities include outdoor pool, indoor whirlpool, and a (very minimal) fitness center. $99-. edit
- Embassy Suites LAX - North], 9801 Airport Blvd, Phone: +1 310 215-1000, Fax: +1 310 215-1952, Located close to the heart of Los Angeles, California. Just a half-mile from the airport, with free 24-hour shuttle service. Minutes from Manhattan Beach and Route 405 into downtown Los Angeles. A short drive into downtown L.A., Beverly Hills, and Hollywood
- Hyatt Summerfield Suites, 810 South Douglas Street, ☎ +1 310 725-0100, . Just 16 miles from downtown L.A. and 30 min from Anaheim. Marina Del Rey is six miles west. edit
- Concord Hotel, 221 Concord Street, ☎ +1 310 322-6116. Weekly rates, not often available. Common bathrooms. Wi-Fi available, free and FON.com edit
- Holiday Inn LAX Airport Hotel, 9901 La Cienega Blvd, Tel. +1 310 694-5151, . Located within a mile of the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Offers free 24-hour airport shuttle.
- Hilton Garden Inn LAX, 2100 E Mariposa Ave (convenient location near LAX), ☎ +1 310 726-0100, . The hotel provides shuttle service to the airport. The hotel looks new and has pool and jacuzzi. Rooms are spacious.. edit
- Los Angeles - The nation's second most populous city offers various entertainment options, fine museums, restaurants, and shopping. Also see the popular Venice Beach.
- Culver City - A neighboring city and the home of Sony Studios that in recent years has been undergoing a rebirth and now has an increasing number of food, shopping and entertainment options.
- Santa Monica - A lovely city on the shores of the Pacific Ocean. Enjoy the Santa Monica Pier, the city's beaches, and shopping at Third Street Promenade.
- Marina del Rey - (Spanish: The marina of the King) is home to a vast number of restaurants and hotels, and while not as touristy as some of the neighboring beach cities is nonetheless a fun spot to spend an evening.
- Manhattan Beach - El Segundo's neighbor to the South is home to a state beach as well as several upscale restaurants and shopping opportunities.
- Redondo Beach
- Hermosa Beach
|Routes through El Segundo
WikiPedia::El Segundo, California
Dmoz:North America/United States/California/Localities/E/El Segundo
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!