Dennis is in Massachusetts on Cape Cod. It includes the villages of Dennis Port, East Dennis, South Dennis, and West Dennis. Dennis bills itself as the "Cultural Center of Cape Cod", and perhaps rightly so. It boasts the Cape Cod Museum of Art, the Cape Playhouse, and some really excellent art and craft galleries.
- From Boston take I-93 south to Route 3 south to the Sagamore Bridge (Becomes Rt. 6). Dennis is at Exit 9 off of Route 6, approximately 40 minutes from the Sagamore Bridge.
- From Providence or points south take I-95 north to I-195 to Route 25 south to the Bourne Bridge (I-495 also becomes Route 25). At the rotary (traffic circle) on the Cape side, go almost all the way around and travel along the Canal to Route 6 east. Dennis is at Exit 9 off of Route 6, approximately 40 minutes from the Sagamore Bridge.
- Plymouth & Brockton Street Railway, 17 Elm Av., Hyannis, +1 508-771-6191, .
- Most travelers would fly into Boston's Logan International Airport (BOS), , or Warwick, Rhode Island's T.F. Greene Airport (PVD),  near Providence.
Public transportation is non-existent in Dennis, so you will want a car to get around. While the shoulders are narrow on many of the roads, bicycles are also a great way to get around in Dennis.
- Windfest Cape Cod Freestyle Frenzy Wind Surfing Competition, West Dennis Beach, mid-June.
- Scargo Hill, Scargo Hill Rd., (Rte 6, Exit 9 to Route 143 north, LEFT on Rte 6A, LEFT on Scargo Hill Rd). Nice panoramic view of the Cape and across Cape Cod Bay from the top of the 28 ft (8.5 m) stone tower on the 160 ft (49 m) hill.
- Scargo Pottery, 30 Dr. Lord's Rd., South Dennis, +1 508-385-3894, . Fine, unusual pottery by various artists, including an outdoor display. Sometimes you can watch them work.
- Cape Cod Discovery Museum, 444 Route 28, Dennisport, +1 508-398-1600. Summer daily 9:30AM-7:30PM; off-season daily 9:30AM-5:30PM. Your kids will love it. Adults $2.50, children $4.50. Under age 1 free.
- Josiah Dennis Manse Museum and Schoolhouse, 77 Nobscusset Road, +1 508-385-2232. June-mid Sept. Free.
- Mayflower Beach, Off of Route 6A. One of the most beautiful beaches in Dennis. Best at low tide, when vast sandbars stretch for miles and the ocean recedes several hundred yards. Can get very crowded during tourist season: neighboring Chapin Beach is usually less crowded, but slightly rockier.
- Cape Cod Museum of Art, Route 6A (on the grounds of Cape Playhouse), +1 508-385-4477, . $7, free under 18. Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM; Su 12PM-5PM; Th until 8:30PM. Guided Docent Tours: We & Sa at 11AM, Su at 1PM. Preserves and displays the art of Cape Cod Artists.
- Cape Playhouse Center for the Arts, 820 Route 6A, +1 508-385-3838 (General Information), +1 508-385-3911 (Box Office). America's oldest professional summer theatre.
- Eventide Arts Festival, Dennis Union Church, Route 6A, +1 508-255-9255 (General Information), +1 508-255-9255 (Box Office).
- Bike the Cape Cod Rail Trail, Route 134, South Dennis, +1 508-896-3491. Free parking. This 22 mile bike trail follows an old railroad bed through several towns. Check their website or call them to check for closures.
- Golf. +1 508-385-1554, . Two public courses year round.
- Dennis Pines Par 72, 7000 yards.
- Dennis Highlands Par 71, 6500 yards.
- Albatross Deep Sea Fishing, Sesuit Harbor, +1 508-385-3244.
- Lad-Nav Sportfishing, Sesuit Harbor, +1 508-385-8150, . Reservations 7PM-9PM.
- Prime Rate Sport Fishing, Sesuit Harbor, +1 508-385-4626, 
- Tigger Too Sport Fishing, Sesuit Harbor, +1 508-888-8372, .
- Cape Cod Scenic Tours (Sightseeing Tours), South Dennis, ☎ 508-394-2221, . Seasonal 8AM-9PM. Sightseeing Day Tours of Cape Cod. We visit Historical areas, Windmills, Lighthouses, Cape Cod Bay, Harnors, Cape Cod National Seashore, Provincetown, lovely Chatham, Hyannis, JFK Memorial and much more. This is a fun tour and you will see so much of Cape Cod. Provides a nice picnic lunch and complimentry hotel pick up. A Cape Cod " Must Do". edit
- Ocean House, Depot St. Dennisport, +1 508-394-0700, . Top notch dining overlooking Nantucket Sound. Rated excellent by Zagat. $20-$35.
- Scargo Cafe, 799 Main St.(Rt. 6A), +1 508-385-8200, . Nice casual place right across from the theatre.
- Chapin's Restaurant, 85 Taunton Av., +1 508-385-7000,. "Beach casual" featuring outdoor raw bar.
- The Red Pheasant Inn, 905 Main St., +1 508-385-2133, . Apr-Dec daily 5PM-9:30PM; Jan-Mar W-Su 5PM-9:30PM. $20-$30.
- Gina's by the Sea, 134 Taunton Av., +1 508-385-3213.
- The Lighthouse Inn, 1 Lighthouse Inn Road, West Dennis, +1 508-398-2244, Fax: +1 508-398-5658, . Great oceanside location, some imaginative dinners. Lousy, small wine glasses. $19-$2Th8.
- The Sundae School, Lower County Road, Dennisport. One of the most popular ice cream shops in Dennis. A favorite of locals and tourists alike. Has a player piano and a neighboring candy shop.
- Kream N' Kone, Route 28, West Dennis, . Very affordable local seafood restaurant, known for its excellent fried seafood. Regularly recognized by Cape Cod Life magazine and various surveys.
- LaScala Restaurant, 106 Depot St, Dennisport, ☎ (508) 398-3910, . Tu-Sun 5-10PM. A family-friendly Italian restaurant focused on serving fresh, simple, delicious Italian food in a comfortable, home-like setting where everyone is welcomed as family and friends. edit
- Improper Bostonian, Route 28, +1 508-394-7416. Seasonal W-Sa. Live bands weekends. Sa 3PM-7PM DJ. 20s-30s crowd.
- Michael Patrick's Publick House, 435 Route 28, Dennisport, +1 508-398-1620. Irish music nightly in summer. In fall dancing on Friday and Saturday nights only. All ages.
- Rum Runners Cafe, 243 Lower County Rd., Dennisport, +1 508-398-5673. Nightly June-August. For the young and restless. Local blues and classic rock bands.
- Sand Bar (at the Lighthouse Inn), 4 Lighthouse Rd., West Dennis, +1 508-398-2244. W-Sa features Rock King, who has been a 38-year fixture here.
- Sundancer's, 116 Route 28, West Dennis, +1 508-394-1600, . On Bass River. Young crowd. Rock music in summer. Reggae on summer Sundays.
- Lost Dog Pub, 1374 Route 134, East Dennis, +1 508-385-6177. Where the locals hang out.
- The Breakers, 61 Chase Av., Dennisport, +1 508-398-6905 or 800-540-6905. Oceanfront.
- Briarcliffe Motel, 203 Route 6A, +1 888-575-3318 or +1 508-385-3464, . Set back on a hill along historic Route 6A, 2&3 room suites and outdoor pool. Refrigerators, phone, cable, and A/C. $90-$155 in season.
- Colonial Village Motel and Cottages, 426 Lower County Rd., Dennisport, +1 508-398-2071, . Glass-enclosed pool, outdoor pool, sauna & jacuzzi. Motel rooms, kitchenettes, & cottages. Five minute walk to beach. $105-$170 in season.
- The Corsair & Cross Rip Oceanfront Motels, 41 Chase Av., Dennisport MA 02639, +1 508-398-6600 or +1 800-345-5140, . Private beach, indoor heated pool with game rooms, 2 outdoor pools, 2 outdoor whirlpools. Most units have 2 queen beds with kitchenettes. $195-$345 in season.
- Dennisport Ocean View Beach Houses, P.O. Box 127, Dennisport, +1 508-398-3615. Sea Captain's Homes on Cape Cod's Nantucket Sound.
- Holiday Hill Motor Inn, 352 Main St., Dennisport, +1 508-394-5577, . $80-$125 in season.
- The Huntsman Motor Lodge, 829 Main St., West Dennis, +1 508-394-5415, . Year round. Family owned and operated. Rooms, some efficiencies. Pool. $89-$115 in season.
- Lighthouse Inn, 1 Lighthouse Inn Road, +1 508-398-2244, . Accommodations include cottages, carriage house, and a lodge. Amenities include pool, private bath, air conditioning, refrigerators, in-room safe, television, data-port, and hairdryers. Located near beaches, golf courses, hiking/biking trails, and shopping.
- The Old Landing Motel at Sea Street Beach, 15 Sea Street, Dennisport, +1 508-398-5921, . Lifeguarded beach behind the motel. $90-$160 in season.
- Sesuit Harbor Motel, 1421 Main St., East Dennis, +1 508-385-3326, . $80-$130 in season. $80-$130 in season.
- Shifting Sands Motel, 9 Chase Av., Dennisport, +1 508-398-9145, . Beachfront with balconies. $130-$170 in season.
- The Garlands, Old Wharf Road, Dennis Port, +1 508-398-6987, . Beachfront. $125-$155 in season.
- Three Seasons Resort, 421 Old Wharf Rd., Dennis Port, +1 508-398-6091, . $185-$230 in season.
- Campers Haven, 184 Old Wharf Road, Dennisport, +1 508-398-2811, Email: email@example.com, . 248 sites.
- Old Chatham Road RV Resort, 310 Old Chatham Road, South Dennis, +1 508-385-3616, . 310 sites.
Nearby Hyannis, one of the villages of Barnstable, boasts the largest downtown area in the mid-Cape, as well as the Cape Cod Mall, the largest mall on the Cape. Main Street is lined with ice cream parlors, restaurants, salt water taffy shops, bars, art galleries, and lots of souvenir shops. Although some say it has gotten tackier in recent years, it is still worth a visit.
A bit farther out from Dennis is Provincetown, located at the tip of the Cape. Arguably the gay capital of the Northeast, Provincetown is home to a wide array of shops, art galleries, bars, bed & breakfasts, and particularly good restaurants. While the cobblestone streets can get a bit raucous at night, it is far and away the most vibrant town in the area and still retains the antique charm of Cape Cod. Definitely worth a visit.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!