West End is a part of Edmonton. It is probably most known for West Edmonton Mall, which is the largest mall in North America. It is a largely suburban area built mostly in the 1970s, with the exclusion of the west central, inner suburbs like Crestwood and Glenora.
More recent development like Lewis Estates and La Perle are much harder to navigate, like most suburban areas in North America. They use windy roads and you may feel like you are in a maze. A road map would be suggested.
Using bus in the area is relatively simple. Only recent developments do not have bus connections. Bus waits are usually between 7 (peak)-45 (night)minutes. Be sure to check ETS for times and routes. Information on the bus system, including wait times, is available at ☎ 780-496-1600. or [www.takeets.com].
- Crestwood, south of Jasper Place-Glenora (bordered by Stony Plain [101st Avenue] Road in the north, Buena Vista Road/87th Avenue to the south, 149 Street to the west, and the North Saskatchewan River and River Valley to the east) and north of Whitemud. This area was settled mostly around the 1960s and 1970s and includes many new projects from housing to commercial strips that keeps the area modern. Despite the area being shrouded by infill of modern mansion, the place still tends to keep a 1960s style charm. It has a number of funky buildings especially west of 149 St. and has great skyline views.
Beautiful mansions in Crestwood.
- Laurier Park is on the river valley and is a nice park to sit and enjoy.
- Valley Zoo, 13315 Buena Vista Rd, ☎ 780-496-6924, . Not very big as say the Calgary or Vancouver zoos, but has a nice small mix of animals and offers a quiet experience. The place will soon be undergoing an expansion. edit
- Candy Cane Lane, 148 St. NW between 100 and 92 Avenue NW (December 10, 2010 to January 4, 2011), . For three special weeks in December, 8 blocks of residential get transformed into the ultimate Christmas light display. Houses bring out their best lights and decorations and make it an unforgettable experience. Many people drive the street, but you can also walk as an alternative way to enjoy an Edmonton tradition. It is best to view after dark (Sunset is around 1700 in December) so everything can be seen in action. Visitors are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food donation to place in boxes set up along the lane for the Edmonton Food Bank, a charity that helps families in need. edit
- Lewis Estates Golf Club, 8700 207 St., 780-489-4653, . (Public: 6220 yards, par 72) This course is embedded in the Lewis Estates housing development, and most of the fairways snake between rows of homes. Some "wild" fairways cut through the natural forest that still exists in the middle of the first nine holes, and they are a welcome respite from the fences, yards, and all-too-vulnerable windows of the remaining holes.
- Cineplex Odeon Westmall 8, 8882 170 St, ☎ 780 444 1829. edit
- Scotiabank Theatre, #3030, 8882-170 Street (formerly SILVERCITY), ☎ (780) 444-2400, . Well kept theatre, at busy times expect to wait in lines (especially concession). The picture of the screen is very good. Shows the standard of regular Blockbuster movies. edit
- The Edmonton Corn Maze. edit
- Edmonton River Cree Resort and Casino. edit
- West Edmonton Mall, . edit
- Meadowlark Plaza. edit
- Depot 170/Westpoint Centre. edit
- Terra Losa. edit
- Delux Burger Bar, 9682 142 St. (In a tiny modern retail strip), ☎ 780.420.0101, . Open @ 11am everyday. Gourmet burgers of every kind that are so juicy you'll just want to dig in. Make sure you get the shopping cart of fries, it is definitely a unique experience and those fries are so fresh and full of taste. This place is so one-of-a-kind. Pretty medium prices. edit
- Chop, 17635 Stony Plain Rd NW (Behind a Best Buy), ☎ +1 780 487-2467, . M 11AM-11PM, Tu-Th 11AM-midnight, F 11AM-1AM, Sa 4PM-1AM, Su 4PM-11PM. CHOP is a beautiful steakhouse and seafood palace. It keeps it's modern style clean and yet, casual! The prices are generally high. edit
- Jungle Jim's, #1648 8882 170 St. NW, ☎ (780) 444-3555. A cool little restaurant in the mall gives a somewhat tropical interior along with Caribbean inspired foods to the area. It is kind of tacky, but neat nonetheless. edit
- Old Spaghetti Factory West Edmonton Mall Bourbon Street, 8882-170th Street NorthWest. It's a nice bustling restaurant catered with fine Italian cuisine with the best part maybe just being the starter-bread! During Saturdays, expect to wait in line to get your table. It is on the "Bourbon Street" section of West Edmonton Mall. edit
- Sankyu, 15041 Stony Plain Road NW, . Pretty mild prices with mild quality. This seafood place is very popular with some of the people around Edmonton. edit
- Tasty Tomato, 14233 Stony Plain Road NW, ☎ (780) 452-3594. Good Italian food with cheap prices. It is so good that you may have to wait in line, but so worth it. edit
- Albert's Family Restaurant, 17620-100 Ave NW, ☎ (780) 489-2699, . Standard breakfast fare edit
- Cactus Club Cafe, North Side of West Edmonton Mall - 2715 8882 170 St NW, ☎ (780) 489-1002 . Good American food, with a modern atmosphere. Accessible directly from the WEM parking lot. edit
- Fantasy Lounge, 17700 87 Avenue NW, ☎ (800) 737-3783. edit
- Doc's Restaurants & Lounge, 15203 Stony Plain Road NW, ☎ (780) 486-1100. edit
- Empire Ballroom, 2687-8882 170 Street NW, ☎ (780) 486-9494, . edit
- Flamingo Restaurant and Lounge, 15835 87 Avenue NW, ☎ (780) 483-7178. edit
- Brewsters Brewing Company & Restaurant, 15820 87th Avenue, ☎ (780) 421-4677. Typical Western Cuisine done in a moderately upscale fashion. $20-30. edit
- Days Inn Edmonton South, 10333 University Ave NW, ☎ 780-430-0011, . A south Edmonton hotel located near the University of Alberta featuring vacation packages, a business center, and well-appointed accommodations including Jacuzzi suites & extended stay rooms. edit
- Executive Royal Inn West Edmonton, 10010 178 Street NW, ☎ (780) 484-6000, . edit
- Best Western Westwood Inn, 18035 Stony Plain Rd, ☎ +1 780 483-7770 (fax: +1 780 486-1769), . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. edit
- Hampton Inn Edmonton, 18304 100 Ave, ☎ +1 780 443-4171 (fax: +1 780 484-7259), . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. Luxurious suites and friendly staff-definitely a good deal. edit
- Howard Johnson West Edmonton, 15540 Stony Plain Road NW, ☎ +1 780 484-3333 (toll free: +1 800 446-4656, firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 780 489-3774), . edit
- West Edmonton Mall Inn, 17504 90 Avenue NW, ☎ +1 780 444-9378 (toll free: +1 800 737-3783, email@example.com, fax: +1 780 489-7899), . Physically detached from the mall but technically part of the mall property. An excellent alternative if the Fantasyland Hotel is too much for your budget. edit
- West Harvest Inn, 17803 Stony Plain Road NW, ☎ +1 780 484-8000 (toll free: +1 888 882-9378, firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 780 486-6060), . edit
- Holiday Inn West Edmonton, 11330 170 Street Northwest, ☎ 7804443110. In the northwest part of the city this hotel springs up with good access to through fares and can get you anywhere in the city simply. Though higher end, it is popular with less rich people, but also the higher class,epecially on business travels to the industrial areas it surrounds. edit
- Edmonton Marriott at River Cree Resort, 300 East Lapotac Boulevard, ☎ 780 484 2121, toll-free 800 960 4913, . Located on 49 acres, minutes from the airport and downtown. The hotel features 4 restaurants, an on-site casino, 2 NHL-sized hockey rinks, indoor pool, and state-of-the-art fitness center. From $139/night. edit
- Fantasyland Hotel, 17700 87 Avenue NW (in West Edmonton Mall), ☎ 780 444 3000 (toll free: +1 800 737-3783, email@example.com, fax: +1 780 444-3294), . Perhaps the one of the most unusual hotels in Canada, featuring exotically themed rooms such as Hollywood, African Safari, Polynesian, Trucks, Trains, and so on. It makes for the perfect resting place if you plan to spend several days inside the enormous shopping center. edit
- Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, 17610 Stony Plain Rd, ☎ +1 780 443-2233, . checkin: 4PM; checkout: 11AM. edit
- Mayfield Inn & Suites Hotel West Edmonton, 16615 109th Ave, ☎ +1 780 484-0821, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. 327 guestrooms, indoor swimming pool, dinner theatre. $135. (53.555262,-113.608804) edit
Edmonton's West End is relatively safe, but normal precautions should be followed. If out at after dark, it is advisable to have company. Jasper Place area can be an area of concern, yet West Edmonton Mall (WEM) is the biggest area to be wary of. After closing hours, it is advised one leaves quickly as one can be targeted for mugging or assault. If parking at WEM, be wary to keep valuables out of sight and preferably with you as theft from cars is higher than average here than in many other places in Edmonton.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!