Echternach is a small town with about 5000 inhabitants on the eastern border of Luxembourg, just a hop away from Germany. It's Luxembourg's oldest town, based on an old monastery founded in 698.
Assumed you come from Luxembourg city, you can get there by:
- Bus: The bus lines 111 and 110 take you from the central station and the main bus station (Aldringer) to Echternach in under one hour.
- Car: Leaving the city via Kirchberg, the directions to Echternach are well explained.
- Bike: Via Kirchberg, you got a perfectly signed cycling-trail which should take about 3 hours.
You can also make a trip here from Vianden, it takes about 40 minutes - get the 570 bus to Ettelbruck (get off when you see the "Gulf" petrol station), then cross the road and take the bus to Echernach. The connection time is generally short (about 10 mins), but best to get your hotel/hostel to check times before you go.
As Echternach is a small town, you can easily get around by walking.
- The old abbey founded in 698 by St. Willibrord is one of the must-sees in Echternach. Today, it's a school building for high-school classes (7th-13th grade). The basilica next to it still serves as church of Echternach. If you're interested in the history of the monastery, there is a small but nice museum next to it.
- The town square with its square cross and the historical guildhall "Denzelt" is a nice place to see and stay.
- The roman villa about 20 minutes walk from the centre shows the remains of an ancient roman house. A walk-through is free, worth a visit.
- The lake is an artificial lake. Enjoy the silence around it, 20 minutes walk from the city centre.
- Visit the small cinema "Cine Sura", the oldest movie theatre in Luxembourg. Shows from Friday-Wednesday.
- A well-known music festival, the E-Lake Festival, is held in Echternach every summer. 
- the tourist office has a free self-guided tour leaflet to take you around Etternach. Interesting, without being too in-depth or self-indulgent.
- Macarons mous, typical traditional sweets. Taste like pure sugar, but at least you should give them a try. Can be bought at the Patisserie Zimmer and Patisserie Simon.
- Italian and Chinese restaurants are the main appearance in Echternach. Try the restaurant Giorgio, they have quite a good Italian kitchen.
- Close to the police station, there is a really good kebab restaurant, worth a try.
Most cafés are situated around the town square and the main shopping road
- 'Café de la Poste (Wohli)' offers a nice ambiance on two floors and a small terrace for summer evenings. Also got some minor fast-food.
- Café 'Aal Eechternoach' is mainly nice because of its terrace directly on the town square.
- 'Café Philo'soff' is still an insider-tip. Typical students-pub in the main shopping road. Especially the garden is nice. Very crowded on Friday evenings
- Youth Hostel Echternach, Chemin vers Rodenhof, L-6487 Echternach, ☎ (+352) 26 27 66 400, . checkin: 17:00; checkout: 10:00. 24,20 Euro per bed in a dorm, breakfast included. All rooms are ensuites. The hostel is very focussed on sports activities and has its own 14 metre high climbing wall, bikes for rent, trampoline park, etc. edit