Dhulikhel is in Kavrepalanchok District, Nepal. The town lies on the intersection of the Arkino Highway to Tibet and the B.P highway to Eastern Terai.
It is east side of kathmandu valley only 32 km far. You can go there by public bus or private car. Buses go from Kathmandu's Ratna park and it takes 2 hrs, Rs60.
From Dhulikhel buses can be caught to Tatopani and the Tibetan border crossing point of Phuma Bhanjyang.
- Kali Temple. Located at the top of the hill Dhulikhel, so you'll need to hike up considerable amount of steps. Although due to its heights there are some magnificent views from there. It is also a popular spot for locals on weekends. And it's under construction at the moment (Aug 2013) edit
- Bhagwati Temple, (close to old town's main square). Nice temple in the midst of the old town. edit
- Gosainthan hill, (half an hour walk from Dhulikhel). It is a religious place situated on a hill. There are temple, Hanuman, Baba's and Lord Shiva statues. You can see surrondings from this hill. edit
- Shiva temple. Small temple inside boundaries of the town edit
- Dhulikhel View Tower. Uphill for about 1km off town there is a view tower at 1650m above sea level. Offers excellent views. edit
A few trails available:
- Nawaranga Restaurant & Guest House with Art Gallery, (follow the main Dhulikhel road in direction from the main square to Kali Temple), ☎ 977 11 490226. They buy painting from surrounding areas and then sell it here, at what they call free art exhibition. edit
There are lots of grocery shops, stalls selling fruits scattered around town. There are as well some local cafes closer to the town's center. Also almost all hotels have restaurants inside.
There are lots of hotels in Dhulikhel. You'll encounter dozen of them just simply following Araniko Highway, there are also a few near the main square and few at the foot of the hill housing Kali temple.
- Panorama View Lodge, Dhulikhel Height, Dhulikhel-1, Kavre, Nepal (Follow the road through Dhulikhel, there is a sign at the bottom of the dirt road that leads to the top of the hill and the lodge. It is 30mins walk from bus station.), ☎ + 977-11-680786, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 12pm. Located near the top of the hill in Dhulikhel on the dirt road up to the Kali Temple. There is a restaurant with local and western foods which is popular for passing Nepali people on weekends. There are seven basic, a bit run-down rooms, four downstairs with balconies, three upstairs next to the rooftop area. There are cockroaches, not many, but still present. A very shady, suspicious tenants live permanently there. It feels very unsafe and insecure. On a clear day there are views of the Himalayas towards Everest, otherwise still impressive views over the valley below. The view is indeed absolutely fantastic, definitely one of the the best in Dhulikhel. Rs 1800 including breakfast, Rs 1200 without it. edit
- Araniko Hotel, Dhulikhel (In the beginning of ascend to Dhulikhel View Tower, directly on the Araniko Highway), ☎ 011 - 490480, 490367, . checkout: 12:00. They have 2 buildings: first - with quite simple, a bit old but cheaper rooms, another - with renovated spacious ones. Both have quite good views of the valley and the fields. Moderately priced and good food in a restaurant. WiFi. During power cut off they turn on generator - so you won't even notice it's off (as you have light in rooms and electricity in sockets). Rs1100 for simple double, Rs1700 for renovated double [Aug 2013]. edit
- Innate Pension, Dhulikhel (on the Bhattidanda Road, 15 minutes walk from the centre of Dhulikhel. It's a red, brick building opposite Dhulikhel Village Resort), ☎ +977 (0) 9841279282, . Very comfortable, clean and quiet guesthouse that feels more like a home. Guests have access to a full kitchen so they can self-cater if they want. Meals are available at the guesthouse or at restaurants nearby, and there's 24 hour electricity, Wifi, and hot water. Partial mountain views from rooftop and great vistas 2 mins walk away. The owner is a really genuine guy who is also the principal of a mountain village school 30kms away from Dhulikhel. (The school is called "Saping Medaka Family School" and gives totally free education to local kids. It's a great, non-touristy place to visit and the owner often takes guests on hikes up to the school and also has a volunteer program up there.) 1000 for a single, 1500 for a double, 800 for dormitory. Breakfast included. Discounts for long-term stays. edit
- High View Resort, Dhulikhel (start ascending to Dhulikhel View Tower, take country road to the left, about 700 from Araniko Highway), ☎ +977-11-490048, 490966, . Located near Dhulikhel View Tower 35-130$ depending on the type of a room and season. edit
- Himalayan Horizon, Dhulikhel (in the beginning of ascend to Dhulikhel View Tower, directly on the Araniko Highway), ☎ 011 - 490296, 490260, . OK but a bit old rooms. It's popular with package tourists. It has mountain views but in the direction opposite to Himalayan Range. 50$ [Aug 2013]. edit
There are reports of tourists that had been robbed in this area. So it's advisable to take some precautions while trekking here. For example join a group or even hire a guide.
- Namo Buddha is one of the most important Buddhist pilgrimage sites in Nepal and one of the holiest in the world. It is known as the place where the Buddha, in a previous life as a prince, gave his body to a starving tigress and her cubs.
- Panauti - one of the oldest towns in Nepal, consisting of many temples dating back to the 15th Century or earlier.
- Banepa - busy crossroads small town.
- The Arniko Highway to the Tibet Border and towns of Barabise, Tatopani, and Kodari.