Den Helder is a town in North Holland.
Den Helder still shows remnants of being a fortress in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. If you look at a map (even on your phone), you can still see the star-shaped moats in the north of the city. Some are visible by walking around the sea-wall, but are not as well preserved as Naarden.
Den Helder is the beginning of the train connection in the direction of Alkmaar and Amsterdam . Every half an hour an intercity train leaves from Den Helder to Amsterdam. This train stops at all stations between Den Helder and Alkmaar. The train from Amsterdam Centraal is roughly 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Lange Jaap Lighthouse (Long James), Zeeweg, Den Helder (near Fort Kijkduin), ☎ 31 223 671 200. edit One of the tallest active traditional lighthouses in the world
Visit: Musea and other things to see in Den Helder are:
- Fort Kijkduin, a fortress build in 1811.
- Oude Rijkswerf Willemsoord
- Nationaal Reddingmuseum Dorus Rijkers
- Käthe Kruse Poppen- en speelgoedmuseum
- Marinedagen of the Koninklijke Marine (Rayal Netherlands Navy)
- Oranjerie De Groene Parel
- Kunst & Natuur project De Nollen
- Sail Den Helder 2013, Marine Haven Den Helder, . Free entrance. edit
- Hotel Lands End, Havenplein 1, ☎ 0031(223)625658, . edit
- Spijz, Koningstraat 70, 1781 KJ Den helder, ☎ 0031(0)223-613035, . Also suited for: Vegetarian, lactose free, gluten free, organic and sugar-free. edit
- Forest Hotel, Julianaplein 43 (Centre of Den Helder), ☎ +31 223 614858, . From €77.50. edit
- Grand Hotel Beatrix, Badhuisstraat 2-10 (in Huisduinen, along the coast), ☎ +31 223 624000 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Located behind the coastal dike, short walking distance to the beach. From €99.50. edit