Drammen is a city in Buskerud, 40 km (25 mi) southwest of Oslo. Drammen is where the Drammen river runs into the Drammensfjord, an arm of the Oslofjord. The part north of the river is called Bragernes, the part south of the river is called Strømsø. Drammen is promoted as "the river city". Drammen earlier had a reputation for beeing a grim industrial town. The city was also dubbed the biggest road intersection in Norway, due to the heavy traffic. Today the industry is gone or cleaned, and the traffic passes on highways outside the city. So Drammen today is a nice city, and a pleasent side-trip from Oslo. Or a destination of its own. The city has a long history as a centre for timber-trade and paper production. The paper mills however are closed today.
Either Oslo airport Gardemoen (IATA: OSL) or Sandefjord airport Torp (IATA: TRF). They are both approximately one and a half hour driving from Drammen. From Oslo airport Gardermoen there are several direct trains. There are 3 airport express trains per hour, these cost NOK 250,- one way and take exactly one hour. Then there's one InterCity and one regional train per hour, leaving the airport at 08 and 38 respectively, which take about 1hr 15mins and cost NOK 182,- one way.
Most long-distance trains from Oslo travelling in the western and southern directions pass through Drammen. The following line passes Drammen: the Oslo-Skien line, the Oslo-Bergen line and the Oslo-Kongsberg-Kristiansand-Stavanger line. Drammen also has frequent local trains from Oslo.
E18 from Oslo, Larvik and Kristiansand. It is a 40 min drive from Oslo, depending on the traffic. E134 connects Drammen with Kongsberg. E134
continues to Notodden and Haugesund.
Local buses are operated by Nettbuss. []
The city centre is compact and easy to get around by foot. The river separates the two halves of the city. There are two main bridges for pedestrians: the old city bridge, now closed off for personal cars, and the new Ypsilon bridge which is for pedestrians and cyclists only, and therefore makes a pleasant alternative. The city of Drammen has in recent years built many walking paths along the river on both sides. These are very popular and pleasant. In addition, there are many walking trails in the hills behind the city, including the Zig-Zag path up to Spiralen, which is accessed just behind the main church.
- Bragernes Torg (Bragernes Square). The town square. This is one of Europe's biggest town squares. It was laid out very wide after the great fire of 1866 to prevent future fires from spreading from one half of the city to the other. It has a small market on most days, and is the focal point for the city's pubs and clubs, with plenty of outdoor drinking in summer. edit
- Drammens Museum, Konnerudgate 7, ☎ +47 32200930 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Tu,W: 11AM-3PM Th: 11AM-8PM Sa,Su: 11AM-5PM. Town museum, with different exhibitions. edit
- Drammens Teater (Drammen Theatre), Øvre Storgate 12, ☎ Boxoffice: +47 32213100 (email@example.com). Theater built in new renesance style. edit
- Spiralen. Is a tunnel in the hills, built like a corkscrew. It provides easy acess to the hills above Drammen. From the top it is a magnificent view of the city and its surroundings. This is also an excellent starting point for hiking, and cross-country skiing, in the winter. edit
- Ypsilon. Cable-stayed pedestrian bridge over Drammenselva, connecting Bragernes and Strømsø. Its name is from its special y-shaped form. edit
- Union Brygge. Home of the city library, it's a modern and pleasant area which houses the popular concert house, the library, the university and a collection of indie shops. edit
- Bowling 1, Austadgata 21, ☎ +47 32260040 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +47 32260049). Bowling hall. edit
- Drammen skisenter, Kristian Brennersvei 140, ☎ +47 32822360 (email@example.com, fax: +47 32825019). M-F: 10AM-9PM, Sa,Su: 10AM-6PM. Skiing slopes. Daypass: adults: kr 295, children: kr 240. edit
- Skoger Golfbane, (7 km south of the city), ☎ +47 32880303 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 18 hole golfcourse, par 71. Greenfee: kr 350-kr 400. edit
- KinoCity (City Cinema), Bragernes Torg 2, ☎ +47 820 30 080, . Newly built cinema. edit
- Galleri Athene, Gjetergata 8 (by Grev Wedels plass), ☎ 32 89 18 09, . wed- sun 12-18. Galleri Athene is one the largest private galleries in Norway. 5 floors makes 500 squaremeters in Gjetergata 8 at Grev Wedels Plass i Drammen. The gallery exhibits art of different tecniques and artists, both wellknown, established and the unknown but talented and ambitious. Welcome to an artexperience in the heart of Drammen. edit
- Galleri Athene, Gjetergata 8 (by Grev Wedels plass), . wed - sun 12 - 18. Galleri Athene is one the largest private galleries in Norway. 5 floors makes 500 squaremeters in Gjetergata 8 at Grev Wedels Plass i Drammen. The gallery exhibits art of different tecniques and artists, both wellknown, established and the unknown but talented and ambitious. Welcome to an artexperience in the heart of Drammen. edit
- Glasshytta (Kari Ulleberg), Grønland 57, ☎ +47 91619270, . M-F 11–17,Sa 11–15.. Glasshytta in Drammen makes art out of glass - drinking glasses, carafes, candle sticks, vases, saucers, plates and so on. Studio and shop on the same premises edit
- Magasinet Drammen, Nedre Storgate 6, ☎ +47 32213990, . M-F 9-20,Sa 9-18. A mall with 65 shops, including a pharmacy, book store and optician edit
- Bighorne Steakhouse, Nedre Torggate 11, ☎ +47 32831888 (email@example.com, fax: +47 32831887), . M,Tu: 4PM-10PM, W,Th: 4PM-10.30PM, F,Sa: 4PM-11PM, Su: 3PM-10PM. Good steaks. edit
- Cafe Picasso, Nedre Storgate 16, ☎ +47 32890708. M-Sa:11AM-10.30PM, Su: 2PM-10PM. French and italian snack. edit
- Chinatown Restaurant, Konnerudgata 35 (+ 22464878). Chinese. edit
- Hannas Kjøkken, Gamle Kirkeplass 3 (At Rica Park Hotel). M-Sa:5PM-11PM. . edit
- Jonas B Gundersen, Bragernes Torg 8, ☎ +47 32890580 (firstname.lastname@example.org). M-Th:11AM-12PM, F,Sa: 11AM-1AM, Su: 1PM-12PM. Pizza and pasta. edit
- Pavarotti Restaurant, Nedre Torggate 9, ☎ +47 32825530 (email@example.com). M-Sa: 3PM-10.30PM, Su:3PM-10PM. edit
- Peppes Pizza, Strømsø Torg 1 (Drammen Train station), ☎ +47 2222 5555, . American restaurant with bar, serving pizza, burgers, lasagne, salads, etc. edit
- Skutebrygga, Nedre Strandgate 2, ☎ +47 32833330 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +47 32832016). M-Sa: 11AM-10.30PM, Su: 1PM-9PM. Nice location by the riverdocks. edit
- Spiralen Cafe og Restaurant, Spiraltoppen 1 (On top of Spiralen), ☎ +47 32898600 (email@example.com). Enjoy the view, over the city. edit
- Åspaviljongen, Bragernesåsen, ☎ +47 32833747 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +47 32831837). Classic restaurant, situated halfway up the hill behind Bragernes Town Square. Very nice hiking paths. Re-opened spring 2011 with new owners. Very nice views of the whole Drammen valley from the outdoor deck. edit
- Aroma India, Øvre Torggate 4, ☎ +47 32838250, . Su-Th: 3PM-10PM, Fr-Sa: 3PM-11PM. Indian food with comprehensive menu. edit
The city has a brewery with a somewhat embarrassing name, Aass. But if you like beer it's well worth a try. And the name... It is the name of the family who owns the brewery, Aass or Ås is norwegian for hill.
- Dickens Pub, Øvre Torggate 8, ☎ +47 32838015. edit
- Elvebredden Cafe og Bar, Grønland 54, ☎ +47 32827400. edit
- Goggen Sportspub, Bragernes Torg 9, ☎ +47 32899210 (email@example.com). M,Tu: 3PM-1AM, W-F: 3PM-3.30AM, Sa: 1-PM-3.30AM, Su: 1PM-1AM. Sports Pub, mainly showing soccer matches. edit
- Kings Arms Pub, Tollbugata 10, ☎ +47 32835993 (firstname.lastname@example.org). edit
- Lauritz Restaurant og Bar, Bragernes Torg 2 A, ☎ +47 32837722 (email@example.com). M,Tu,Th: 1PM-1.30AM, W: 1PM-3AM, F,Sa: 11AM-3.30AM, Su: 11AM-1.30AM. Wide selection of beer. edit
- Best Western Globus Hotel, Torgeir Vraas plass 13, ☎ +47 32890400 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +47 32890401). edit
- Clarion Collection Hotel Tollboden, Tollbugata 43, ☎ +47 32805100. edit
- First Hotel Ambassadeur, Strømsø torg 7, ☎ +47 31012100 (email@example.com, fax: +47 31012111). (59.74012,10.20227) edit
- Rica Park Hotel Drammen, Gamle kirkeplass 3, ☎ +47 32263600. edit
- The Council of the Drammen Region (directions=""), Rosenkrantsgaten 17, ☎ +47 32 82 30 00, . edit
- The Tourist Office (directions=""), Bragernes Torg 6, ☎ +47 32 21 64 50, . edit
- Blåfarveværket  in Åmot. An old mining industrial complex, made to museum and art galleries. The old mines are also open to the public. In the period 1770-1857 cobalt blue was manufactured here.
Try gorge jumping at Kjøsterudjuvet
The Kjøsterudjuvet is a 10,000-year-old gorge just ten minutes from downtown Drammen. This ravine in the mountain side is 1,300 metres long with a rise of 250 metres. The vertical walls are up to 60 metres high and the ravine is only 4 metres wide at its most narrow part.
Visit a farm
Bring the children to one of the many open farms in the region. Here, they can go riding and play in the hay. At Sand Farm in Hurum they have hens, sheep, pigs, ducks, rabbits, turkeys, horses and cats. The farm also has a small café selling delicious cakes and bread.
Arena Vestfossen in Øvre Eiker gives room to several contemporary artists. Paintings, photos, installations, furniture, design, performances and other visual art. Studios and galleries with possibilities of direct sales.[www.arenavestfossen.com]
Haugiani Glass/Maria og Magnus Hesslid
At Haugiani Glass in Øvre Eiker you can see the making of glass and buy goods directly from the artists’ own store. They accept all kinds of commissions, also hand engraving. Haugiani Glass lies in Shoddyhuset, where also Galleri Møllabekken is located.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!