East Haddam is a town in the Connecticut River Valley in the state of Connecticut.
-Follow 95 South and take exit 69 o Route 9 North.
-From Route 9... You can either...
A- Take exit 6 to the Ferry. (Only runs seasonally)
B- Take exit 7 to the East Haddam Swing Bridge.
-From exit 7, follow Route 82 East to East Haddam.
-On 395 South, take Exit 77
-Turn Right on Route 85 North.
-Follow Route 85 North Routh 82 West.
-Arrive on Route 82 East.
East Haddam is 1 1/2 hours away from Boston, 2 hours away from New York City, and 1 hour away from Providence. (Depending on traffic)
- Nathan Hale School House, 29 Main St, ☎ +11-860-873-3399. Nathan Hale School House, open from Memorial Day to Columbus Day, is open from Noon to 4:00pm. Over two hundred years old, this red building served as a school house from 1750 to 1799. In 1772, Yale Graduate Nathan Hale came to teach thirty-three pupils, all ranging from ages six to eighteen, until the winter of 1773. During this time, Nathan Hale taught his students from seven in the morning until nine in the evening, with only one hour's lunch break inbetween. Shortly after his teaching in East Haddam, Nathan Hale took a position in at a Union Grammer School in New London. edit
- Devil's Hopyard State Park, 366 Hopyard Rd, ☎ +1-860-424-3200. Open from eight in the morning, until sunset, this state park offers a wide variety of entertainment, including camping, hiking (Map of Hiking Trails- ), fishing, and even scary folk tales. The most famous tale was the story of the Devil getting his tail wet in the famous Chapman Falls, and becoming so angry that he 'burned holes in the stones with his hooves.' Chapman Falls, fall over sixty feet over a series of steps in a Scotland Schist stone formation. edit
- Gillette Castle State Park, 67 River Road East. Costing $6 for adults and $2 for children ages 6-12, Gillette's Castle offers plenty of hiking (Maps of hiking trails , picniking, food, gifts, and even a tour inside of the stone-made castle designed by William Gillette between 1914 and 1919. Built from farmer's fieldstone from around the state, and supported by a steel frame, 25 men worked together for five years to complete this dream castle located on 84 acres of land. Gillette, born in Hartford Connecticut in 1853, is known for his portrayl of 'Sherlock Holmes' in his playwrights. Onlooking the Connecticut River on the Seventh Sister Hill, Gillette's magnificent architecture captures the essence of nature that surrounds the area. edit
- Burgundy Books, 4 Norwich Ave, ☎ +1-860-575-3761, . Mon/Tues 1pm-6pm; Wed thru Sat 10am-8pm; Sun 10am-6pm. Sells mostly new and some antique books, and even some collectibles. For things to do, Burgundy Books holds booksignings, a children's story hour, music and arts. edit
- Flights of Fancy ad Hoc Est, ☎ +1-860-537-1664. Must make an appointment. edit
- Hillside Sweet Shoppe, 19 Main St, ☎ +1-860-970-5382. Everyday 11am- (closing). Sells delicious ice cream, candy, toys, and gifts. Sweets include homemade fudge, hot fudge, and much more... edit
- Mary Roz Designs LLC, 49 Eli Chapman Rd. edit
- The Fish Sisters, 2 Norwich Rd. edit
- Gelston House, 8 Main St, ☎ 1-860-873-1411, . Lunch Tu thru Sa 11:30AM-3PM Dinner Tu thru Sa 4:30PM-9PM and Su Brunch and Lunch 11AM-2PM and Su Dinner 3PM-9PM. Offers a beautiful view of the Connecticut River and Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam. They offer a great dine-in area, great for banquets and weddings. edit
- Hilltop Barbecue And Steakhouse. edit
- La Vita Gustosa, 9 Main St, ☎ 1-860-873-8999, . The view from the outdoor patio offers a scenic view of the surrounding Connecticut River as well as the famous Goodspeed Opera House, weather permitting. Indoors is beautifully decorated with Italian murals on the walls, a cozy dining room setting, and a fireplace. Live entertainment is also available on certain nights. edit
- Bishopsgate Inn, 7 Norwich Rd, ☎ 1-860-873-1677, . Bishopsgate Inn has been in operation since the late 1960's. Built in 1818 by Horace Hayden, this inn offers six guest rooms, four with open fireplaces, and one suite that includes a sauna. edit
- Boardman House Inn, 8 Norwich Rd, ☎ 1-860-873-9233, firstname.lastname@example.org, website:www.boardmanhouse.com, . checkin: 3-6PM; checkout: 11AM. This Yankee Magazine Editor's Choice for Connecticut's Best Lodging of 2012 is also a Condé Nast Johansens Recommended Property praised for its "comfortable setting and personal touches." $195-$329. edit